Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I don't get to every game, but manage to get to about 2-3 games per season with my Dad. This is the first game I have been to in the Gerrard era, and first since Brenford in August/September time. I noticed a definite drop in confidence and noise on show from the fans during this visit. The fans are usually very loud pre-match and for the first 15 minutes at the very least, but it was noticeable how quiet things were after only a few minutes had passed. The team didn't do alot to get the crowd going though to be fair. The play seemed very labourious and slow, and it was frustrating to see Cash out wide in acres of space waiting for the pass, only for the midfield to turn and play it back to the left hand side or through the heavily congested centre of the park.

As the game wore on there was an air of inevitability that we were never going to score, as it would seem we just kept repeating the same patterns of play that hadn't worked previously. I was unsurprised to see that we were eventually hit with a sucker punch, we have all seen it many times before. After the goal It felt like half the crowd had given up and left before the end, which can't help the players. The crowd need to believe, and hope that feeling transfers onto the players. I know games like Saturday make it hard to believe though.

I read somewhere that we have lost 19 of the last 39 league games, it’s hard to be positive with those stats as the game goes on.  You just feel that you will be sucker punched.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I read somewhere that we have lost 19 of the last 39 league games, it’s hard to be positive with those stats as the game goes on.  You just feel that you will be sucker punched.

Yeah we need something to happen to lift the spirits, maybe things might have been different if the referee had given that early penalty shout for the nudge on Ings. We need to start games stronger and get the crowd up, too many times this season we seem to start flat and have been a goal down in the first 15 minutes or so, so I can fully understand the fans trepidation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Other than the championship years our home record in the last 10 years or so has verged from the deeply mediocre to utter garbage. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has admitted that himself......its hard to see past the manager as its their responsibilty......even if they can't kick the ball for them.

Tbf it'd be alarming if he didn't. Talk is cheap, though, as we saw last week with the idea of wholesale changes to the side and only one on the day. 

Gerrard may well bring us out of this slump but the fact that we're dealing with another managerial learning curve due to inexperience is frustrating to say the least, seeing as that's exactly why Smith was let go. 

It took a long time for VP to not be a toxic venue and I really hope that it doesn't become one again.

• Like 1

Just tried to get two tickets for Southampton  - literally only a few singular tickets left here and there at dead on 5pm. Makes no sense how demand is so high yet from what everyone who’s going is saying the atmosphere is as a flat as a pancake and everyone hates being there 😂 make it make sense! 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Tbf it'd be alarming if he didn't. Talk is cheap, though, as we saw last week with the idea of wholesale changes to the side and only one on the day. 

Gerrard may well bring us out of this slump but the fact that we're dealing with another managerial learning curve due to inexperience is frustrating to say the least, seeing as that's exactly why Smith was let go. 

It took a long time for VP to not be a toxic venue and I really hope that it doesn't become one again.

I think his reaction after the Newcastle game was born out of frustration, thats where the inexperience shows....I was unsure with my feelings on the squad, where these realistic changes were coming from.

I don't think he has really plausible options....that is another source of frustration for him and us.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think his reaction after the Newcastle game was born out of frustration, thats where the inexperience shows....I was unsure with my feelings on the squad, where these realistic changes were coming from.

I don't think he has really plausible options....that is another source of frustration for him and us.

Of course he has options, there are tons of things he could do with this squad. It's completely unacceptable to lose at home to bottom of the league.

His game plan has been found out by the other teams and it's easy to nullify. The issue is with the system, not the players.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Of course he has options, there are tons of things he could do with this squad. It's completely unacceptable to lose at home to bottom of the league.

His game plan has been found out by the other teams and it's easy to nullify. The issue is with the system, not the players.

I disagree.....its both.

but they are not mutually exclusive.

The system has been played with by both managers, due to the playing personnel they both had/have...and solutions have eluded us.

Most of our options are Academy kids, if that's an option ,fine.

What would you do?

3 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Just tried to get two tickets for Southampton  - literally only a few singular tickets left here and there at dead on 5pm. Makes no sense how demand is so high yet from what everyone who’s going is saying the atmosphere is as a flat as a pancake and everyone hates being there 😂 make it make sense! 

Loyalty!

When it’s great it’s great, when it’s bad it’s really bad.  

Villa heightens the emotions ten fold but you don’t turn your back, this is our club, you go through the bad together and you celebrate together.  

We maybe fickle fans in terms of views, talk trash on websites or defend to the high hills but we love our club, we are loyal to our club and we will always be there through the good and bad…that’s why!

This is our club, not the owners, not the management and not the players.  We will be there long after they are gone.  

It’s tough being there with the results lately and we become more nervous but we are still there, like we were yesterday, like we will be tomorrow.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Loyalty!

When it’s great it’s great, when it’s bad it’s really bad.  

Villa heightens the emotions ten fold but you don’t turn your back, this is our club, you go through the bad together and you celebrate together.  

We maybe fickle fans in terms of views, talk trash on websites or defend to the high hills but we love our club, we are loyal to our club and we will always be there through the good and bad…that’s why!

