• Brian May
    • Mark Knopfler
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn
    • Jimmy Page

This poll is closed to new votes

Far too many great guitarists to have a 'greatest'

On the rhythm front I find Malcolm Young to be part of (IMHO) the most powerful rhythm section in rock.

One guitarist that was highly impressive on the only occasion that I saw him play live was Randy Rhoads. Unfortunately he didn't live long enough to become a great.

One guitarist that was highly impressive on the only occasion that I saw him play live was Randy Rhoads. Unfortunately he didn't live long enough to become a great.

I read somewhere that apparently Rhoads was getting into the glam scene (including keytars) just before he died. Sounds bad, but perhaps we were saved from that!

• 14 years later...

I love the late Wilko Johnson. I use his pick-free playing style all the time on my own Telecaster. It can be hard to pick out individual notes with this technique, but for a syncopated or funky rhythm, it feels natural and easy for me.  I don't just think he's underrated. I think he's wildlly disregarded. Love him. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I love the late Wilko Johnson. I use his pick-free playing style all the time on my own Telecaster. It can be hard to pick out individual notes with this technique, but for a syncopated or funky rhythm, it feels natural and easy for me.  I don't just think he's underrated. I think he's wildlly disregarded. Love him. 

spacer.png

Someone has too much time on their hands. 

Oh and Lindsey Buckingham. Seriously good picker. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

spacer.png

Someone has too much time on their hands. 

Oh and Lindsey Buckingham. Seriously good picker. 

Oh, totally. Listened to a recent album of his and was pretty blown away by the all-around quality of the songs and cool production. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Thought you would be going for November Rain. 

You know what, it was very close! I love November Rain, probably my favourite song of all time. I love both guitar solos. 

• Like 2

Â