Breakaway League

Jareth

23 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

We are still the 7th most successfull team in terms of trophies. One less than Spurs. 

We've won 21 major trophies to Spurs' 17.  Or you can deduct one Super Cup each if you don't count that.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

I think a lot of real football fans are against this idea which is clear to see. Unfortunately, due to the globalisation of football, this new fangled idea is probably targetted at foreign glory hunters. I can imagine that a lot of the revenue will come through broadcasting rights. If these clubs are booted out of the Premier League and players are excluded from international tournaments sanctioned by FIFA, does this mean that their registrations will also be terminated by FIFA and therefore they wouldn't be able to transfer to a club like, say Villa?

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This piece of shit is the leader of it, FIFA should ban him for life for a start

i think what he is saying is completely right

but his answer to it is completely wrong, rather than try and mould newer football fans in to understanding what football is all about and trying to encourage them to support juve over barca or man city he wants to pander to them, those who support 2 clubs, those who buy ronaldo and messi shirts rather than club shirts, he doesnt want the die hards, he has to work to earn them, he wants the casuals, he wants that Gen Z or whatever the **** he called them, those that dont care about football to somehow put money in juventus' pocket

he openly admits that he has no interest in die hard life long juventus fans - when he says "the fan" at the centre, he means the football fan, he doesnt mean the juventus fan, he wants mindless generic football fans with no allegiances chucking money everywhere, he's not looking at potential new markets and asking how can he make them support juventus, he doesnt care who they support as long as juventus get paid from them

he makes it sound like it'll be the NFL international series in 10 years time, juve playing barca in the new 80k seater stadium in Jakarta, the shirt of every super league club being worn in the crowd, a faux home team

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i think what he is saying is completely right

but his answer to it is completely wrong, rather than try and mould newer football fans in to understanding what football is all about and trying to encourage them to support juve over barca or man city he wants to pander to them, those who support 2 clubs, those who buy ronaldo and messi shirts rather than club shirts, he doesnt want the die hards, he has to work to earn them, he wants the casuals, he wants that Gen Z or whatever the **** he called them, those that dont care about football to somehow put money in juventus' pocket

he openly admits that he has no interest in die hard life long juventus fans - when he says "the fan" at the centre, he means the football fan, he doesnt mean the juventus fan, he wants mindless generic football fans with no allegiances chucking money everywhere, he's not looking at potential new markets and asking how can he make them support juventus, he doesnt care who they support as long as juventus get paid from them

he makes it sound like it'll be the NFL international series in 10 years time, juve playing barca in the new 80k seater stadium in Jakarta, the shirt of every super league club being worn in the crowd, a faux home team

That will be the demographic of the ESL, certainly. 
Wait til he realises that if only one team wins the ESL, the casual fans will just start 'supporting' them and not Juventus. 

The fact that 'casual fan' is an oxymoron will ruin him. After he, and those like him, have ruined football. 

I think all the clubs involved have to be kicked out of the league, and I'm not giving up hope that it's something that could happen. At this point the PL and the 'other' 14 clubs have nothing to lose. If this plan goes ahead there will be no drama, no spectacle with any of the games, 90% of the games will have no meaning especially towards the end of the season when 1 team is 15 points clear of the rest. No one will want to watch it, the PL TV deal will plummet, sponsors etc, anything we fear we will lose if the 'big 6' are kicked out will end up being lost anyway, financially speaking. 

For football to survive without these clubs we will need the current TV deals like Sky to keep going, which could happen as they don't seem to have any input into this breakaway, they might want to continue supporting the PL to benefit themselves also. 

To make things more interesting and to get interest levels rising without the big 6, it could be a good time to let the Scottish clubs come in. 

Honestly though I'm just totally gutted, I've been in mourning about this all day as it feels like football has already died for me. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Wouldn't you then have the problem of a bunch of other billionaires owning other clubs outside the bullshit league that will offer crazy wages? Why stay in a non-competitive mini league if you can play in a real league making more money?

That'd be like a billionaire buying Stoke in the Championship and making them the best side in the world even though they aren't allowed to be promoted. Who is going to lose billions of pounds so they can win the Championship time and time again?

Clubs outside the super league won't be owned by billionaires - the ceiling this puts on other clubs makes investment outside of this group unattractive. NSWE bought Villa for £60m - they've invested more than £200m and now the club is worth maybe £400m. Their plan is to make us more competitive, a bigger brand, to grow Villa through investment and smart decisions made by good people to the point where the club is worth £1bn.

Without the big revenue the PL brings and without the possibility of ever being able to compete with the likes of Spurs or Chelsea, the possibility of the club ever being worth £1bn is removed - and with it the reason for investment - in fact, the possibility of the club remaining at £400m is probably removed - the whole reason that the billionaires are here would be gone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

their statement last night was worryingly soft.

It really was. They'll follow the money unfortunately.

The more I think about it, the more I think it could be a good thing. Look at football right now. Look at the kick off times (Covid aside). Look at VAR. Look at the money in the game. It's all just a circus tbh. We've all been calling for 'the big reset' for a number of years and this is the perfect opportunity for it. Throw the 6 clubs out of the PL, promote 6 from the Championship or something similar and start again. It honestly doesn't bother me if Villa are playing Rotherham or Arsenal, I'll enjoy the spectacle regardless.

Ban the breakaway clubs. Let them go and play in front of 50,000 people in Qatar on a Tuesday morning, live on China's number 1 streaming network.

Reset. Reimagine. Bring the game back to the people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

Brilliant. ESL already said they had legal advice on this, but need national associations to follow up and close the loop. If players are at clubs not domestically registered then they play outside the structures of football so can be chinned off from the national team. 

Â