Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree for many reasons

1) I don’t bother getting food and drink at half time these days because I’m not missing the game and there is no chance of that if you want food and drink in the Holte.  It’s only small revenue for the Villa but it’s just stupid in this day and age, the lines mean a lot don’t go and get food and drink.

2) I’m sure I’m going to miss a goal one day through standing up or the row(s) in front of me standing up because people going, as you say, five minutes before half time or getting back five minutes after half time and them trying to get back to their seats.  It’s bad enough people leaving five minutes leaving before the end of the game to “miss the traffic” which is always likely to be a time for a goal and me, like a lot of people, looking around people leaving or those accommodating them.

Food service has to get better at Villa at half time but I doubt it ever will.

It’s not even about missing a few minutes od the game, the qeues and the dicking around whilst being served (how long to hand over a pint and unscrew a couple of bottle lids). The last time I was there I waited around to be told there’s no more beer in the pumps and I gave up trying to put a bet on before the game she was taking so long. It’s just crap unless you’re in hospitality.

• Like 3

It’s not just a Villa thing though, it appears to be every single football ground in the country.  Don’t even consider getting food or a drink at half time.  I consider the bar closed at half 2 wherever I am.

13 hours ago, Hamburglar said:

It’s not even about missing a few minutes od the game, the qeues and the dicking around whilst being served (how long to hand over a pint and unscrew a couple of bottle lids). The last time I was there I waited around to be told there’s no more beer in the pumps and I gave up trying to put a bet on before the game she was taking so long. It’s just crap unless you’re in hospitality.

The facilities are poor there just isn't the space and the facilities to serve a mass of people in such a small space of time.

Saying that the staff are **** awful. Not there fault like. Outsourced mostly kids and zero leadership or common sense amongst up to a dozen people in one kiosk.

I'd be surprised we're not subsidising it and it's costing us money tbfh .

On 25/02/2022 at 19:26, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Kind of related to the VP atmosphere... but one of my pet hates since forever has been the choice – if you want to get served – of either leaving your seat 5 minutes before half time or returning 5 minutes after. Watford was only the second game I’ve made this season (the first being Wolves – some lucky charm, me!) but when I went to join the queues in Trinity Upper after about 42 minutes, I noticed the screens no longer show the live match going on outside, or even Soccer Saturday. Just a bunch of scrolling adverts.

Is this the norm now? Is it some kind of live stream licensing issue? Because if this is just the club’s attempt to get people to stay in their seats until half time, then they are really approaching things in a wrong-headed way. The correct answer – obviously – would be to get some proper training and management into the serving staff (nothing against them) and speed up the painfully slow rate of service so no-one has to leave their seat early. Unless there is some other reason, it feels like the club is punishing fans before addressing its own failings.

This has really annoyed me too. I assumed it was some bullshit covid thing.

I love my halftime pint but I’m now having to miss parts of the game for it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be alot of as gerrard will put it "noise" on social media about villa park atmosphere lately how bad its been.

I have to say it was pretty bad against arsenal. I think its because we have nothing to play for so the fans are not overly excited this year

I think it was excellent against manure but been abit flat since

Edited by Demitri_C

Doesn't help when the team has a poor home record. Won 5/14 home games and feels like there's a big gap between each home win. Can only think of the Southampton game recently where the players have put in a good performance, before that it was Man Utd in January and Leicester early December. 

• Like 1

It's not really a Villa thing it's an English thing.  Fans here only react to what is happening on the pitch whereas a lot of overseas fans go out with the intention of creating an atmosphere from the get go (although this does appear to sometimes come at the expense of actually paying attention to the game).

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's not really a Villa thing it's an English thing.  Fans here only react to what is happening on the pitch whereas a lot of overseas fans go out with the intention of creating an atmosphere from the get go (although this does appear to sometimes come at the expense of actually paying attention to the game).

Hmmm, sounds like a plan, I am in 

• Haha 2

I tell you what would have been funny and a touch ironic last Saturday morning, the Holte - End breaking out in unison to that dreadful song of, " dah, dah ,dah, football in a library ". 

There was a time when the Holte was full of irony, then again, there was a time when "Holte-Enders In The Sky " was song in the correct tune.

It felt pretty electric the last time I was there. A great mix of atmosphere and also watching the game.

The away end at Palace was fun too, but seemed much more “sing our lungs out and party” rather than closely following the match. Which tbf is perhaps to be expected, I have no prior experience to compare it to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere tonight. Absolutely electric, loud and proud. A number of times in The Lower Holte a song which sounded deafening would come to an end and you suddenly realise the other side of the Holte was singing another song just as loudly. 

Great stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

Worst aways fans I’ve seen at VP for many a year. I sit be the away end and barely heard them all game, very strange. Might just have been nerves.

I think there was some trouble before the game - there was a very heavy police presence around the Liverpool fans after the match.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think there was some trouble before the game - there was a very heavy police presence around the Liverpool fans after the match.

Yeah, I noticed this after the game, thought it was strange. 

Â