James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

38 minutes ago, Awol said:

Ok 👍

P.S. It's never been that I wouldn't love us to sign JWP more that I don't think he's for sale from Southampton as that's near dooming them to relegation candidates. Perhaps they figure that's on the cards anyway and will cash in for huge fee like we did for Grealish. Who knows we'll see

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You haven't seen Buendia play yet😉

I have a feeling most of us will have forgotten Jack by the end of the season.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, most Villa supporters don't know just how good Buendia is...  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

I'm a bit mixed on JWP. Paying over the odds for the top set piece taker around makes sense when you also have the top free kick winner around. I do like that he has a bit of Gareth Barry about him, too: pretty good at everything and reliable fitness. However, without said free kick winner to really maximise the set piece output, there's probably much better value for the latter characteristics out there. Maybe the data guys have done some modeling and worked out we should score x number additonal goals from an average number of free kicks and corners with him, though, so may still be deemed worth it.

You do realise he doesn’t just take free kicks right?  

• Like 2

As good as this deal would be, I can’t see Southampton selling him as it would be an absolute disaster for them in terms of their fans, especially as they aren’t looking like reinvesting as much of the Ings money as the fans would like.

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

As good as this deal would be, I can’t see Southampton selling him as it would be an absolute disaster for them in terms of their fans, especially as they aren’t looking like reinvesting as much of the Ings money as the fans would like.

Sounds like their owner isn't reinvesting any money into the club.  Same situation as Dr. Tony with "struggling to get funds out of China".

• Like 2

This one’s gone very quiet. All the chatter seems to be random people coming up with a plausible price (45m) and saying “final stages” (transfer window about to close anyway).

Really hard to say what’s going on. He would clearly be a good signing, and I think slightly overpaying wouldn’t be an issue.

I also think this idea that he personally wouldn’t want to move is just wrong. Southampton are treading water, he wants to play in the World Cup. Smith has a good record of getting players into the England setup.

JWP good mates with Ings and Targett. It all makes sense on his side, and on ours.

Issue will be whether Southampton feel confident they can stay in PL without him. They’re already 6th favourites to go down, and they’ve left it very late to bring in reinforcements.

This is one we could really do with, at the moment our options are McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, Hourihane, Chukwuemeka and Jacob Ramsey.

Edit - McGinn I'm happy with, but Luiz will miss the first month of the season, Sanson is injured, Chukwuemeka is a seventeen year old who has made two appearances in the first team and you can make a case for each of the others not really being Premier League quality. 

I'd love for us to get JWP over the line.

1 hour ago, Adman said:

How does that work if its from the same club and they're mates?

I was raising this yesterday - not a smokescreen but feels like a Paul Doyle could have been tipped off we were after an England player from Southampton and went for JWP when it was actually Ings all along. But maybe we are after both…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is one we could really do with, at the moment our options are McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, Hourihane, Chukwuemeka and Jacob Ramsey.

Luiz will miss the first month of the season, Sanson is injured, Chukwuemeka is a seventeen year old who has made two appearances in the first team and you can make a case for each of the others not really being Premier League quality. 

I'd love for us to get JWP over the line.

It’s an absurd position to claim John McGinn is not Premier League quality. He might not be as good as some of our fans want him to be but anyone who claims he isn’t Premier League quality is talking drivel.

All that said I agree with you this signing would dramatically improve us since I do think you are right on the others (well, not Ramsey, but like Chuk he’s young and raw).

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

I was raising this yesterday - not a smokescreen but feels like a Paul Doyle could have been tipped off we were after an England player from Southampton and went for JWP when it was actually Ings all along. But maybe we are after both…

I read somewhere we enquires about Ings on Monday night at 12.00 so don't think That could be the case

Southampton have this season’s ‘treading water’ money from selling Ings. Selling JWP probably isn’t necessary in financial terms so I suspect they will hold out for top money and who could blame them?

The only way I can see the deal happening this summer is if:

a) Villa’s coaching team have identified him as a priority target for our immediate progression AND

b) JWP and his agent (!) angle for the move.

Having both these align will surprise me but then this transfer window has been rather unusual!

15 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s an absurd position to claim John McGinn is not Premier League quality. He might not be as good as some of our fans want him to be but anyone who claims he isn’t Premier League quality is talking drivel.

All that said I agree with you this signing would dramatically improve us since I do think you are right on the others (well, not Ramsey, but like Chuk he’s young and raw).

Gah! I'm sorry - I meant to include McGinn at the head of that list - for me, he's the one proper Premier League central midfielder that's going to be available to us for the first month of the season. I think the position is our weakness and I'd love to see us strengthen there.

• Like 1

Â