January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I would like to sign Digne just so there's further evidence to the contrary that Villa are only interested in signing young players because of an interview Purslow gave several years ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Twitter seems to think that Digne is happening. That’s a surprise given his age/price?

been thinking about the age thing.

I think with Gerrard, i really think that in his mind he has 2-3 years to show he can kick Villa on to the next level, and although im sure he will continue to develop our youth etc, but i also think he will be more than open to bringing in 28/29/30 year olds to really assist in kicking us on in the next 6 months to 2/3 years etc.

In reality, Gerrard can go full youth developer, buying younger players to develop etc, but if in 3 years Villa havent kicked on, his tenure probably wont be seen as a success, and if he wants to move on to another job higher up the food chain at some point, he will really have needed to show he kicked Villa on.

I tihnk under Gerrard we will see our youth developed still, but i also think in terms of transfers, we will probably see a fair few more "fully developed" players coming in to the Villa first team for short term progress, than we were used to before.

Lots of talk on Twitter of us being interested in Lucas Digne.  Regardless of the cost, he's a huge upgrade on Targett and prior to Rafa's arrival, was one of the most consistent attacking LBs in the Prem.  Sounds like he's struggled to adapt to Rafaball and had a fallout with the manager and they've already signed his replacement this window, so it's not a question of if he is going, it's where he's going to. 

Fullbacks play a huge part the width and build up play in Gerrard's formation and we need an upgrade from both the Mattys in order to continue to progress up the table.  Digne would be a phenomenal signing, paired up with Coutinho down the left.  Get it done, boys!  UTV!!!

• Like 1

Obviously all depends on what's going on with his off the field situation, but If we want Bissouma we will sign him, as for him as a player I had previously been of the opinion that he was slightly overrated but then watched him more closely and he's a lot better than I realized. He's not an attacking player though so don't expect him to have any talent in that department, he's comfortable on the ball, can carry the ball forward, and is a good passer, better than Nakamba for example, but don't expect anything more than that, so I don't understand those that say he's an 8 or would be ideal for that role, he's as a DM for Brighton, and that's where he'd play for us.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

been thinking about the age thing.

I think with Gerrard, i really think that in his mind he has 2-3 years to show he can kick Villa on to the next level, and although im sure he will continue to develop our youth etc, but i also think he will be more than open to bringing in 28/29/30 year olds to really assist in kicking us on in the next 6 months to 2/3 years etc.

In reality, Gerrard can go full youth developer, buying younger players to develop etc, but if in 3 years Villa havent kicked on, his tenure probably wont be seen as a success, and if he wants to move on to another job higher up the food chain at some point, he will really have needed to show he kicked Villa on.

I tihnk under Gerrard we will see our youth developed still, but i also think in terms of transfers, we will probably see a fair few more "fully developed" players coming in to the Villa first team for short term progress, than we were used to before.

We also have a fairly young team so a few quality experienced players around will help.

• Like 3

Digne + Coutinho + Bissouma if we could get him/off pitch issues etc are sorted would be huge signings and massive improvements to the team and squad. other teams would really sit up and take notice of what we are trying to do here. Ings and Watkins and buendia would hopefully improve and Sanson stays fit etc, along with nakamba playing how he was would see us quite competitive. We can pull some of these off for sure though, and I reckon Digne would be interested in us

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Obviously all depends on what's going on with his off the field situation, but If we want Bissouma we will sign him, as for him as a player I had previously been of the opinion that he was slightly overrated but then watched him more closely and he's a lot better than I realized. He's not an attacking player though so don't expect him to have any talent in that department, he's comfortable on the ball, can carry the ball forward, and is a good passer, better than Nakamba for example, but don't expect anything more than that, so I don't understand those that say he's an 8 or would be ideal for that role, he's as a DM for Brighton, and that's where he'd play for us.

Nakamba looked like world beater in the new role he was given. Bissouma in that role is an upgrade and a half. That’s all he needs to do. Mcginn and Ramsey/Douglas then play alongside him. We don’t need any creativity from whoever we sign. Tackles/interceptions and good passing, ie Bissouma. 

Don’t really feel like I’ve seen enough of Digne to make a good judgement but he looks a decent enough player. Also I looked at several top 10 LBs in world list going back a few years and he always seems to appear in them which I guess must be a good sign. 

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Don't know much about Bissouma - is he worth becoming our record signing?

I would be very happy if we signed him, if we were sure there’s not going to be issues with his allegations. Having looked at Zakaria and Kamara I would also be happy with those but I’m not sure how they’ve not been bought by other clubs yet. Zakaria could end up anywhere and Kamaras contract is up soon. I thought he would be away by now. The thing we can guarantee with Bissouma is he can perform in the league, only 25 too. And very good at what he does  

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? Danny Ings. 

Ings is one of the top 3 strikers in the division statistically, and forwards always have a premium so I was not surprised by this. I have no issue with a [28/29] y.o. however £30m is a big number for a fullback at that age when we are also looking at Hickey at similar money. This is clearly a much more expensive deal than Hickey would be given the professional life of the players in question.

Incidentally, looks a decent player so would be happy. You know we will have done our home work.

Ok wanted to state that the Coutinho signing was incredible.

But I am surprised we are not using all the data and experts to uncover gems/potential from overseas leagues.

Not saying buying proven big names isn't important and we have clearly been doubling our efforts to uncover new youth talent.

but 50 mil on Bissouma is a hefty fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I would like to sign Digne just so there's further evidence to the contrary that Villa are only interested in signing young players because of an interview Purslow gave several years ago.

Young, Martinez Coutinho, Ings. I feel like that’s enough evidence.

31 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

But I am surprised we are not using all the data and experts to uncover gems/potential from overseas leagues.

Not saying buying proven big names isn't important and we have clearly been doubling our efforts to uncover new youth talent.

Depends on the remit is for Gerrard. 

If the board have stated that they want European football next season, Gerrard may have said it's possible, but he requires 3 or 4 players in key positions and unless the board are willing to risk players taking a year or two to settle in the country/league, then we may need to buy players who know the league already. 

34 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I’m sure there will be some of that but these players often take time, see the class of Gueye, Adama, Veretout etc. (Obviously there was more to it but you get my point).

When there is proven quality available that will improve us immediately I’m glad we are snapping it up.

Edited by penguin

I'm not convinced that Digne is a huge upgrade on Targett.

He posts some good numbers from an assist perspective, but so does Targett over the course of a season generally.

Just feel that we need something a bit more for the price being touted.

50m for bissouma with a court case hanging over him and all that curtails is madness.

Typical villa though...if we did sign  him and he isnt on the bench..not due to covid but due to him being in belmarsh lol...i jest of course