Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Astonished you rate  McGinn so poorly, for me in the right midfield he plays . One of out better players over the last 2 seasons . 

We are one game in  disappointing start but may take a little time to adapt .  

Problem is, just like Doug, we are trying to shoehorn him into a position which nullifies his best assets!

I think I speak for most Villa fans, when I say, we desperately want McGinn to do well for us. 

We love him to bits, but how we are trying to play him, harms both us, and him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

gone where....Targett has his good points granted, but certain types of wingers, i.e pacey ones, he struggles....he isn't the quickest.....I accept the mitigation, but raw pace is hard to negate.

I didn't see the game, perhaps he was brilliant really and thats why the manager changed it.

I get what you are saying, but again Young managed it, and he’s not Usain Bolt these days.

Targett was great last season, so I don’t accept that he’s shit now all of a sudden. The problems he faced last season he faced today, except last season he coped, and today he didn’t. Hard to see how that can be down to anything except either fitness, or psychology.

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I really hope we address the midfield issue before the end of the window. I don’t think any combination of Luiz, sanson, mcginn or Nakamba would have worked in that set up today. I’m also against the signing of JWP because I don’t think he’s the answer to our problems 

Yeah JWP he’s definitely not going to be the answer, however i feel that Luiz would have helped and controlled the tempo and player better passes to the rest of the midfield, we seemed far too trapped in midfield no space to move 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ramsey looks much stronger physically this season. Dean Smith is a 4 3 3 manager. 4 2 3 1 doesn't work when one of the 2 is McGinn. He's evidently better as an 8 although when properly fit Sanson and Luiz to play ahead of him. Bailey looks mint and Traore had everyone in knots. 

Ashley Young looked solid at LB but poor at LW as he didn't track back. Everyone looked off the pace especially Targett ,Cash and Buendia. Buendia looks like he needs the Grealish fitness and strength plan but the touch is there. Danny Ings' movement was good but we were slow with the ball.

However what was with the refereeing?? I'm all for letting games flow but there was about 6/7 blatant pushes from behind on our players which weren't given.

This is where physicality will become a big issue this season, even more so than normal....Referee's have been briefed by the looks of things.

• Like 1

I think a positive, if you can call it that, is that our crap preseason means that probably 2 or 3 of those starters don't make the staring 11 in a couple of weeks. We are behind in our preparation and that showed today.

Just now, TRO said:

This is where physicality will become a big issue this season, even more so than normal....Referee's have been briefed by the looks of things.

Yep, they have been told to let the game flow.  Strong physical teams will have a lot of joy this season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

So, let me get this right... What your trying to say is that Targetts counter to pacey forwards is timing and positioning? That's not papering over cracks but utilising his own strengths ffs.

Well what I should have said was disguises his lack of pace better the fact hes able to position himself so well , however today was just one of those days and watford overflooded that side with real menaces. better ?

Edited by RicRic

It was a poor flat performance from us. Watford had more energy, fitness and desire than we did.

Watford had a simple plan .... it was obvious that Sarr would attack Targett on the break with a lot of pace, but we did nothing to close Sarr's space down by doubling up on him.

Can anyone tell me what our tactical plan was? I genuinely couldn't see one, we just looked like ten outfield players who had turned up for a kick about.

Coaching a system involving quick tactical changes is of key importance, but I really can't see that Dean and co even have a system.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are people now talking about all of Targetts faults as a defender now after one game back?   Wtf is going on today?

Certainly isnt his fault by no means but that area was one of the main areas we were threatened in heavily, people should angle the criticism a lot better 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

However being pushed in the back is a foul unless it's no longer a foul?.

1 hour ago, TomC said:

I'm surprised that people thought Cash was so bad. His defending was bad, but I thought he did reasonably well with the ball coming forward.

did he play full back?....I guess there might be a clue there if he did.

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Hate playing newly promoted teams in first game, didnt see it so can't comment on who was shit and who wasn't 

We were shit but I reckon Watford would have beaten quite a few teams today. They were so pumped up.  We better be the same next week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Well what I should have said was disguises his lack of pace better the fact hes able to position himself so well , however today was just one of those days and watford overflooded that side with real menaces. better ?

So TRO was wrong then and Targett just had an off day then...Yeah, I accept that.

Definitely need a strong DCM, Nakamba was bullied all game.  Buerndia was not fit and Bailey did well but obviously had little time.  Also Ollie was a big miss.

I think we need to play a new DCM behind McGinn/Luiz and Buendia/Sanson with Bailey on the right and Ollie on the left.  

Edited by MJ_1874

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Certainly isnt his fault by no means but that area was one of the main areas we were threatened in heavily, people should angle the criticism a lot better 

He had a shocker mate, no doubt about it. But I read posts questioning him and his abilities as a defender! That’s just ridiculous after what we saw for the whole of last season.

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Hate playing newly promoted teams in first game, didnt see it so can't comment on who was shit and who wasn't 

Kinda a takes me back to those cup games with O'Leary where teams like Doncaster had more will to win and physicality......and we kinda wondered where our big team had faultered.

You have to compete in this league and that amongst many other things is being first to the ball and play like you want to win.

sadly it seems today we wasn't prepared for that today.

• Like 1

Â