Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Fair play to him. Nowadays if you are premier league player near 30 you need to be training all year round. You can't do an Eden hazard and go on the piss for a summer and come back to preseason 8kg overweight. 

Do you remember Merson that season we won the Inter Toto cup first game back in that, looked about 2/3 stone overweight 

I've always thought Ings looks a few pounds overweight. I could be completely wrong of course, it could be pure muscle!
Anyhow, if I'm right, he could do with really trimming down to extend his career at the top level. 

I'd rather have Ings up front than Watkins this season. Both have their plus points, but Ings is a better footballer.

45 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Do you remember Merson that season we won the Inter Toto cup first game back in that, looked about 2/3 stone overweight 

Do you remember Gabby the season we went down he looked 10 stone overweight.

Needs to be more mobile/agile,  has looked really slowly and sluggish for us. Seemed to struggle to run at times… hopefully just a fitness issue.

Glad to see he’s working on it.

A fitter, sharper Ings next season will be an asset for sure. Same goes for Watkins.

They both need to be better.

But only one in the team please, I want Buendia to play regularly mainly due to his creativity and Coutinho can support the striker too - probably just as well if not better than either Ings or Watkins did last season.

A solid midfield base will help a lot.

• Like 1

Ings and Watkins are two very different types of striker.

Ings thrives on balls in behind a defence, on clever little touches and being in the right place at the right time.

Watkins creates a lot of chances for himself through his work rate and willingness to press and harass defenders.

As has been said before, if you combined Watkins’ work rate and stamina with Ings’ finishing ability and first touch, you’d have one of the best strikers in the league.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ings and Watkins are two very different types of striker.

Ings thrives on balls in behind a defence, on clever little touches and being in the right place at the right time.

Watkins creates a lot of chances for himself through his work rate and willingness to press and harass defenders.

As has been said before, if you combined Watkins’ work rate and stamina with Ings’ finishing ability and first touch, you’d have one of the best strikers in the league.

Which is better suited to our style of play though?

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Do you remember Gabby the season we went down he looked 10 stone overweight.

I’ve tried to erase that from memory yes but yes😀

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Which is better suited to our style of play though?

Watkins, because we need someone up top who will run their bollocks off for 90 minutes week in week out.

If Watkins could just improve his first touch and passing he’d be lethal.

I think Ings would be better suited to our play.  Abandon the high press, and play the people that unlock a defence regardless of when and where they get the ball.

Coutinho, Buendia, and Ings make for a chance creating/finishing machine, that work as well on a counter attack as they do just building from open play.

If we want to go for a press style of play it's got to be with both Watkins and Ings, and Buendia behind... no place for Coutinho in that team, and that isn't going to happen under Gerrard.

Long story short, Ings would be best for what I believe is Gerrards preferred 1-striker lineup.

Edited by MrBlack
Edit: Ings doesn't get the recognition he deserves for his pressing. He's nearly as good at it as Watkins.

A very stop start season for Ings, in and out of the team and with varied tactical set ups too.

I think if he was our first choice number 9 he’d score 15 goals+. Strikers rely on match sharpness more than anyone else, it’s always going to be difficult if you’re not the main main unless you’re one of those rare “super sub” players. 

I still believe he was a panic signing, the speed in which it happened and the proximity to the Grealish transfer, with no obvious way he’d actually fit in. Hopefully Gerrard will have worked out how to use him because the constant tweaking trying to force the partnership with Watkins held us back and we can’t continue mucking about with it indefinitely 

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If you had a lbs for every time you used that. You could do this 

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488666wayfgprgsrivqxal

I used £ and deliberately avoided the word pound in an attempt to avoid this kind of answer! I might have known I wouldn’t get away with it. 🤣

• Haha 1

Â