Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, Czarnikjak said:

They are benched to accommodate 2 strikers on the pitch. 

Yep, that’s fairly obvious. I’m not sure what your point is.

I’m sure that when Bailey is fit and Buendia has had more time to get used to our style of play (whatever that is), we will have better options.

Ings is class, but we might need to go with one up top when our more creative players are up to speed. Which is a shame for Ollie. 

I still want to see us at full strength and him play as the 10 off Ollie with them Bailey left and Buendia right with then lots of interchanging and floating about 

Would put one hell of a strain on mcginn and Luiz obviously but in certain home games we can do it 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Yep, that’s fairly obvious. I’m not sure what your point is.

I’m sure that when Bailey is fit and Buendia has had more time to get used to our style of play (whatever that is), we will have better options.

Ings is class, but we might need to go with one up top when our more creative players are up to speed. Which is a shame for Ollie. 

My point is that when these creative players play, Ings will not benefit from it as he will be on the bench.

Ings is not suited to play single striker as well as Ollie is, he just doesn't have the physical presence to do it.

21 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

My point is that when these creative players play, Ings will not benefit from it as he will be on the bench.

Ings is not suited to play single striker as well as Ollie is, he just doesn't have the physical presence to do it.

Well, I could agree with you if we had last seasons Ollie, but I'm not sure where he's gone. 

14 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Well, I could agree with you if we had last seasons Ollie, but I'm not sure where he's gone. 

To join up with England 😜

He had disrupted preseason but he will come back stronger from the internalitonal break.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd be great if we could ever give him any decent chances

Can he not create for himself though?

I mean we had this debate about Darren Bent a decade ago.

Generally the modern forward in premier league nowadays can create stuff by himself. Bailey for example just took a punt over halfway line v Everton and scored. Ollie scored probably 33% of his goals last season through hard work and dribbling past a few players.

Just having penalty box strikers won't work in all games so I'd like to see in a few games when he's fit Watkins and Bailey as front two if we keep 3-5-2 as think that's a combination that could link up well and cause plenty of issues to backlines.

Didn't Ings smash one in from 25 yards v us last season? So he dosen't just need cross after cross to score (and indeed that's how our goal came about today).

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I still want to see us at full strength and him play as the 10 off Ollie with them Bailey left and Buendia right with then lots of interchanging and floating about 

Would put one hell of a strain on mcginn and Luiz obviously but in certain home games we can do it 

Need to do it v likes of Burnley and Norwich but think better teams would expose it, bit like what Man. United are putting out currently.

Think last 10 minutes showed what we'll do soon, 4-3-3 with Bailey wide right and Ollie wide left given he played last 10 minutes there today.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s got 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games by creating stuff for himself. 

And he nearly created one for himself today. 

And that “punt” for Bailey’s goal was a beautiful outside of the foot volleyed pass from… yep Danny Ings. 

He does create stuff for himself. My point is if we actually gave him service as well he’d score a hatful

well said!

Not sure why people cant see this.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And that “punt” for Bailey’s goal was a beautiful outside of the foot volleyed pass from… yep Danny Ings. 

He does create stuff for himself. My point is if we actually gave him service as well he’d score a hatful

Exactly. It's just the usual over reaction to a loss and finding fault where there is none. Danny will be frustrated with himself but he's been great so far. Whole team lacked cohesion and composure today. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just to add to this, before today Danny Ings’ xGI was 1.7

Yet he’s got 4 goal involvements. He is massively overperforming compared to the service he is getting

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not to mention the role he played in creating the chance for Ollie’s goal today, picked up the ball from the foul on Ramsay and slotted it to Targett. 

He actually does a lot outside the box that I hadn’t appreciated until he came to Villa.

• Like 1

3-5-2 doesn't suit Danny, as the service from our wide players is pretty awful.

We did score a good goal yesterday, and it was the first time I remember Danny getting the ball to feet in/near the box. He had the composure to play in Targett nicely.

Â