Julián Álvarez

Delphinho123

Given that Ollie will start the vast majority of games I think signing someone that can play anywhere across the front 3 would be a very shrewd move. 

Having the 2 Emi’s would hopefully ease the settling process. And another Argentinian, especially one so highly rated again increases the profile of the club. There is a lot to like about this link.

Not to mention that Tim Vickery (a real football journalist) compared him to Gary Shaw.

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes. This is exactly the type of signing we should be making as back up to Watkins. There is no pressure for him to be brilliant straight away and we can use Wesley if Watkins is out (even though I don’t rate him much). Absolutely no point spending 40m+ on an Abraham type signing when we can spend that on areas we actually need to improve on (AMC/DMC).

The same goes for the centre half position. We have Mings and Konsa who should be our centre back pairing for the next couple of years and there is no need to break this up. Get a young lad in for 10m who can learn his trade but do a job if called upon for a few games. City and perhaps Chelsea aside, nobody has quality players sitting on the bench ready to come in and be as good as the person they’re replacing. Look at United without Maguire and Liverpool without Van Dyke.

Agree with this completely. Spending something like £40m on Abraham doesn't seem wise considering Watkins is barely ever injured, we only play with 1 striker and we already have 3 in the squad. 

• Like 3

Just now, AvonVillain said:

'Nuff said, ordering the shirt.

In case you’ve not heard the interview, I think I posted it earlier in the thread 👍

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Agree with this completely. Spending something like £40m on Abraham doesn't seem wise considering Watkins is barely ever injured, we only play with 1 striker and we already have 3 in the squad. 

I will give it to you, you are right that if we can get an excellent player for dirt cheap it makes sense to make that type of move than spend 40 million on another forward.

I see this type of news that there is no confidence whatsoever in our other two strikers and that Villa chiefs only trust Watkins.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, av1 said:

In case you’ve not heard the interview, I think I posted it earlier in the thread 👍

What interview please?

21 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I will give it to you, you are right that if we can get an excellent player for dirt cheap it makes sense to make that type of move than spend 40 million on another forward.

I see this type of news that there is no confidence whatsoever in our other two strikers and that Villa chiefs only trust Watkins.

Disagree. Alvarez is one for the future. But he can play LW, RW, CAM or Up front. He is literally the perfect young signing because he provides depth in a position where we have none. He can play as a 2nd striker so he could play with Wesley or watkins and if we ever go that route and he seems to have an excellent eye for a through ball meaning if he is playing in the hole he can play our players through. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

So was he in the squad then? Or just there as part of the youth team?

Played about 35 mins against Bolivia and on the bench against Paraguay.

• Thanks 1

Tim Vickery described him as being classy and bright. If you watch his YouTube clips, you can really see what he means. He is an unbelievable decision maker and his execution is spot on. You can really see him working brilliantly with Jack and Emi, threading the ball through to Ollie. Get your cash in Ollie to be top scorer now!

1 hour ago, TheFirstMan said:
  • I like Tim Vickery - however, he did say Richarlison was shite.....toss which he doesn't generally appear to be 

Nope he was right, richarlison is shite. 

• Like 4

IF he signs could we do with getting a spanish/portagese speaking assistant coach? 

With our ever growing South American contingent I could see it being helpful with getting messages across. 

Alverez is young and I'm sure Dean and Co will want to help improve his game so getting the point across with a native speaker would be help. 

Just checked out the biggest River Plate forum.  Not a single mention of Aston Villa in the Alvarez thread so far this summer.  Plenty of debate with regards to whether or not he should have been in the Argentina squad for Copa America or Buendia...  TBH, it looks like they were divided on that front.

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So was he in the squad then? Or just there as part of the youth team?

He beat out Buendia for the spot in their Copa America squad this summer.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

• Confused 1

Â