Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

17 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

So even Man City can struggle against the press (for those watching the Spurs game) 🙂

I think that’s why it’s important to zoom out for the big picture and understand that Leicester will occasionally happen. 

The club will learn and/or will ship out those who can’t keep up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

At home, I think he needs to set the team up a little bit more how he does away until we can get some different defenders in. Judging by his post match interviews he sounds like he is thinking of adapting his approach, so am half expecting a more pragmatic home performance next time - Less entertaining and more compact. 

Any win is always welcome. Whatever does the job I suppose.

The attacking play is actually there IMO.

We made enough chances to beat Utd, Wolves, Liverpool, Leicester. Just couldn't finish enough!

Four goals conceded at home hurts, but play like that most weeks without gifting your opponents three goals and we'll win.

10 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I'm confident he's far better than Gerrard but results have been fairly mixed so far if we include cup games:

Man U, Brighton and Spurs - brilliant wins and performances

Leeds, Southampton - we won but weren't great in either especially Leeds

Wolves, Liverpool, Leicester - poor results against Wolves and Leicester given where they are in the table and we were at home, and Liverpool result looks bad now given their results this season

Stevenage - absolutely awful result

Wolves have a world class manager too Lopetegui is a great manager and knows Don Unai well. They also have good players. They’re in a false position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

kamara wasnt pressured easily, Emi made a hospital pass, Kamara was too confident and didnt offload when he could have, got swarmed and dispossessed, it was the good old swiss cheese model scenario. (ironically it was very similar to both the Dendoncker one versus Stevenage, and the Luiz one versus Brighton), we really need to learn from these mistakes, 3 players have effectively made the same mistake in 3 different games, and Emi made the poor pass twice, Olsen made one of them.)

If you look at a freeze frame of the Kamara one, Emi shouldnt have even passed to him, he was surrounded by 3 Leicester players, where as the CBs were completely open and free either side, even then, Kamara should have realised immediately that it was a bad pass and offloaded it to the left or right CB, its just multiple mistakes leading to one outcome, and we need to learn from them and not continue to do it.....

We just need to make better decisions, be less complacent, etc.

emery wont change his tactics, he had implemented them everywhere he has gone, if the players cant play his system, they wont be here long.

I know Kamara was a bit silly trying to hold on to it (but he usually can), same as Donk and Luiz, but the GK shouldnt be making that pass (either Emi or Olsen), they should have chosen a different option.

The other thing i have observed generally with Emi 1, is he slows it down too much, allows the opposition to close players down, close passing channels and allow them to set for their press, rather than recycling the ball and keeping things moving, i love Emi 1, but he needs to stop standing on the ball and allowing all the opposition players to set themselves, it would be more effective overall if we kept the ball moving, kept pulling players around and didnt let them settle or set a press.

image.png.2defe6c34a1247f53c81ca6423607239.png

Only thing is if Kamara gets out there he instantly takes 3 players out of the game. The whole standing on the ball thing is an attempt bait the press and drag players out of position. But I agree sometimes he needs to mix it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

kamara wasnt pressured easily, Emi made a hospital pass, Kamara was too confident and didnt offload when he could have, got swarmed and dispossessed, it was the good old swiss cheese model scenario. (ironically it was very similar to both the Dendoncker one versus Stevenage, and the Luiz one versus Brighton), we really need to learn from these mistakes, 3 players have effectively made the same mistake in 3 different games, and Emi made the poor pass twice, Olsen made one of them.)

If you look at a freeze frame of the Kamara one, Emi shouldnt have even passed to him, he was surrounded by 3 Leicester players, where as the CBs were completely open and free either side, even then, Kamara should have realised immediately that it was a bad pass and offloaded it to the left or right CB, its just multiple mistakes leading to one outcome, and we need to learn from them and not continue to do it.....

emery wont change his tactics, he had implemented them everywhere he has gone, if the players cant play his system, they wont be here long.

I know Kamara was a bit silly trying to hold on to it (but he usually can), same as Donk and Luiz, but the GK shouldnt be making that pass (either Emi or Olsen), they should have chosen a different option.

The other thing i have observed generally with Emi 1, is he slows it down too much, allows the opposition to close players down, close passing channels and allow them to set for their press, rather than recycling the ball and keeping things moving, i love Emi 1, but he needs to stop standing on the ball and allowing all the opposition players to set themselves, it would be more effective overall if we kept the ball moving, kept pulling players around and didnt let them settle or set a press.

Out wide to Digne and Young were much better and safer options.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

As a team, we don't like to be pressed.....I can only assume, we don't do much work on it in training.

We need a Vinnie Jones, in the squad to bring on in times like this......I'm exaggerating to push my point.

So many times , we lost the ball in one on ones, and just conceded possession.

The fourth goal will go down as a Moreno error, as it should......but how many noticed  Cash failing to close down Harvey Barnes, just allowing him to fire a ball over the top of us....its bloody casual and puny.