This is our club, not the owners, not the management and not the players.  We will be there long after they are gone.  

It’s tough being there with the results lately and we become more nervous but we are still there, like we were yesterday, like we will be tomorrow.

Fair point for sure. Guess I just find it frustrating not being able to get tickets when I hear about people abusing the players whereas when I go I am cheering and chanting from the first to last minute whatever the score. 

• Like 1

For me the atmosphere is partially due to the high number of Season Ticket holders. This means most there are there week in week out and have witnessed the good start under SG but also seen how it's kind of gone off the boil. There was a lift when Coutinho came in (& how) but that was kind of ruined by the Mings error strewn performance which resulted in throwing away a 2 goal lead (again as per Wolves). Since then we have really been struggling to even create anything and just about every single VAR decision going has gone against us home & away. So for me it's like a realisation that the season has decended into  mediocrity at best but also with a tinge of fear that it could even end up in a real scrap for survival.... so the bubble has burst 100%. The atmosphere is the realisation of this in my view. It all feels a bit flat especially as when SG came it was all about a possible push for Europe etc.

It's a bit like getting excited that your getting a new car which you've been promised for years and then a second hand scrapper turns up.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I disagree.....its both.

but they are not mutually exclusive.

The system has been played with by both managers, due to the playing personnel they both had/have...and solutions have eluded us.

Most of our options are Academy kids, if that's an option ,fine.

What would you do?

This system is not the same as Smith's at all - what are you on about?

18 hours ago, lexicon said:

This system is not the same as Smith's at all - what are you on about?

Oops.....

Apologies....I meant to say, different systems have been played by both managers.....not the same system.

thanks for the heads up.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

For me the atmosphere is partially due to the high number of Season Ticket holders. This means most there are there week in week out and have witnessed the good start under SG but also seen how it's kind of gone off the boil. There was a lift when Coutinho came in (& how) but that was kind of ruined by the Mings error strewn performance which resulted in throwing away a 2 goal lead (again as per Wolves). Since then we have really been struggling to even create anything and just about every single VAR decision going has gone against us home & away. So for me it's like a realisation that the season has decended into  mediocrity at best but also with a tinge of fear that it could even end up in a real scrap for survival.... so the bubble has burst 100%. The atmosphere is the realisation of this in my view. It all feels a bit flat especially as when SG came it was all about a possible push for Europe etc.

It's a bit like getting excited that your getting a new car which you've been promised for years and then a second hand scrapper turns up.

I agree....The mood in the ground in sombre.

No one wants to keep moaning, but the reality is there also......its hard to be upbeat, when a boat is sinking.

We are all Villa fans come wind, rain or shine....but this form is making us silent.

• Like 1

Kind of related to the VP atmosphere... but one of my pet hates since forever has been the choice – if you want to get served – of either leaving your seat 5 minutes before half time or returning 5 minutes after. Watford was only the second game I’ve made this season (the first being Wolves – some lucky charm, me!) but when I went to join the queues in Trinity Upper after about 42 minutes, I noticed the screens no longer show the live match going on outside, or even Soccer Saturday. Just a bunch of scrolling adverts.

Is this the norm now? Is it some kind of live stream licensing issue? Because if this is just the club’s attempt to get people to stay in their seats until half time, then they are really approaching things in a wrong-headed way. The correct answer – obviously – would be to get some proper training and management into the serving staff (nothing against them) and speed up the painfully slow rate of service so no-one has to leave their seat early. Unless there is some other reason, it feels like the club is punishing fans before addressing its own failings.

14 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Kind of related to the VP atmosphere... but one of my pet hates since forever has been the choice – if you want to get served – of either leaving your seat 5 minutes before half time or returning 5 minutes after. Watford was only the second game I’ve made this season (the first being Wolves – some lucky charm, me!) but when I went to join the queues in Trinity Upper after about 42 minutes, I noticed the screens no longer show the live match going on outside, or even Soccer Saturday. Just a bunch of scrolling adverts.

Is this the norm now? Is it some kind of live stream licensing issue? Because if this is just the club’s attempt to get people to stay in their seats until half time, then they are really approaching things in a wrong-headed way. The correct answer – obviously – would be to get some proper training and management into the serving staff (nothing against them) and speed up the painfully slow rate of service so no-one has to leave their seat early. Unless there is some other reason, it feels like the club is punishing fans before addressing its own failings.

Completely agree for many reasons

1) I don’t bother getting food and drink at half time these days because I’m not missing the game and there is no chance of that if you want food and drink in the Holte.  It’s only small revenue for the Villa but it’s just stupid in this day and age, the lines mean a lot don’t go and get food and drink.

2) I’m sure I’m going to miss a goal one day through standing up or the row(s) in front of me standing up because people going, as you say, five minutes before half time or getting back five minutes after half time and them trying to get back to their seats.  It’s bad enough people leaving five minutes leaving before the end of the game to “miss the traffic” which is always likely to be a time for a goal and me, like a lot of people, looking around people leaving or those accommodating them.

Food service has to get better at Villa at half time but I doubt it ever will.

• Like 3

Â