Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

Could barely hear Lille fans from the upper holte today. Could see lots of movement so they were clearly making noise but drowned out where we were.

Hope it sounded similar on the TV.

Was a bit frustrated at how many Blues chants there were and it was difficult to get going again after we conceded, but overall the atmosphere was good - ears hurt a big from the rafters being banged!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That clip 5 mins from the end with us 2-1 up in Europe and the villa fans looking thoroughly depressed sat down arms folded... 

Miserable words removed, completely flat 

It's so detrimental 

And someone will no doubt say "oh its cos the players conceded a shit goal again" it's not, we're just miserable as a fanbase 

It was absolutely because we conceded. It’s a great win, but in that instance it felt like a loss 

John McGinn has come out and said that the atmosphere was flat at the end and we should be pleased with the win, but the players looked subdued at the end also. The clean sheet and 2 goal lead would have meant so much. We didn’t completely blow it but we made life harder for ourselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The heightened expectation is playing out a bit odd. Atmosphere seems better when we are the underdog or have lower expectations. I can't explain it

But that's literally how that works. When you get there the hype often isn't there. It's why Man City atmosphere isn't good, they're so used to winning. Their best atmosphere was on the way up through the divisions. 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That clip 5 mins from the end with us 2-1 up in Europe and the villa fans looking thoroughly depressed sat down arms folded... 

Miserable words removed, completely flat 

It's so detrimental 

And someone will no doubt say "oh its cos the players conceded a shit goal again" it's not, we're just miserable as a fanbase 

The atmosphere was brilliant last night. 

There were a few dips which happens when you’re under the cosh and/or you’ve conceded. But in general it was excellent. 

Last night is the wrong night to complain about the atmosphere

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There were a few dips which happens when you’re under the cosh and/or you’ve conceded. But in general it was excellent. 

would agree until they scored, it sucked the air out of the place in a way that it shouldn't have, it was completely deflated 

there was seemingly no belief that we could go on to get a 3rd goal rather it was more the inevitable that they would equalise

people were leaving at the 90 minute mark too rather than stay for extra time 

18 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

English stadiums are all about the spur-of-the-moment vibe, with fans reacting on the fly to what's happening on the field. Chants can pop up out of nowhere, adding some laughs or cleverness to the mix. But, when things aren't going well for the team, that energy can die down. It's always been like that.

Meanwhile, over in European football and Ultras culture, it's more like a well-oiled machine. They plan everything way in advance — chants, tifos, pyro etc. They've got Capos keeping the chants going for the full 90 minutes.

Basically, it's like comparing a spontaneous jam session to a fully rehearsed gig. There's something to appreciate about both styles. In English stadiums, that silence after a mistake can really hit the players hard. But in places like Serbia, Germany, Poland, Turkey etc. the fans keep the chants going no matter what, which can really boost the team's morale. 

We don't need to completely alter our fan culture or mirror European ultras, but there are certainly insights we can draw from their practices.

I personally think overall the reactive English crowds make for better atmospheres. In Europe you can sometimes get a disconnect between what’s going on in the pitch and the crowd. Like there’s just a concert going on in the background whilst the game is playing, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

would agree until they scored, it sucked the air out of the place in a way that it shouldn't have, it was completely deflated 

there was seemingly no belief that we could go on to get a 3rd goal rather it was more the inevitable that they would equalise

I was one of these and it’s because of the way they have policed it. They block Witton lane so you have to go all the way around the ground to get to Witton station and then wait even longer to get on the platform as the away fans have to get on first. 

If you go Aston it’s carnage too due to the extra fans having to head that way. 

I get fans should stay until the end in big games but people don’t want to spend hours getting home either.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I completely disagree. It was a bit nervy, which is understandable given recent results, but there was plenty of belief. Also the team were clearly happy to take the 2-1, the crowd responds to that.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That sucks but it's a midweek game with shit trains and extra policing. It's always going to happen.

I really don't understand picking a big european night when the atmosphere was excellent to pick on the fans. It was brilliant last night

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrchnry said:

I think the atmosphere went quiet after their goal because we all sH*t ourselves after what happened against Brentford. 

Yes definitely.   I was extremely worried for those last few minutes, more than i should have been.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed, thought it was excellent, especially in the first half.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Think it was more fear than belief but there is definite nerves that set in as soon as we concede at 2-0, the crowd becomes tense and I think the players feel it and become more jittery. We need to break out of this habit before it kills our season.

• Like 1

Didn't do much after we scored the 2nd and the atmosphere dropped off. Hard to get the crowd going when we were just passing it round the back looking to slow the game down.

Pre-match music is still horrendous, turn it off.

Â