Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It all boils down the original point, as long as they’re good enough it doesn’t matter where they come from.

An interesting topic though…

At the very least, there is better value out there than from home or from buying within the same league. Imo at least.

There shouldn’t be such a fear factor related to that. 

Tbh, blanket statements have no relevance or accuracy. It’s really a case by case basis. Up to the well paid and well qualified to make those judgements…

They rarely do.

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes the top end foreign talent but there has been more dross coming in foreign talent.  We have had some of the best come in from Henry to Cantona to VVD and KDB but there has been so many failures, dross and players that just havent made it. 

Some players that have looked great in different leagues but come to the PL and just cant play our style high intensity football or adapt to life here that they fail. 

So while I agree we can all name loads of successes we can also name loads that havent. 

Buying foreign talent comes with massive risk, the more elements that you add to it from language, age, culture, distance from home, level of football and style of football and even then there are more.  So yes foreign players have added a new dimension to British football but there are also so many failures along the way and more and more every season hence why PL experience adds such a premium to prices and are worth it. 

For me we are at such a critical point in our development that to invest so much into foreign talent is foolish.  We need to establish ourselves and then we can take more risk in that direction.  If we underperform this season we likely lose Grealish next summer and maybe some others and Smith may lose his job. 

I'd rather buy less players and focus on PL quality that we know are less risk but will definitely add something now almost definitely than cheaper abroad, high risk that maybe a success but may not or at least may not in the near future.  Scouting and analysis only take you so far, you never know if somebody will adapt on all the different levels, if anybody could then there wouldnt be the premium on PL players that there is.  We have one of the best recruitment teams from what I've heard so whatever they choose I understand and I can understand why their first port of call are players with PL experience because of the risks (which I know you dont fully agree with) associated with buying foreign talent.

It might also be worth mentioning Nick, Their spouse.

These ladies have to bring their families with them and when the old man is training and going on tours and away games, they are left at home.....They have to be mixers and integrators and not all are....its not easy for them, and if they can't speak English its worse.

If a players wife is unhappy, the player will  soon will be too.

ps Don't say send JT round, I was serious.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Scouting and research is very important. Getting to know a bit about the player or finding out about his background and actually seeing him in action too.

My problem is that you can only find out information within the environment they are in which is very very different to the environment they are going to.  The best research in the world is limited in that sense.

The less differences, the lower the risk, the more premium you pay.  The more differences, the more unknowns, the higher risk of failure.

Where we are now, that’s a bridge too high in key positions for me.

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Where we are now, that’s a bridge too high in key positions for me.

I always thought it was the number of bridges that was the limiting factor and not their height. Although the Kessock Bridge in Inverness is pretty high and has lights to warn low flying aircraft. It’s a pretty spectacular suspension bridge to be honest. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, YLN said:

My interest in reading news on the potential ESR signing is high.

My interest in reading what is being discussed in this thread is zero

I'm interested in your disinterest

56 minutes ago, YLN said:

My interest in reading news on the potential ESR signing is high.

My interest in reading what is being discussed in this thread is zero

I'm very interested in your disinterest

Edited by osmark86

22 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I always thought it was the number of bridges that was the limiting factor and not their height. Although the Kessock Bridge in Inverness is pretty high and has lights to warn low flying aircraft. It’s a pretty spectacular suspension bridge to be honest. 

Still my favourite bridge is Sydney Harbour bridge, it’s a simple design but magnificent.  I lived next to it for a long while on the harbour and I loved its grandeur as much as I loved looking at the Opera House.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

Just now, beachboys1 said:

is there anyone who thinks that new contract story for esr is bull no one else has broke it and 100 grand aweek is ludicrus for 20 year old

It’s bull he’s signed…no idea re how much he’ll get paid eventually but 100k wouldn’t surprise me these days.  If we sign him I expected before this comment that he’d be on 80k so if he does sign 100k it wouldn’t surprise me.  All football wages at the top level are ludicrous. Hudson-Odoi is on 100k per week and he’s young and not even a regular at Chelsea like ESR is at Arsenal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Still my favourite bridge is Sydney Harbour bridge, it’s simple design but magnificent.  I lived next to it for a long while on the harbour and I loved its grandeur as much as I loved looking at the Opera House.

my favourite bridge is bamber in  Lancashire. During the war, when US demanded racial segregation, the 3 pubs in the village all put up signs, 

Black troops only

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s bull he’s signed…no idea re how much he’ll get paid eventually but 100k wouldn’t surprise me these days.  If we sign him I expected before this comment that he’d be on 80k so if he does sign 100k it wouldn’t surprise me.  All football wages at the top level are ludicrous. Hudson-Odoi is on 100k per week and he’s young and not even a regular at Chelsea like ESR is at Arsenal.

Arsenal heading for more trouble if he signs for 100k or over, lessons not learnt at all, bit mad really considering they can't back it up with europe Right? There's only one way wages go right and they are already on a crazy amount there stars are.

In a way I'm glad a 20 year old on those wages, who's not a regular at arsenal isn't signing for us, a year or two on and for all we know he could've been demanding more.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It might also be worth mentioning Nick, Their spouse.

These ladies have to bring their families with them and when the old man is training and going on tours and away games, they are left at home.....They have to be mixers and integrators and not all are....its not easy for them, and if they can't speak English its worse.

If a players wife is unhappy, the player will  soon will be too.

ps Don't say send JT round, I was serious.

Always an interesting thing with the unmarried/engaged ones as well. Apparently clubs know your form will drop off for six months after you get married, but still accept that as positive because in the longer term you’ll be more settled.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

So thats dead then?

Yes and no.

Whilst I think he will sign a new deal, this quote from Arteta today is an odd one..

"He's very much engaged and wants to continue with us, that's for sure. Emile has earned the right to look at that situation because of the performances that he has produced."

That to me translates as, ‘yes, he wants to stay here, but we won’t pay him what he wants’.

Honestly, and I can’t stress this enough, the Arsenal social media team and the fans will paint this as a win when he signs his new deal but I can assure you that the money men behind the scenes will be livid at this whole ordeal. They’re being forced into giving one of their youngsters a contract he probably doesn’t deserve, disrupting the wage structure even further and adding to their crippling wage bill and debt. What happens with Saka or Martinelli now? They’ll be banging down the door asking for their wages to be doubled. 

They’re in massive financial trouble if they have another terrible season. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is £100k a week outlandish for him?

Seems expensive but no unreasonable to me.

Saka will want more than that.

Saka is only on 33-40k a week

Not a chance ESR has gone from 15k to 100k.

• Like 1