Match Thread: Villa v Man City

limpid

I was gonna slate the ref but he finally redeemed himself. Clear and obvious red card, Guardiola would have been screaming red card if it was Mings on Foden.

We have a chance here but we need to keep the ball for longer than 3 seconds. I'd be tempted to bring Davis on

• Like 1

I'd haul Luiz, put Ramsey central and Watkins coming in from wide to support Davis. 

We don't have to go gung ho a point would still be a cracking result 10 men or not. 

Oh and keep our heads. Any opportunity the ref gets to even things you just know he will. 

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

However, if Mings does his job and makes the challenge Martinez doesn't try to come for it.

Disagree with that, mings does jump for the ball he's just nowhere near rodri, no way can emi see that, he's come for the cross based on the flight of the ball not on rodri and Mings 

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

On consideration, I’d actually be pretty happy for City to piss off into a permanent super mega awesome league, this is just ridiculous to watch.

We’re nowhere near them, they can find time and space all over the pitch, even with 10 men.

When I heard about the SuperLeague and hear Man City were up for it, I thought - yeah, Man City or Bayern are different gravy.

But then I heard about Spurs, Arsenal or Plop 😂

• Haha 1

Need to man mark Foden with the extra man. If Smith doesn’t know that now he needs shot.

Giving the ball away to Man City in front of your 18 yard box is suicidal. Did it three times and won’t get away with it again.

Feel Villa can get at City but need to press more and win those second balls.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yes they are good, but we make them look good, 19% possession??, come on thats a joke, we let teams like Man City come on to us, we stand off, dont rough em up, we hoof the ball and it comes straight back, we didnt even try to hold on to the ball.

Yes they are good, but we make them look way better with our poor play!

Maybe but one of the best club teams in the world are on fire tonight, it’s hard to stop that.  I agree we haven’t been great but bloody hell they are superb tonight on the ball.  The ball is sticking to Foden’s almost Messi like.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yes they are good, but we make them look good, 19% possession??, come on thats a joke, we let teams like Man City come on to us, we stand off, dont rough em up, we hoof the ball and it comes straight back, we didnt even try to hold on to the ball.

Yes they are good, but we make them look way better with our play!

22% according to the Beeb :D

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We need some players in the summer who can hold on to the ball.

Poor players is just half the problem i'm afraid. This is coaching.

Bielsa is making bang average players pass the ball around way better than we do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, El Zen said:

What the hell is Pep’s issue? Has he not seen it?

You can't complain about that kind of thing now. VAR have multiple views of it. Then the ref goes and looks at what they suggest is a red.. If its a silly/dodgy decision he ignores it. If he gets the red out it's 2 separate sets of officials who have said "that's a red" 

• Like 1

After all that’s happened this week and the sheer fact we rarely get a result against these since the petrol fund, I’m just desperate for us to take something off these. I appreciate we’re all just thinking about next season now but it would genuinely mean the world to take points off these lot. 

• Like 1

We can’t just hope to defend all game and hit them on the counter. They’re too good on the ball and they just kill off our counter attacks because all our players are in our box. We don’t look comfortable actually playing football when we’re in possession, I’m not sure what the plan is. I’m all for Davis, let’s see if he can force something through.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yes they are good, but we make them look way better with our play!

100%agree we are good enough to pass the ball on hold onto possession more than we are.

The biggest culprits in surrendering possession to early are McGinn with just dire passing, Mings with aimless long balls, and Martinez poor distribution.

I'd get mcginn off for Davis.  Bring Ramsey into the middle and push ollie out wide.

Davis will hold the ball against these defenders no bother and bring ollie and traore in to play.