The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

12 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Ugh, reminds me of that FA cup game I think we lost 3-0 at Boundary Park.

Four of us got the afternoon off and drove up at lunchtime, it was cold anyway but Boundary Park was like a **** ice box.

We were shit and couldn't see anyway as the fences obscured the view. Bernie Gallagher had an indifferent game.

I had a V8 Rover SD1 and I drove that fast on the way back I almost ran out of fuel and had to fill up at a motorway services. First and last time I ever did that.

I was in the home end that night stood next to a guy I worked with who had got me the ticket and his mate, well known Baggies fan Adrian Goldberg.  My first long term girlfriend had just dumped me a couple of days before. 

Horrid, utterly horrid but still not even remotely close to Bradford. 

Edited by sidcow

Plenty to chose from but the Man U FA cup game takes it for me. The late turnaround, followed by the pitch invasion, and it being Man U. 

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to give them the whole of the lower doug ellis. Asking for trouble.

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’d managed to forget about most of these horrific defeats, pushed them to the back of my mind and then destroyed that part of my brain with alcohol and drugs. 

Thanks for reviving them, folks!

Back to the alcohol and drugs so. Only solution.

Losing 4-1 at home to Coventry was pretty bad 

But

I think we lost only 1-0 to Spurs under Graham Taylor at home but I remember thinking I wanted to go home and not really come back at that point.  That game just got to me on how awful we were.

Leicester away, odd Saturday morning game, 1985, pissing down, soaked, 5-0 down singing always look on the Brightside of life in their seats getting daggers from the Baby Squad, to say the word despondent would be an understatement 

• Like 1

At home to Bolton under McLeish.

I was in the Trinity Upper, I completely and utterly lost it. I mean totally lost it. I was screaming abuse at McLeish the likes of which haven’t been heard ever before or since In that stand.

I’m so not like it normally at games, I’ve never done it before or since but I totally lost the plot. 

We've had a fair few to endure but personally for me it was a game I went to and we actually won. 

It was v Watford in 2007. We hadn't won for like 11 games and all I can remember is it was absolutely brassic, I sat in the North Stand and nearly cried cos' of how cold it was. 

We scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes but the game was that bad all we could think about was getting in the car, warming up and getting the hell home. It really was an awful game and sticks in the memory.

I remember a stinking game away at Notts County in about 1983 when we lost 5-2. I had hitchiked there and couldn't get a lift back so had to walk to Derby and slept in a barn on straw (Not as comfy as it looks in films btw) on a farmers field for a few hours before getting into Derby and grabbing another couple of hours kip in the lift of a multi storey car park until about 6am when the city woke up a bit. Finally got a lift to brum down the A38 the next day. A truly horrid time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I was in the Trinity Upper, I completely and utterly lost it. I mean totally lost it. I was screaming abuse at McLeish the likes of which haven’t been heard ever before or since In that stand.

I’m so not like it normally at games, I’ve never done it before or since but I totally lost the plot. 

Was in Rome at the time but distinctly remember hearing about the result and coming on here and seeing that sheer panic had set in. We'd been out of relegation trouble for most of the season but that put us right in the shit. IIRC the board released a statement soon after all but confirming that McLeish would be gone at the end of the season didn't they?

Edited by Mantis

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We then thought it was all over... and had nearly 3 seasons with Lambert.

It was like being slowly drip fed slurry for about five years.

On 08/07/2021 at 22:45, HanoiVillan said:

Such a rich topic, so many to choose from, dearie me. . .

I don't have any new ones, though a shout-out to the guy way back upthread with the deep cut choice of that game around Boxing Day in one of the Lambert years against Palace, when Dwight **** Gayle thundered one in from about 25 yards in the 88th minute.

Aso that 3-1 home defeat by QPR immediately after the 4-1 win against Wolves in 17/18. Dunno why that one bugged me so much, I just remember being mad about that. And McLeish's last home game, the one against Bolton, took my wife to that and sat in the Holte, first game she saw of English football and it was just pure hate, vicious atmosphere.

Worst I saw away from VP was the FA Cup final against Arsenal. Told this story before but saw it at a bar in Hanoi. A lot of (maybe even most?) Vietnamese people support Arsenal - they do or at least did some pre-season tours at one point - and of the foreigners in the bar, most were friends ribbing me, plus 3 guys in Arsenal shirts and somehow, a **** nose was there as well. That was it, couldn't have made a more humiliating environment. I slunk home with my tail between my legs before full time, never been so embarrassed to be a Villa fan as I was that night.

Due to some unfortunate scheduling I was away on a family holiday for the cup final. Had done every round previous and I did think of cutting short the break for the game but didn't,

I watched that shower of a performance on the shore of lake Como at the nearby pizzeria, with the local village idiot in all full Arsenal gear going mad every time they scored.

A miserable excuse of a performance which has convinced me we will never win that cup in my lifetime.

The semi final was great but the final was a steaming pile of dogturd. Most of my villa mates who want said that the day was great up to abide with me and it went rapidly downhill.

At least the City  league cup final we tried hard and lost narrowly.  Awful.

• Sad 1

Worst games? Hell, it’s been bleak for most of my adult life 😂

2001/02 - 2006

2010 - 2018

Other than a few games in the FA Cup run (sans the final) under tic-tac-tim it’s been bloody bleak, barren and depressing during most of those periods. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Drawing 4-4 with Spurs after they equalised in the last minute through someone shit… I think it was Younes Kaboul

I remember that, that sucked

And actually you've reminded me of another game that sucked that I went to as a kid, some time in the 90s we were 4-1 up against Leicester after about 80 minutes and it ended up being 4-4.

Both Rapid Wien games.

Doncaster - 3 Villa - 0 in the DOL days.

Surrendering a 4-0 advantage at half time and drawing 4-4 against spuds.

That Enckleman game that must not be mentioned. 

Newcastle - 6 Villa - 0

Soton - 6 Villa - 0

Chelsea - 8 Villa - 0

Arsenal - 4 Villa - 0 FA Cup final

Edit: Leicester - 3 Villa - 2 which was like a catalyst for their title win and our relegation 

I also vaguely remember a shit game against Derby where we were doing the “let’s pretend we scored a goal” and then also wildly celebrating when we got a corner.

People really need to remember this consistent shit for the last ten+ years when they dare to criticise anything about our current set up. 

great thread. Cathartic and eye opening. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

Living and working in the North west I went to a few of the 'Horror Shows' 3-0 loss to Wigan, Bolton 1-0 in the probably coldest day I've ever watched football. Started thinking it was my Fault,  and Id never see the Villa win away again ever!.. Ah then Rotherham Super Jack restored my faith.

Â