Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

8 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

So our matchday squad once everyone fit

Martinez, Young, Carlos, Mings, Moreno, luiz, kamara, buendia, bailey, ramsey, watkins

olsen, konsa, cash, digne, dendoncker, mcginn, coutinho, traore, duran, 

Looks good to me

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

So our matchday squad once everyone fit

Martinez, Young, Carlos, Mings, Moreno, luiz, kamara, buendia, bailey, ramsey, watkins

olsen, konsa, cash, digne, dendoncker, mcginn, coutinho, traore, duran, 

A few injuries away from getting into the youths but probably enough to get us to the summer.

I think we're actually stronger now than we were at the start of the window

Traore and Duran makes us stronger in attack even with Ings gone

Sanson and Nakamba gone as midfield options but they weren't used anyway

Moreno an upgrade on Augustinsson and possibly Digne

Carlos to come back.

If they don't go out on loan Kesler Hayden and Bogarde two players we didn't have available first half of the season, that I think more than capable of playing for the first team if needed.

• Like 2

Gks: Martinez, Olsen

Olsen is not good enough.  Maybe Sinisalo or Marschal will get a chance?

Lbs: Moreno, Digne

I don't think Digne fits in here, and will likely get moved on but generally happy.

Rbs: Cash, Young, KKH

Cash looks out of favor and I never really rated him, Young, player of season for me so far but age is against him, KKH hopefully can get some game time.  Happy

Cbs: Ming's, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, Hause

I don't think any of these, except Carlos, is technically good enough for our system.  Konsa isn't good in the air and lacks strength, Ming's has an awful habit of making big mistakes and his passing often let's him down.  Chambers and Hause just aren't good enough.  Not seen enough of Carlos to judge, and after a bad injury will he be the same player?  Lots of work needed here.

Dm: Kamara, Dendoncker

Others could slot in, but I think we can do better than Donc.  Hopefully Tim can step up next season.

Cm: Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn

Again, I think we can improve here.  I'm not convinced by JJ, and I think McGinn is a fading force.  Luiz the only one I'd keep, and probably as a squad player rather than starter

Am/Wm: Bailey, Traore, Buendia, Coutinho

I think we can work with Bailey and Traore for now, but Emi and Court just have not worked.  Need better.

St: Watkins, Duran

I don't think Watkins is good enough, and not seen anything on Duran.  Need better.

Overall, lots to do still

• Haha 1

When Emery took over and this is our 1st team and 2nd team

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne

Ramsey/McGinn, Luiz, Kamara, Buendia

Bailey, Watkins

Olsen, Young, Chambers, Bednarek, Augustinsson

Sanson, Nakamba, Dendoncker, Coutinho

Ings, Archer

We are clearing out that 2nd team. I think Young, Dendoncker and maybe Olsen might be in our squad come September. I think clearing out the back up players is step 1 and then signing players who make our first team players the back up is step 2. 

Moreno & Carlos are two of the outfield players who will push the 1st team to then bench. I can see a Right Back, Striker, Wide Forward, Right Midfielder all signed in Summer. So 6 of the 10 outfield first team will be changed by September. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Gks: Martinez, Olsen

Olsen is not good enough.  Maybe Sinisalo or Marschal will get a chance?

Lbs: Moreno, Digne

I don't think Digne fits in here, and will likely get moved on but generally happy.

Rbs: Cash, Young, KKH

Cash looks out of favor and I never really rated him, Young, player of season for me so far but age is against him, KKH hopefully can get some game time.  Happy

Cbs: Ming's, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, Hause

I don't think any of these, except Carlos, is technically good enough for our system.  Konsa isn't good in the air and lacks strength, Ming's has an awful habit of making big mistakes and his passing often let's him down.  Chambers and Hause just aren't good enough.  Not seen enough of Carlos to judge, and after a bad injury will he be the same player?  Lots of work needed here.

Dm: Kamara, Dendoncker

Others could slot in, but I think we can do better than Donc.  Hopefully Tim can step up next season.

Cm: Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn

Again, I think we can improve here.  I'm not convinced by JJ, and I think McGinn is a fading force.  Luiz the only one I'd keep, and probably as a squad player rather than starter

Am/Wm: Bailey, Traore, Buendia, Coutinho

I think we can work with Bailey and Traore for now, but Emi and Court just have not worked.  Need better.

St: Watkins, Duran

I don't think Watkins is good enough, and not seen anything on Duran.  Need better.

Overall, lots to do still

This is a ridiculously harsh assessment on a squad that has just taken 16 points from 21 available since having a real manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It's hilarious to see the difference in training drills from Emery's team vs those of Gerrard's team.  Emery's drills are all 1-2 touch/pass/move/shoot oriented and fit exactly into the style of football we're trying to play on matchday...  Gerrard's seemed to be a lot of individual shooting drills, dribbling around cones, and 5/side games.  Just looking at the drills in this video where the central midfielders are trying to play over the top balls into the channel for the forwards to run onto and finish after a touch are exactly the kind of things we do in a match.  Shows the massive difference in quality between the two coaching teams.  

