• Eric Clapton
    • Brian May
    • Mark Knopfler
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn
    • Jimmy Page

This poll is closed to new votes

There's loads of great rock guitarists, hard to rank them all, and at the end of the day it's about the song isn't it.

IMO the thing that really sets the good ones apart is their groove, the way they just sit in the pocket whatever they're playing, fast or slow.

Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Frusciante (who is wasted on that band) all have that feel on their best stuff. The way they can all play rhythm and lead at the same time.

Wah Wah Watson is my leftfield shout... more of a funk guitarist maybe, but he had that feel too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Kind of interesting how far apart the players are in this performance by Pink Floyd. Miles between. Telling? @Xela

That concert was London, '94. Waters had long gone by then, so I don't think there was anything in it at all :) 

• Like 1

its such a personal debate. and there is such an array of things that make a guitarist great depending on your opinion.

for instance, while I know Jimmy Page is incredible, much of their music wasn't massively for me, and while i know EVH was a shred machine, it was very much of his time

I personally think Prince is one of the most underrated guitarists of all times and absolutely love listening to his guitar solo's which I think have so much melody, feeling and style.

in modern times I love the fast picking of Billy strings and the artistry of Tim Henson of Polyphia - none of which are rock obviously....

tricky. I voted Jimi in the end. Predictable I guess but, having learnt a few of his songs on guitar, whilst it is possible to pick up what notes to play, he certainly did something very magical with them thats hard to recreate

• Like 3

I like Peter Hayes of BRMC and Joff Oddie of Wolf Alice, not so much big solos but really interesting sounds and effects that add depth to songs.  Hayes uses crazy tunings which make it hard to learn what he's playing.  I like Noel's melodies on solos and fills as well albeit simple to play.

• Like 1

The guitarists I like wouldn't really be called rock,  Paul Franklin, James Burton, Roy Buchanan, Thomas McClary. With that in mind, Joan Jett. Not the best guitarist in the world, but I like her and I like the guitar on her records.

• Like 1

I think the sad thing for me with guitarists, is deep down they all know they aren’t as important as bass players.

You got a drummer and a bass, you got everything going on.

You got a guitarist, they’ll eventually start noodling or shredding, both of which are equally wank.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

There's loads of great rock guitarists, hard to rank them all, and at the end of the day it's about the song isn't it.

IMO the thing that really sets the good ones apart is their groove, the way they just sit in the pocket whatever they're playing, fast or slow.

Well put. 👍

16 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I believe Clapton has been on the record in the past as saying it's Buddy Guy.

he seems to change his mind a  fair bit

Clapton  said in an interview in 2004 when ask who was the best guitarist "  most likely Hendricks " but then said if there was a man teaching guitar lesson in heaven it would be Stuart Adamson as he was technically the  best and most versatile he'd ever seen."

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Clapton  said in an interview in 2004 when ask who was the best guitarist "  most likely Hendricks " but then said if there was a man teaching guitar lesson in heaven it would be Stuart Adamson as he was technically the  best and most versatile he'd ever seen."

We all know Clapton is borderline insane there days, so it does make perfect sense for him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I have to say that Stuart Adamson did help to write the best opening to a punk song ever, with the Skids' Into The Valley.

The story they used to tell about Clapton, was that he was so embarrassed by how good Hendrix was that he thought he'd better start practising.

The story told about Hendrix and Paul Kossoff was that the latter heard Hendrix play Little Wing in a guitar shop, which made him want to play better.

The problem with trying to pick the best guitarist is that it mostly comes down to whether you like the stuff they play or not:

Yngwie Malmsteen is known to be brilliant but it leaves me cold.

Bonamassa seems to be able to sound like most of the greats.

Satriani is technically exceptional but seems to be liked mostly by young fellahs.

Derek Truck's plays stunning slide-guitar.

Fastest 

Funkiest 

Loudest 

Heaviest 

Mellowest 

Scariest 

Bluesiest 

Strangest 

Most entertaining 

Most commercially successful 

Most versatile 

Most subtle 

Most emotional 

Most challenging 

Most harmonically sophisticated 

Most unlike any other 

Longest career 

etc. 

Just some of the subjective measures that people invoke when claiming 'bestness' for their particular favourites. 

• Like 1

Â