Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Can't wait for the summer. But I am so fed up with our defensive passing, and shape. What is Unai doing? **** all. And for the last time. When it trouble at the back, **** SMACK IT. I loathe, loathe loathe passing round the back, the first goal today was inevitable. Once that goes in, it's gift after gift. **** clearings in the woods. 

City and Arsenal up next so going to be 3 defeats on the trot. If the words removed were on the ball we could have been looking at pushing the top 8, instead, come the end of the month we might be feeling very twitchy about sides below us on the way up. Season's a **** write off. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Fair. What do you make of these comments then? Do you think he will hold his nerve and continue to play out?

Interesting.

I think its fair to say that we should mix it up as required, even if you play out 90% of the time, there are times where being more direct is required, or even preferable, maybe its that some of our players are acting a little like robots at times, following dot to dot, rather than intelligently being able to see and decide when playing out is the right choice at any given time.

tbh some of our goals conceded are just plain mistakes/stupidity, or even other players not showing/making themselves available, meaning we paint ourselves in to a corner i dunno.....we will see i suppose!

• Like 2

I think our defence will improve when Carlos is back (injury recovery being a huge factor though). He’s more comfortable with the ball, you saw it with the Brazilian keepy ups he was doing before his injury with Coutinho and Luiz.

I think Carlos will dislodge Konsa at RCB personally (think he only played LCB due to Kounde playing RCB at Sevilla) and if we get another progressive ball playing LCB in the summer we’ll be flying.

Having the above and Mings and Konsa in reserve as cover/rotation options will move us massively forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Two thirds of the possession again today, twice as many shots as the opposition, 4 times as many corners. We have dominated today's game and I think in some ways it was one of our best performances under Emery not one of the worst as I have seen suggested. Individual errors have cost us massively which whilst hugely frustrating I can take some solace from that as I'd rather that than the system/shape/tactics of the manager be the reason for defeat. 

He hasn't got a lot wrong since he got here and didn't get a lot wrong today. 

Spot on. 

Oddity in that we were probably the better side but critical errors at the back cost us. 

Also shows that despite having the better possession, Villa desperately need better carriers of the ball. Tete and Barnes had the freedom of the flanks to really run at us and once they got the fullbacks turned, they had time and space to pick out that diagonal run behind. 

We still often play in front of the defense with no one able to take on a man besides Bailey once in a blue moon. 

More help needed to really challenge for Europe but will accept the in progress work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

A good summary of our strengths and weaknesses. When Kamara and Luiz have off games, it shows the lack of passing we have between our CB’s. Konsa and Mings tried several times to ping passes from the back line to the forward line but were intercepted as they were very telegraphed. 

We also hurt ourselves because Leicester took the lead and were content not pressing Martinez and triggering their press whenever Kamara or Luiz received the ball. The pattern of play really should be Mings > Luiz > Mings > forward behind the midfield line press. 

But obviously not working yet. Either will have to continue working on it or replace the defenders…

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rodders said:

Can't wait for the summer. But I am so fed up with our defensive passing, and shape. What is Unai doing? **** all. And for the last time. When it trouble at the back, **** SMACK IT. I loathe, loathe loathe passing round the back, the first goal today was inevitable. Once that goes in, it's gift after gift. **** clearings in the woods. 

City and Arsenal up next so going to be 3 defeats on the trot. If the words removed were on the ball we could have been looking at pushing the top 8, instead, come the end of the month we might be feeling very twitchy about sides below us on the way up. Season's a **** write off. 

Actually think Emery's strength is his ability to nick points against top sides, so I wouldn't write us off just yet.

It's our style when we look to dominate a game that isn't working. When we try to negate a better side, we look very dangerous.

17 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm confident he's far better than Gerrard but results have been fairly mixed so far if we include cup games:

Man U, Brighton and Spurs - brilliant wins and performances

Leeds, Southampton - we won but weren't great in either especially Leeds

Wolves, Liverpool, Leicester - poor results against Wolves and Leicester given where they are in the table and we were at home, and Liverpool result looks bad now given their results this season

Stevenage - absolutely awful result

Input Olsen errors and insane Kamara/Dendonker errors and things look better. Having said that, we often seem to be asking for trouble with how we're playing out from the back. We were lucky against Leeds, Southampton and Wolves, not so lucky against Man U, Stevenage, Leicester. Maybe there was one more. He's clearly a good manager, but that side of things has been the opposite of convincing so far and needs to be sorted!

