Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Didn't do much after we scored the 2nd and the atmosphere dropped off. Hard to get the crowd going when we were just passing it round the back looking to slow the game down.

Pre-match music is still horrendous, turn it off.

Agree about the music and the PA system

But to me villa at large are stuck with what we used to be rather than what we now are both in terms of playing style and being scared 

Too many fans still believe football should be played by getting the ball out wide to wingers and running at people, no matter how much success it brings us Emery will seemingly still be tippy tappy shite to too many people 

I'm guessing a lot of people there last night will defend it because they didn't see it but seriously the camera panning around VP in the 85th minute was shocking how glum the place was, it was genuinely like we weren't winning, face like we were being knocked out... Because they're consigned to it already in their own heads, that goal knocked us out, it's daft 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree about the music and the PA system

But to me villa at large are stuck with what we used to be rather than what we now are both in terms of playing style and being scared 

Too many fans still believe football should be played by getting the ball out wide to wingers and running at people, no matter how much success it brings us Emery will seemingly still be tippy tappy shite to too many people 

I'm guessing a lot of people there last night will defend it because they didn't see it but seriously the camera panning around VP in the 85th minute was shocking how glum the place was 

Fully agree with this. As a fan base I think we're quite old-fashioned in some respects.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Fully agree with this. As a fan base I think we're quite old-fashioned in some respects.

The 1982 brigade (as I call them) the front of the upper Holte are terrible for this. We could be winning 3:0 and they are moaning to pass it forward, shoot from 40 yards. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I can agree with this as an almost 66 year old! Yes it is more exciting to see a winger running down the wing and running at the defence, (only to probably lose the ball), but it is getting out of date this style of footy tbh and us fans need to catch up with the modern game. Its totally different game to the 1970's when I were a lad...

The problem is we the fans have had years of rubbish football and are starved of good football and demand almost to be entertained. 

I stand (back of the upper Holte), and really tried to watch how the Villa play these days, Villa seemingly tippy tapping the ball about, but watching carefully it's all to do with drawing opposition players out of position. Look at where this "new football" has got us under Emery and compare what we had before and the limitations of the "older style".

Yes it might not be so exciting to watch but we are winning more games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Absolutely agree. Especially with things like style of play, building a squad etc.

It's a squad game now and it is also about building from the back. We need to be a bit more resolute.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 09:13, TRO said:

I don't know if we have ever, been like that....are they like that all the time, or just playing Barcelona?

Newcastle fans do seem to be noisy, but they do play with high intensity too.

I think how a team plays, has a lot to do with it......Arsenal fans do see to have found their voice too, and Liverpool have always been high intensity traditionally.

I am not sure props will work....I think it has to be natural....but hey ho, just my opinion.

Fair enough mate, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it and see where you're coming from!

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

The 1982 brigade (as I call them) the front of the upper Holte are terrible for this. We could be winning 3:0 and they are moaning to pass it forward, shoot from 40 yards. 

Do you think any of this so-called 1982 brigade will be up for joining the 1897 Group or will it be too confusing numbers-wise? 🤣

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

John McGinn has come out and said that the atmosphere was flat at the end and we should be pleased with the win, but the players looked subdued at the end also. The clean sheet and 2 goal lead would have meant so much. We didn’t completely blow it but we made life harder for ourselves.

After we got the 2nd it looked like they had been told to sit back a little.

Overall, I don't think the atmosphere was too bad. I would hope if we get through then the semi final 1st leg will be bonkers. But who knows

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

It’s why many fans can’t see things like having ladies toilets only on one side of a stand is not good in this day and age. So much change needed at the ground.  But that’s another topic. 

Still think the atmosphere was decent last night though.