Yeah it looks like he's teaching the players really specific ways of finding space in attack.

What I like about Emery is although he's generally quite a defensive manager who's big on defensive shape, he combines that with some really clever attacking moves. It's not that classic 1-0, set pieces, pace and moments of magic style of defensive management (a la MON for example). It's got some attacking style to it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah it looks like he's teaching the players really specific ways of finding space in attack.

What I like about Emery is although he's generally quite a defensive manager who's big on defensive shape, he combines that with some really clever attacking moves. It's not that classic 1-0, set pieces, pace and moments of magic style of defensive management (a la MON for example). It's got some attacking style to it.

It's why Villarreal were so fascinating to watch. They could suffocate the life out of a match defensively but they had some real bite in attack and were great to watch when going forward. For me this is what I think of when people say Total Football. Just complete mastery of the game from front to back.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's why Villarreal were so fascinating to watch. They could suffocate the life out of a match defensively but they had some real bite in attack and were great to watch when going forward. For me this is what I think of when people say Total Football. Just complete mastery of the game from front to back.

Love it.

My idea, of good Football, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

100% this...  Which is why I'm so excited for the future.  It'll take a few windows, but you really get the sense that after we upgrade the squad a Champions League run is a very real possibility for us again.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's exactly what Newcastle has been doing for the last 12 months. If Emery can get the players doing what he wants then I don't see why we can't have similar success. 

48 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

From Watkins interview he talks about Emery telling him to stay in position and trust the ball will come to you. This alone will help Watkins contribute more goals and assists I feel. 

It's also a sign of Emery being totally clear what he expects from his players. Watkins is very quick and if he's staying in the left CF spot he's stretching the pitch creating more space for his teammates if the opposition defenders don't play a high line (often fear of opposition players pace means defenders drop a little deeper). Then if they do play high line. he has the space behind them to attack into.

If Watkins was coming deep to get involved in play more (as he said he was doing) then that wouldn't be helping in the way Emery wants. I think this clarity of what he wants from his players in detail is helping them a lot.

Best thing about Emery I imagine, over Gerrard and some previous donuts in charge, is he probably has video sessions of upcoming opponents and giving players instructions on players to target. He seems that meticulous which we've been crying out for from a manager for ages

57 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

From Watkins interview he talks about Emery telling him to stay in position and trust the ball will come to you. This alone will help Watkins contribute more goals and assists I feel. 

It's also a sign of Emery being totally clear what he expects from his players. Watkins is very quick and if he's staying in the left CF spot he's stretching the pitch creating more space for his teammates if the opposition defenders don't play a high line (often fear of opposition players pace means defenders drop a little deeper). Then if they do play high line. he has the space behind them to attack into.

If Watkins was coming deep to get involved in play more (as he said he was doing) then that wouldn't be helping in the way Emery wants. I think this clarity of what he wants from his players in detail is helping them a lot.

It's so exciting.

Emery will miss nothing.

Everyone will be be given the platform and direction to shine.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's so exciting.

Emery will miss nothing.

Everyone will be be given the platform and direction to shine.

Yep. One thing I’ve enjoyed about Emery so far is his consistency in formation and team. It’s no secret I’m not a fan of a couple of players in our side but the best sides (City aside due to their squad), tend to play the same XI as much as possible in the league. Look at Arsenal. I think they’ve played the same team/formation all season barring injuries. 

It’s a good way of working. The players know the system and if they need to come in to the team, they know exactly what they need to do and what their job is.

The performances do need to improve a little at times, but we’re doing something I haven’t seen us do in the PL since the Martin O’Neill days, and that’s win matches when we’re not playing well. We’re much harder to beat than we’ve been for a long time. If we can get some better players in, logic suggests we’ll be in a really healthy position and challenging the European places.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Where can I find that interview?

On 01/02/2023 at 23:35, Condimentalist said:

This is a ridiculously harsh assessment on a squad that has just taken 16 points from 21 available since having a real manager.

Got to love when people say about Luiz I'd only keep him as a squad player. When he's fairly strong in midfield, defensively and his attacking output is very good. 

He's 14th in the league in assists. And only Iwobi and Pereira have more among players that don't play for Utd, Arsenal, City, Tottenham or Liverpool. They have played about 400 more minutes this season than him. And he's got 2 goals as well. 

He's averaging 3.88 Tackles + Interceptions per 90. And 55 passes per 90 as well. And that will only go up under Unai.

Arsenal wanted to sign him. Likely as insurance for if Partey gets arrested for what he allegedly did. 

Honeslty wild what some people think. 

• Like 1

Â