Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Just watched the miss on the highlights on SSN app, great ball from Ings, wasn’t as bad as everyone made out was still a lot to do. A player like Bailey isn’t going to be a world beater every game and today wasn’t his day. Still has a good game in him every other game, a world class player has a great game every game, we can’t attract that calibre of player. He’ll no doubt play well next week to make amends.

• Like 1

Is he ever going to be the player we spent 30m on? Is he ever going to kick on, get 15 goal involvements? A modest 10?

I'm sorry you missed the chance too. I would have loved for you to have had that moment...but missing that chance isn't the issue here.

The performances are nowhere near good enough. Like Traore, he's a moments player but he has less moments than Traore did.

He seems a nice kid but if people are actually honest, and not hoping this transfer comes good, it's been a dismal transfer and a dismal move for Bailey. I feel bad for him as much us.

I don't see him putting the performances together on an even semi consistent basis.

He was brilliant against Brentford. He's been brilliant so so so scarcely.

• Like 2

The result is not on him, but it’s fair to expect better, his finishing was poor, but his contribution improved second half along with everyone else. The tears smacks of a little diversionary drama which I am not sure I’ve seen at this level in 50 years of watching football. All we ask is concentration and improvement, he has the talent and opportunity, he needs to find his own talent again or he will be history.

I was listening to the radio and Twatterface made it sound like a Ronny Rozenthal moment but watching the highlights it looked a fairly tough chance to me.  Sounds like it was an off night for the team all round, hopefully we sign another winger or two to share the burden a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The result is not on him, but it’s fair to expect better, his finishing was poor, but his contribution improved second half along with everyone else. The tears smacks of a little diversionary drama which I am not sure I’ve seen at this level in 50 years of watching football. All we ask is concentration and improvement, he has the talent and opportunity, he needs to find his own talent again or he will be history.

Hard to say if he was actually crying. What I saw was him lying face down, heaving his chest up and down rather performatively. A bit much IMO.

He made a mess of that moment which will haunt him. And had a poor game generally. And has been an underwhelming signing on the whole.

Not sure he is that much of an upgrade on Traore, who at least scored goals.

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Is he ever going to be the player we spent 30m on? Is he ever going to kick on, get 15 goal involvements? A modest 10?

I'm sorry you missed the chance too. I would have loved for you to have had that moment...but missing that chance isn't the issue here.

The performances are nowhere near good enough. Like Traore, he's a moments player but he has less moments than Traore did.

He seems a nice kid but if people are actually honest, and not hoping this transfer comes good, it's been a dismal transfer and a dismal move for Bailey. I feel bad for him as much us.

I don't see him putting the performances together on an even semi consistent basis.

Nail on head for me, put it better than I could have.

I don't mean to pile on further criticism, but I don't love this trend of players (feeling the need to be) apologising. He missed an easy-ish but not outrageously easy chance, it happens. If anything I'm more concerned that he's piling so much pressure onto himself that he ends up lying on the pitch crying and then apologising over the internet: I can't imagine it's going to help him play with more freedom and confidence. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

You said he cost us three points. As in we would have had three, but we got zero.

He's saying he prevented us from coming away with all three, and instead we came away with one.

I don't know why you're dying on this hill.  I'll leave it here because this is starting to feel like a magic eye painting and you're the only one that can't see it.

This is a wild assumption and to assume makes an ass out of...

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't mean to pile on further criticism, but I don't love this trend of players (feeling the need to be) apologising. He missed an easy-ish but not outrageously easy chance, it happens. If anything I'm more concerned that he's piling so much pressure onto himself that he ends up lying on the pitch crying and then apologising over the internet: I can't imagine it's going to help him play with more freedom and confidence. 

Truth. Hard to avoid social media and a certain part of the fan base slagging him off though. 

Is what it is - calls of dropping him are silly. Should be rotated but it’s overreaction galore to think he won’t be on the team sheet soon. 

Still one of the only dribblers of the ball in the entire squad (though he should pick his head up more).

Wont be able to keep him out unless we get some January incomings. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hard to say if he was actually crying. What I saw was him lying face down, heaving his chest up and down rather performatively. A bit much IMO.

He made a mess of that moment which will haunt him. And had a poor game generally. And has been an underwhelming signing on the whole.

Not sure he is that much of an upgrade on Traore, who at least scored goals.

When you boil down players into just purely stats, I wonder where Bailey, Trez, AEG, (Bertrand) Traore, Bailey and Adomah stack up? Add to that their stats expressed in a cost/transfer fee context?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he is the player we spent £30mil on. An amount of money which gets you an OK and often inconsistent player in the premier league. If we'd spent £65mil and he blew hot and cold like he does then I'd feel we'd got a bad deal.

Bad misses can happen to anyone and it wasn’t an easiest of easy chances, but the worry in my mind is that overall his performance tonight was poor all round, didn’t have the skill or ingenuity to beat the full back once and was pretty poor at crossing… and then adding on not taking chances

Not having other options in that position is scandalous really and begs the question what were the execs doing when Gerrard started to shape the squad this way 

• Like 1

Â