• Like 1

57th min when we all started singing mcginns name was deafening, don’t think I’ve heard villa park louder than that. Before kick off hi hi Aston Villa was sung with a lot more gusto, probably due to the alcohol consumption pre match!

also there is a place for wingers and crossing the ball in, during the Brentford game we needed to start playing like that a lot earlier as the middle was too congested and magically when we started playing like that we looked like we were going to win the game, also Brentford kept it simple and direct and scored 3 goals via wing play. Emery’s style is very effective for us but sometimes you need to get it into the mixer 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

57th min when we all started singing mcginns name was deafening, don’t think I’ve heard villa park louder than that. Before kick off hi hi Aston Villa was sung with a lot more gusto, probably due to the alcohol consumption pre match!

also there is a place for wingers and crossing the ball in, during the Brentford game we needed to start playing like that a lot earlier as the middle was too congested and magically when we started playing like that we looked like we were going to win the game, also Brentford kept it simple and direct and scored 3 goals via wing play. Emery’s style is very effective for us but sometimes you need to get it into the mixer 

Yep, Bailey needs to vary his runs, go outside sometimed and drive it from the byline.

Emery has largely got the players he started with and to me, as great as our midfield is in possession, out of possession they are to similar poor in the tackle, not great in the air amd dont mark up well, with Kamara out we look exposed to runners through the middle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Good atmosphere yesterday. Suprised Lille didn't sell both the upper and lower tier. Have we given up on announcing  the attendance now?

If you've missed the 1897 Group's plans for the Bournemouth game this Sunday (detailed above in this thread and in the thread in the Bournemouth home match section of VT) then there is still time to join the group to help make Villa Park rock and help get the team over the line by purchasing tickets directly through the club in blocks P9-P11 (our reserved section is in P9) or by relocating your existing season/match ticket to this area of the stadium just for this game.

The more the merrier! 

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Sorry for the negative on tonight of all nights.  However I am starting to wonder if the reason English clubs perform poorly in Europe relative to their ability is because every single non English club appears to have a bouncing hostile atmosphere.  English fans as discussed previously only react to what’s happening on the pitch in the now or only sing when they’re winning.  For all the stick (some warranted) ultras culture gets its absence in England basically means the best league in the world has the worst atmospheres in the world.    

Fenerbahce or Olympiakos will be rough away from home. 

This is why The 1897 Group needs all the support from you guys as we can get, starting Sunday as we have our own section in block P9 as I've mentioned in this thread.

Is it going to be like a Fenerbahce home crowd? No, of course not. But it's a start, and it's for like-minded fans who think this way such as yourself, we implore all Villa fans to join/support us.

Dibu has called on the home fans to bring the noise on Sunday as we'll need to give the exhausted lads a boost to help get them over the line! Join The 1897 Group in blocks P9-P11!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, wedge said:

This is why The 1897 Group needs all the support from you guys as we can get, starting Sunday as we have our own section in block P9 as I've mentioned in this thread.

Is it going to be like a Fenerbahce home crowd? No, of course not. But it's a start, and it's for like-minded fans who think this way such as yourself, we implore all Villa fans to join/support us.

Dibu has called on the home fans to bring the noise on Sunday as we'll need to give the exhausted lads a boost to help get them over the line! Join The 1897 Group in blocks P9-P11!

Oh absolutely and I welcome this whole heartedly.  Won’t be able to relocate for the Bournemouth game but I’ll be absolutely be all over any future stuff you guys plan. 

I go to a decent amount of games in Germany and we could definitely take a leaf out of their book.  There’s unique things about English football culture that I wouldn’t change or swap for the world, but we really do need to bring the noise more. 

• Like 1

In response to Emi's post-match interview calling on the fans to help lift the team tomorrow and in addition to The 1897 Group's presence, the club in their matchday info have promoted supporters to gather in the Trinity Road fanzone tomorrow for the team bus's arrival at 1.30pm to give the players a raucous welcome to the stadium: https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/april/20/Matchday-Guide--Aston-Villa-v-Bournemouth/

Tomorrow should be electric!!!

• Like 2

Â