• Brian May
    • Mark Knopfler
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn
    • Jimmy Page

This poll is closed to new votes

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

You see that's just noise to my ears.  Different strokes for different folks, I just find that shredding pointless most of the time.

If you're familiar with the rest of the instrumentation it might help. 

I know what you mean, by the way, and my tastes vary widely. But for pure rock and roll guitar bombast, EVH from those early years was lightning in a bottle.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Some of the names you get above certain other names is a joke sometimes but I never take them too seriously. Iommi should be right up there just for his riffs let alone the rest and he sits at 13 so that’s respectable for me. No Ritchie Blackmore in top 50 though? Possibly the greatest rock guitarist in his prime. 

Eddie Van Halen deserves all the credit he gets. The older I get the more I enjoy listening to him and there was nothing pointless about his shredding. Like Hendrix changed the face of how the guitar could be played. One guitarist I’m not that big on although he’s excellent is Randy Rhodes. His sound just doesn’t do it for me. 

These kind of lists are always a nightmare. Like other posters have said, most of it comes down to who you like. Also, does "best" mean most popular? Most influential? Most technically adept?

In terms of a guitarist that can do everything technically, has a great understanding of harmony but still has a brilliant feel and sense of melody, you can go too far wrong with Guthrie Govan.

On 10/02/2023 at 10:56, chrisp65 said:

I think the sad thing for me with guitarists, is deep down they all know they aren’t as important as bass players.

You got a drummer and a bass, you got everything going on.

You got a guitarist, they’ll eventually start noodling or shredding, both of which are equally wank.

This guy called it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

These kind of lists are always a nightmare. Like other posters have said, most of it comes down to who you like. Also, does "best" mean most popular? Most influential? Most technically adept?

In terms of a guitarist that can do everything technically, has a great understanding of harmony but still has a brilliant feel and sense of melody, you can go too far wrong with Guthrie Govan.

I call him Sven. Him and his brother Seth were friends of my brother in Chelmsford in the 90s. Many, many beers with those guys. No idea why I started calling him Sven though. 

10 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I call him Sven. Him and his brother Seth were friends of my brother in Chelmsford in the 90s. Many, many beers with those guys. No idea why I started calling him Sven though. 

That's awesome! I'm sure I could pick your brains for hours. I met him at a guitar clinic in Walsall a few years back and had a very brief chat. Lovely bloke and a monster guitar player.

• Like 1

I had a look at that Rolling Stone 250 top guitarists list and gave up when I saw Brittany Howard was one place below Robby Krieger

Brittany Howard has released 2 Alabama Shakes albums and possibly a solo one, it’s her voice that sells them not her fret work

• Like 1

Â