James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We don't have the 3rd highest revenue though, which is where your money for transfers has to come from in the FFP era. Our owners are richer than the Glaziers for example but that means jack shit because their revenue completely dwarfs ours and that's why they can spend way more than us. We're flexing our muscles because we have the ambition, but we still have a glass ceiling. Before the Grealish sale, realistically we can only spend about 80-120m every year depending on our previous spending.

You're just rebranding spending loads of money as "ambition" there though. I still don't see how it's different to City or Chelsea splashing the cash when their owners first went in - that was plenty ambitious in both cases, but still left a slightly sour taste in the mouth.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Agreed. Apart from free kicks he covers more kms in 90 minutes than any other team mate. He is aggressive in the tackle when necessary and presses the hell out of the opposition. He also passes very accurately and is a natural vocal leader and team captain.

What's not to like?

Adding a club captain to the side can't be underestimated. Especially one with fitness levels like Ward Prowse, he must be in sublime shape to play evey min of Prem football for last two seasons in central midfield the most demanding position on the park. 

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

You're just rebranding spending loads of money as "ambition" there though. I still don't see how it's different to City or Chelsea splashing the cash when their owners first went in - that was plenty ambitious in both cases, but still left a slightly sour taste in the mouth.

I'm saying we're on roughly equal financial footing with our rivals, at least in terms of what we're able to spend. There's no equal footing with an entire nation, or a billionaire before billionaire owners became the norm. The "ambition" here means what we're willing to spend, which is where we differ.

What we're doing is building a balanced squad and team with competition for places and players we can improve after we sign them. This is exactly how it should be done is requires a stable manager and core of squad. We'll be competitive season in season out for top 6 for the future with the current owners

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

The real question is why tf there are people with 5,000 Twitter followers getting blue ticks?

What for? You're not famous and nobody's ever going to pretend to be you, you mad ting

Edited by est1874
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Hate to say it, but he Grealish replacements floated make me feel worse about the whole situation.

Really?

We're not shopping like for like, the point is to make the team and squad better.

So far we've lost Grealish (almost) and brought in Bailey, Buendia, Ings and Young - and you're feeling worse about the situation? 

In terms of net, we've definitely gained. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Specifically JWP and Todd bloody Cantwell. We have the money, but we're not in any kind of position to attract a superstar midfielder, so yes, still working through the pain and these names make me feel worse.

It’s just speculation at this stage.

59 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Hate to say it, but he Grealish replacements floated make me feel worse about the whole situation.

Hardly surprising.

We wouldn't have got £100m for him if we could get a like for like replacement for £30m.

I doubt we will see another Grealish in my lifetime. Best player I've seen in a villa shirt in over 40 years.

That doesn't mean we can't build a team to better last season 11th place though.

• Like 1

I'm a bit mixed on JWP. Paying over the odds for the top set piece taker around makes sense when you also have the top free kick winner around. I do like that he has a bit of Gareth Barry about him, too: pretty good at everything and reliable fitness. However, without said free kick winner to really maximise the set piece output, there's probably much better value for the latter characteristics out there. Maybe the data guys have done some modeling and worked out we should score x number additonal goals from an average number of free kicks and corners with him, though, so may still be deemed worth it.

JWP is a win/win on so many levels for me.

Superb ser piece taker- something we have lacked for many years.

Covers lots of ground around the pitch pressing and breaking up play then distributing ball forward.

26yrs old so let's say 40mil ish if he's a success he will gain value so profit but in the meantime he will add to our team.

We have ings Watkins mings konsa all dangerous from set pieces but if you don't deliver the ball into the danger area it counts for nothing.

I'd bid upto 50mil maximum for him and class this as an investment still mid 20s in age and can get better.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

I'm a bit mixed on JWP. Paying over the odds for the top set piece taker around makes sense when you also have the top free kick winner around. I do like that he has a bit of Gareth Barry about him, too: pretty good at everything and reliable fitness. However, without said free kick winner to really maximise the set piece output, there's probably much better value for the latter characteristics out there. Maybe the data guys have done some modeling and worked out we should score x number additonal goals from an average number of free kicks and corners with him, though, so may still be deemed worth it.

Buendia wins freekicks too. We relied on one man to win free kicks while other teams win free kicks across their front 3. It’s not the end of the world to not have Jack.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who wouldn't. JWP would cost more than double Cantwell. 4 years on contract vs 1

You’re accepting Villa are after him - whether it succeeds or not. 

That’s progress ;) 

• Like 1

Â