Breakaway League

Jareth

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

And this should be a massive worry for players and agents - if you're Jack Grealish, then you'll be fine, a Super League club will pick you up and pay you similar money to what you're on now, but if you're Matt Cash, Douglas Luiz, John McGinn and so on - are you good enough to get there, are you amongst the top 300 odd footballers in the world?

If you're not in the best 30 in the world in your position, you're not getting into the Superleague and if you're not getting into the Super league, that £60k a week you're on now isn't staying around - you're going to have to budget for a huge pay cut - you're going to have to budget for a quarter of your money. 

I hope players can see that.

At the very, very top, there will be controls in the bubble that mean they don't have to pay Haaland a million pound a week because there will be nowhere else for him to go, they can restrict it and he'll have his earnings ceiling reduced - there's a narrow band of around 250 footballers that will be okay - for everyone else, this is a move to lower wages.

Yep spot on 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Imagine just writing that. Just how? I'd vomit before I could get half way in that sentence.

This is like that bullshit in Eurovision, where they have semi finals but France always get to the final despite their entry being a dog in a hat. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

This is like that bullshit in Eurovision, where they have semi finals but France always get to the final despite their entry being a dog in a hat. 

Dog in a hat otherwise known as Spurs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll tell you what, if nothing else this will be the death of the EFL. What's the point in supporting a lower league team if you can never reach the pinnacle (even if it was highly unlikely anyway). 

5 hours ago, maxjackle said:

Has it been said anywhere how the extra 5 are calculated? Would England get an extra place every season, or is it some strange rules across all of Europe. Last time I checked there were more than 5 countries in Europe- so do they just pick who sold the most shirts in Asia that season?

They've said it will be on 'merit' but that merit isn't necessarily a sporting merit.

It'll be based on who can draw in most viewers, who has a 'compelling narrative'.  Perhaps Leeds with their charming Bielsa story, maybe Napoli with the romance of Maradona, Monaco because it's a lovely day out for the boys in the office, Inter Miami so that their wives can all have their picture taken with David Beckham, maybe Villa so we can introduce Jack to the league and run the story of 'Who will he join?'.

I think the only thing we can be sure of is that it'll be strictly rotated, they can't afford to let any team get their hands on the money on a regular basis.

Something to think about. What happens if a club is voted out of the Super League? It's not inconceivable that a permanent member who consistently underperforms (Spurs/Arsenal) would be removed, and replaced with the next big thing from the domestic game, especially seeing as this is all about money. Or maybe Florentino Perez decides he doesn't want Atletico Madrid in the Super League anymore, as he wants to avoid competition from his local rivals? What happens then?

Presumably they will try to come back to the domestic leagues, but what league do they come back into? They aren't likely to be welcomed back into the top division straight away, if at all. I would argue that no league would welcome them back at all. You could be looking at a situation where if a club is removed from the Super League for whatever reason, the club has nothing to compete for, and simply ceases to exist.

I want them to just go and make a massive failure out of it, leaving the way for the rest of football to actually play competitively. If these clubs want to become football's Harlem Globetrotters then they can go

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

Who are the three expected to join them, then?

Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Porto, Monaco?

They have tried for Bayern, Dortmund and Porto. From what I've read they've all said no, but I only have that as hear say.

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

'New spots for elite teams that failed to qualify'

Even without this American franchise League the game's buggered.

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

so now we're at pick your poison, the better alternative solution to the super league is still a complete load of bollocks that'll ruin football, its just a complete load of bollocks that'll ruin football controlled by the assholes who already own a competition thats a complete load of bollocks and ruining football

If this is indeed all a shell game, they can start winding it down and beating a graceful (graceles) retreat now.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Will the PFA oppose it?

Excellent question. As they represent players at all levels, I would guess 'not in a million years'.

Â