• Mark Knopfler
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn
    • Jimmy Page

This poll is closed to new votes

Erm, John lee Hooker might disagree!
Not to mention Seasick Steve!

But actually I agree with Pelle about the value of May. And bear in mind that I can't stand Queen!

This whole business of "who's the greatest" is nonsense. It's all down to opinion. I would never try and grade musicians into a league table, but my feeling about who to include in a (non-sorted) list of the "greats" is simply down to originality. And you can measure that with one simple question:

When you hear them play, can you instantly recognise their style, even on a piece you've never heard before?

And on that basis, Brian May is a shoo-in, as is Knopfler, Hank Marvin, Neil Young, B. B. King, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Peter Green, Clarence White, John Lee Hooker, J. J. Cale, Pete Townshend and many, many others. Great guitarists all, no need to try and rank them, it's futile.

Agreed. Ranking them is all down to taste. Vai with DLR was superb, but I find his recent album pretty inaccessible. I saw Satriani last night and he was on fire, (definitely one of my top 3), but again, his latest album hasn't grown on me yet.

I also agree with the opinion that a great guitarist is one you can hear and immediately recognise. Malmsteen, George Lynch, Satch, Vai, May, Hendrix, Rothery, SRV, Blackmore, Schenker, Knopfler, Clapton, etc etc. Others are not to my taste, but the fact you know its them is just plain brilliance on their part.

Oh, and SurreyAV too of course :? :winkold:

Edit: I just commited the cardinal sin and listed fave guitarists without EVH in the list :shock:

Edit: I just commited the cardinal sin and listed fave guitarists without EVH in the list :shock:

I always wondered that despite all of his previous work, and anything he might do in the future, the fact that EVH will be remembered for a keyboard riff over anything else pisses him off or not.

Ill bet it does. :lol:

I always wondered that despite all of his previous work, and anything he might do in the future, the fact that EVH will be remembered for a keyboard riff over anything else pisses him off or not.

Ill bet it does. :lol:

I still talk about EVH to friends, and those who aren't guitarists had no clue that he was such a pioneer. Its an interesting day when you realise that Eruption is now 30 years old and still sounds cool. It is a cool synth riff though huh? 8)

Nope, he doesn't, but he would say, like himself, he wouldn't be on a list with Clapton, Hendrix, Van Halen, Page and Vaughan!

And by the way I would know this, considering, I travelled through South East Asia with his son!

Ok, that's not bad mouthing him, my fault. And Hendrix I can agree on, and so would Brian, I'm sure of that. But Clapton, van Halen and Page? They weren't ahead of Brian, never in a million years.

Agree to disagree... Brian May, as nice a bloke as he is, never did anything innoventive unlike the rest of the list (Knofler excluded) he was a good pop guitarist, maybe even the bext "Pop" Guitarist, nowhere near one of the best in the world, not even in the top 30!

Hm, agree to disagree and all that, but to say that he wasn't innoventive is just pure wrong, I'm sorry to say. Then you know nothing about him as a guitarplayer. After Hewndrix and maybe guys like Vai and van Halen, he's probably the most innoventive there has been. For one thing the sound he had was never equalled by any other guy. Like the sound or not, many tried to copy it but no one had any success. And AFAIK he's the only great guitarplayer that ever made his own guitar. :nod:

When I was young I used to listen Queen, then I grew up and realised they were shite, Brian May is the cheesiest axe-slinger I've ever had the misfortune to hear.

Hendrix is the best on that list by far and was the most innovative guitarist bar none; Page runs him close. Incidently, did you know that Clapton disbanded Cream after hearing 'The Band' and their genius song-writer/axe-slinger Robbie Robertson, Clapton packed a bag and headed to Woodstock and begged 'The Band' to take him in, I hasten to add they'd never heard of him! Robertson should be on that list and technically is better than most of them.

John Martyn too for that matter also is technically better, as is Ry Cooder, the list is endless; for those who may have never heard of these guitarists and see fit to comment on the mainstream like Van Halen and Queen and proclaim them as great guitarists, shame on you. What do you know!

No-one mentioned Gilmour............

Yeah he's definitely got to be on that list IMO. Might not be the fastest guitarist but he puts so much feeling in to his solos.

Most versatile - Page.

Greatest - Hendrix.

I also like Clapton.

But I have to give a shout out for Jack White, a really tremendous guitarist. Ok technically not on par with the rest on this list, but he is one of the most distinctive guitarists of all time. His sound is his trademark, the heavily fuzzed up over driven sound he creates is utterly recognisable and unique. He is THE best at using an octave pedal... bar none, his choice of guitars and amps, inspired. Who would have thought a cheapo 1964 Valco Arline made of Reso-glass could be used in a professional setting. His Detroit punk root's of make do and keep it simple are an inspiration and his reinvention of the blues has bread new life into the genre.

Jack White

• Like 1

Â