All these teams we play, can play at some stage....."If you let them play".....We LET Leicester Play, its that simple.

Everton yesterday, shut Arsenal down, and got the result, Fulham did it the night before.....we have been doing it away from home.....so why are we so bloody open and sloppy at Home?

Complacency my friend. They on great form so thought they could walk it. You cant do that in any game in this league. They stay fully focused they win that game comfortably.

Same problem every manager has had to face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Only thing is if Kamara gets out there he instantly takes 3 players out of the game. The whole standing on the ball thing is an attempt bait the press and drag players out of position. But I agree sometimes he needs to mix it up.

Emi giving him the ball wasn’t a great move but he had more than enough time to release it. He was trying to dribble it out the box. Kamara has been good this season but that goal was on him.  He’s young and will learn from it. 

2 hours ago, WHY said:

Whatever level of football you play at the goalkeeper should never play a straight ball in this position imo. You lose the ball they are straight in on goal. You have to go wide!

Teams are playing much higher risk passes from the back nowadays though. City have been picked off a few times recently with high risk passes when they’re being pressed. Pep’s (and maybe Emery’s) analysts will probably have worked out the risk of conceding versus the reward of beating a high press through the middle and reckon it’s worth it.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

As a team, we don't like to be pressed.....I can only assume, we don't do much work on it in training.

We need a Vinnie Jones, in the squad to bring on in times like this......I'm exaggerating to push my point.

So many times , we lost the ball in one on ones, and just conceded possession.

The fourth goal will go down as a Moreno error, as it should......but how many noticed  Cash failing to close down Harvey Barnes, just allowing him to fire a ball over the top of us....its bloody casual and puny.

All these teams we play, can play at some stage....."If you let them play".....We LET Leicester Play, its that simple.

Everton yesterday, shut Arsenal down, and got the result, Fulham did it the night before.....we have been doing it away from home.....so why are we so bloody open and sloppy at Home?

Certainly was not afraid to go searching for the ball...

EP_8uqLW4AA4g2l.jpg

Spoiler

984D9933-7BF3-4FC7-9C9C-6A851DB907A4.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

This one baffles me. The ball to the edge of the box in the middle of the field is schoolboy stuff.

Your fullbacks are split. One of them even has his back turned (Mings) as he's "moving to his position". If something goes wrong (the pass is a little off, the first touch is poor or - in this case - 3 opposition players are waiting for it around the "D") then there is no way for the 2 CB's to recover in time.

I can't honestly believe they do this in training. Its suicide!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

This one baffles me. The ball to the edge of the box in the middle of the field is schoolboy stuff.

Your fullbacks are split. One of them even has his back turned (Mings) as he's "moving to his position". If something goes wrong (the pass is a little off, the first touch is poor or - in this case - 3 opposition players are waiting for it around the "D") then there is no way for the 2 CB's to recover in time.

I can't honestly believe they do this in training. Its suicide!

i doubt they are doing this specific thing in training, well.....they clearly do......but not in the way the players do it in that specific moment.

i imagine they do pass it to the central player a million times, and to the wide CBs etc.

I think the problem in that picture isnt "i hope they dont do that in training", but more "yeah you may have made this pass in training, but in this moment, you need to be intelligent and make the right decision" (ie: one of the wide CBs - not to kamara).

All this smells of to me is, they can learn to draw dot to dot, but sometimes they arent yet at the point of making an in game, live, intelligent decision, they just do dot to dot without thinking.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Agree with much of this although the standing on the ball tactic is one that is getting implemented more and more now as the idea is that it draws the press for you to then play it around. De Zerbi is a massive exponent of it and said he learned it from a defender of his at Foggia back in the day. A lot of sides are doing it but obviously it requires good decision making and a level of comfort in that situation which wasn't shown in the example above by anyone involved.

• Like 2

Martinez might have dropped him in it but that is the purpose of the pass. Passing to Kamara triggers the press and if you have 3 Leicester plays within your own 18, there will be space further up the pitch. 

Martinez has played this ball several times to Kamara and he should have an easy back pass to Konsa or Mings who need to be snappier getting it up the pitch. 

• Like 3

10,000 lines for Emi....."I must not make hospital passes out"

He might remember then.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, villarule123 said:

RequiredAfraidKusimanse-max-1mb.gif

I guess it could work, but I would like to have 11 players on the pitch. 

I guess you don't watch other teams, in the Prem.....or appreciate the art of tackling...😀

but Vinnie was an extreme example....every team needs a hard B****** to some degree.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Guess you'd have kept Nakamba around then TRO, as he can tackle.

Not with the same Venom....The ones I like, is where opponents are too scared to come near them....and too afraid to look at them in the tunnel.

Roy Keane and Paul Ince......Viera and Petit......Souness and Case.....Jones and Wise.....Giles and Bremner.

We miss Steve McMahon too......snapping at the heels.

...all pussies today.

Unai needs one of that type, in the squad.

Edited by TRO

Â