• Eric Clapton
    • Brian May
    • Mark Knopfler
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Stevie Ray Vaughn
    • Jimmy Page

This poll is closed to new votes

John Frusciante, whilst not the best, I still feel is worth mentioning along side some of the other names here.

And in terms of melodic playing, go Johnny Marr!

Hendrix.

Far and away the most trailblazing of all of them and died before he had the chance to make years and years of sucky music (Clapton).

FWIW technically, from that list Brian May probably has the best and most diverse technique...

Jimmy Page may the best rhythm guitarist on there, but he did some real stinkers as far as guitar solos go, e.g. "Heartbreaker" ...Awful.

Jimmy Page may the best rhythm guitarist on there, but he did some

real stinkers as far as guitar solos go, e.g. "Heartbreaker" ...Awful.

Completely disagree.

Page was a much better soloist/lead guitarist than he was at riffing. He only created two or three great riffs ("Whole Lotta Love", "Kashmir", and "In the Evening"... maybe a fourth in "The Ocean"). Iommi crafted at least that many great riffs ("Paranoid", "Iron Man", "War Pigs", "Sabbra Cadabra", and "Heaven and Hell" for starters). Page pisses all over Iommi though, when it comes to solos.

IMO, what made Metallica great was/is the combination of a neo-Iommi in Hetfield with a neo-Page in Hammett.

Jimmy Page may the best rhythm guitarist on there, but he did some

real stinkers as far as guitar solos go, e.g. "Heartbreaker" ...Awful.

Completely disagree.

Page was a much better soloist/lead guitarist than he was at riffing. He only created two or three great riffs ("Whole Lotta Love", "Kashmir", and "In the Evening"... maybe a fourth in "The Ocean"). Iommi crafted at least that many great riffs ("Paranoid", "Iron Man", "War Pigs", "Sabbra Cadabra", and "Heaven and Hell" for starters). Page pisses all over Iommi though, when it comes to solos.

IMO, what made Metallica great was/is the combination of a neo-Iommi in Hetfield with a neo-Page in Hammett.

What's the saying? Opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got one. And it stinks.

So...

Iommi is a riff god, no arguments there. And, like Django Reinhardt, he's only got two good fingers yet is nonetheless a distinctive soloist. And he's probably a Villa fan. But he's not on the poll...

As for Page, there's far more to rhythm guitar than just riffing. He could pull out all the Bert Jansch-inspired English-folksy shit when he wanted to too. In his own way, he's a wonderful guitarist, a tone monster - but he just does way too much tedious blues tock wailing for my taste. Similarly Stevie Ray.

And, IMO of course, Hammet and Hetfield are ordinary guitarists.

what about Angus Young, he's way better than soft rock/pop guitarist May

That has to be a joke, right? I can't take a guitarplayer who admits that he only knows 4 chords seriously. And definitely not a person who thinks that he's a good one at that. Angus Young is a decent one, nothing more.

Adrain Legg is something a bit different. Plays a song, and then changes a note by retuning the string. Carries on playing, and then retunes another string. From listening, you'd never know that's how he's altering notes, but to play with his dexterity and on an 'out of tune' guitar is one of the more amazing things I've witnessed

Edit: Not a rock guitarist, so probably OT by definition. Apologies

Rhythm guitar kings:

Mick Green

Wilko Johnson

Pete Townshend

Johnny Marr

Steve Cropper

Pops Staples

John Lennon

Page's soloing on "Heartbreaker" is WONDERFUL.

John Squire is also superb, one of my favourites, but I think he fails on the "uniqueness" test - he is largely the product of his (very impressive) influences - Roger McGuinn on the first Roses album, Page, Hendrix, Peter Green, Clapton, etc. on the second.

what about Angus Young, he's way better than soft rock/pop guitarist May

That has to be a joke, right? I can't take a guitarplayer who admits that he only knows 4 chords seriously. And definitely not a person who thinks that he's a good one at that. Angus Young is a decent one, nothing more.

BEHAVE! Brian May is a dull as dishwater guitarist. where's the groove ? where's the emotion ? he actually has a sound that could make me vomit! its certainly unique i'll give him that. but then again so was Hitler

apart from Sir Keef, Iommi and Page. there are NO better riff-makers than Ang & Mal

unless the criteria for being a great player now isn't making great riffs and great songs ???

BEHAVE! Brian May is a dull as dishwater guitarist. where's the groove ? where's the emotion ? he actually has a sound that could make me vomit! its certainly unique i'll give him that. but then again so was Hitler.
Godwin's Law invoked, lock the thread.

Although you could argue that both Jimi and SRV are Blues guitarists, not Rock.

No Blues, no Rock; try looking at it positively?

Well for me that is a positive thing as i prefer Blues to Rock thanks! :thumb:

Â