Edited by Rolta

32 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Input Olsen errors and insane Kamara/Dendonker errors and things look better. Having said that, we often seem to be asking for trouble with how we're playing out from the back. We were lucky against Leeds, Southampton and Wolves, not so lucky against Man U, Stevenage, Leicester. Maybe there was one more. He's clearly a good manager, but that side of things has been the opposite of convincing so far and needs to be sorted!

Yeah our playing out from the back is suicide at times. You also missed out Brighton where we did it and conceded but luckily turned the game around to win.

We are dominating possession in many games now and even controlling possession against the stronger teams in the league but we have given away some really sloppy goals from playing out from the back. It seems like they are going to keep doing it though so be prepared for it to happen again. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i have thought this for a while, but never quite decided how to put it in to words, here goes tho.....

We look good defensively when we play Emery's defensive style (away from home tactic), but our defence is actually pretty poor (we just dont see it with this style of play), as those defenders are bolstered by the low block, high numbers in defence and they are nearly always "looking forward", which makes it much easier for them to do their job etc.

When we are at home under Emery we try to be more aggressive, play a higher line etc, then the defenders get less support, have to use their intelligence, and be aware of what is in front, alongside and sometimes behind them, and i think we have seen time and again it isnt something a fair few of our defenders can do, they simply arent good enough to do it.

my point is, the defensive tactic greatly hides our defensive weaknesses, and the attacking style greatly exposes them, its very similar to the problem Gerrard had, when we tried to play expansive, our defence got spanked over and over, then Gerrard reverted to defensive, and it improved, then he tried offensive after a while and we imploded again, not defending Gerrard at all, but i think both Gerrard and Smith suffered from this fact, and now its something Emery will have to contend with for now.

The positive though, is that Emery will stick with his style regardless i think, and over time the players that cant play the style(s) as required will be moved on, and im more than happy for us to instil a style and improve over time, i just hope we dont go back to flip-flopping between styles, i hope Emery sticks to his guns, which im almost certain he will, it might be painful to watch at times tho lol (until we iron out the problems).

I agree to some extent. The goals yesterday had nothing to do with the defence being unable to play emery's style. Kamara was at fault for two goals by giving away possession in dangerous areas. The others were a result of the defenders not doing the basics right. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Gave the forum a strategic miss last night.

Have we moved on from from the whole defense is shite, Leon Bailey is the worst footballer on the planet ( Would pay his wages to release him to Walsall etc ) , Ollie is League 1 at best,  Emery got it wrong and this is why we should have spunked money in the window yet?

Never! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As I said in the match thread that was pure complacency and there’s just no place for that against any team in this league. That’s under 3 managers now we’ve seen players being way to relaxed after a bit of good form.   It’s infuriating we can ship 4 to a Leicester team that I think was one of the worst teams I’ve seen at Villa Park this season. 

Welcome to the job at hand Unai.

I don't think it was complacent really.

We dominated. We were much the better side in general play.

It was 3/4 individual errors. A mix of technical and tactical errors.

• Like 2

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I don't think it was complacent really.

We dominated. We were much the better side in general play.

It was 3/4 individual errors. A mix of technical and tactical errors.

I think the errors came from the complacency. They felt they would walk that and probably should have then before they knew it they were 3-2 down.

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah our playing out from the back is suicide at times. You also missed out Brighton where we did it and conceded but luckily turned the game around to win.

Not only is it suicide it’s completely ineffective. Mings to Konsa to Emi to Mings to lumping it up the pitch is just the same as playing long ball anyway. I think we tried to invite pressure yesterday similar to how Brighton do it (

) when Leicester were happy not to press it just made it completely redundant. There was a spell in the second half Konsa and Luiz were passing it back and forth and the game just stood still we don’t go anywhere from it. It’ll probably take time and or new players to do it, and I’m happy with the idea but when it’s not working it’s hard to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Got some serious figuring out to do after yesterday. If Kamara and Luiz are going to be pressured so easily like that and forced into errors, then we need to come up with a new system. Just the small matter of Man City and Arsenal next. Could be 3 defeats in a row. 

As a team, we don't like to be pressed.....I can only assume, we don't do much work on it in training.

We need a Vinnie Jones, in the squad to bring on in times like this......I'm exaggerating to push my point.

So many times , we lost the ball in one on ones, and just conceded possession.

The fourth goal will go down as a Moreno error, as it should......but how many noticed  Cash failing to close down Harvey Barnes, just allowing him to fire a ball over the top of us....its bloody casual and puny.

All these teams we play, can play at some stage....."If you let them play".....We LET Leicester Play, its that simple.

Everton yesterday, shut Arsenal down, and got the result, Fulham did it the night before.....we have been doing it away from home.....so why are we so bloody open and sloppy at Home?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â