Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

56 minutes ago, TomC said:

You can argue that he's looked better on the left when we've played him there, but from what I remember, when he first signed, he said the he prefers the right although he could play either side.

I don't remember that. But I do remember his step dad (Butler) to say that Bailey is a winger. His left foot is very good, he is very comfortable on the left. I can see him being used on both flanks depending on what Emery plans to target, and the respective form.of the wide players.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't remember that. But I do remember his step dad (Butler) to say that Bailey is a winger. His left foot is very good, he is very comfortable on the left. I can see him being used on both flanks depending on what Emery plans to target, and the respective form.of the wide players.

I looked around and found it...in an interview with the man himself on the club website. Watch starting about one minute in...

https://video.avfc.co.uk/video/dm9kJTdDMF9ianI3MzVxMCU3QyUyRnNlY3Rpb24lM0ZzbHVnJTNEaG9tZSU3Q2hvbWUlMkZoZXJvX2Nhcm91c2Vs?lang=en

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Reflecting on the Leicester game but if we can get the defensive errors fixed I think we are due to destroy somebody at home

I think that’s what Emery is working towards adventurous football at home that gets the place rocking and to make Villa Park a place opposing teams fear.

On 07/02/2023 at 20:35, markavfc40 said:

I am pleasantly surprised, when I put it into the context of Emery having been here 3 months/10 competitive games, how well he is implementing his style of play.

I am still scratching my head as to how we lost Saturday's game as we were by far the better team and the stats bare out what my eyes witnessed. Two thirds of the possession, over twice as many shots as Leicester and four times as many corners. Individual errors did for us and I can take plenty of solace from that as I'd much rather that than it being down to the managers tactics. 

I think a bit of perspective may be needed for some. These players spent a year under a manager who didn't have a clue and whose sole tactic was keep it tight and hope one of our creative players do something. That Emery in 3 months/10 competitive games has, pretty much with those same players, got us to actually play with a recognised style that we can now debate the intricacies of is some going. 

I can't wait to see what we can do under Emery once he has had chance to bring in more of his own players and had more time to work with some of those he inherited. There will be bumps along the road, such as Saturday, but we can now at least see where we are trying to get to. I'm going to enjoy the ride. 

I don't want to pee on your chips Mark....but since Gerrard has left, we have conceded 4 goals 3 times, in 10 games....that does not fill me, with glee....it has my expectations well in check.

UE's start has been impressive,overall, granted,  but has been mared by a few iffy home performances and bouyed by some steadfast away performances.....very impressed away from home, so far.

I too am attempting perspective, because things are not right yet, by any stretch. Our home form is not convincing IMO.

I was not scratching my head, on Saturdays performance, and for me, I could see clearly, in my own mind, the fault lines.....The stats alone for "Ground duels" was a tell tale sign.....and we was wide open, at 2 goals up, I could see it coming....that was in total contrast to our recent away performances.

I am pleased you are going to enjoy the ride, as I do others, because I like full houses......I will too, with a dash of Caution, along the way.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to pee on your chips Mark....but since Gerrard has left, we have conceded 4 goals 3 times, in 10 games....that does not fill me, with glee....it has my expectations well in check.

UE's start has been impressive,overall, granted,  but has been mared by a few iffy home performances and bouyed by some steadfast away performances.....very impressed away from home, so far.

I too am attempting perspective, because things are not right yet, by any stretch. Our home form is not convincing IMO.

I was not scratching my head, on Saturdays performance, and for me, I could see clearly, in my own mind, the fault lines.....The stats alone for "Ground duels" was a tell tale sign.....and we was wide open, at 2 goals up, I could see it coming....that was in total contrast to our recent away performances.

I am pleased you are going to enjoy the ride, as I do others, because I like full houses......I will too, with a dash of Caution, along the way.

We’ve gone from a team that was averaging 0.6 goals per game to a team averaging 1.8 goals per game. Gerrard villa didn’t take any risks and were still poor defensively. I get what you are saying re ground duels and it’s and area we need to improve , our home form is iffy because Villa Park in general is a difficult place to play. Emery is trying to implement a style of play at home that makes it difficult for the opponents to come to rather than our own players , we also have to bare in mind that these players wasted the good part of 11months training and playing for an incompetent imbecile.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2023 at 18:35, TomC said:

You can argue that he's looked better on the left when we've played him there, but from what I remember, when he first signed, he said the he prefers the right although he could play either side.

He did indeed say that. I watched that interview.

18 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

We’ve gone from a team that was averaging 0.6 goals per game to a team averaging 1.8 goals per game. Gerrard villa didn’t take any risks and were still poor defensively. I get what you are saying re ground duels and it’s and area we need to improve , our home form is iffy because Villa Park in general is a difficult place to play. Emery is trying to implement a style of play at home that makes it difficult for the opponents to come to rather than our own players , we also have to bare in mind that these players wasted the good part of 11months training and playing for an incompetent imbecile.

In Hindsight, I agree

I just feel, some parts of the poor play, haven't gone away ,yet.

Villa park is still a nervy place IMV....and thats not a good trait.....It seems that we are far more comfortable playing defensively/ cautiously away from home.

Rome wasn't built in a day, I get that, but some of the bullishness, is equally, misplaced imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We've conceded 4 goals twice under Emery. Once at Man Utd in the league cup and last Saturday against Leicester. In both those games we scored two goals ourselves and in both games individual errors cost us in what were otherwise decent performances and games we were in my opinion unfortunate to come away from having lost. 

Overall in 8 league games under Emery, where we have put out the best team we have available, we have conceded more than 1 goal twice and on both those occasions we were at home. It is clear that we are trying to play a more expansive game at home and really take games to the opposition and I think that is borne out by how we have had a tendency to score early in games at home. Clearly Emery really wants to make VP a really difficult place for the opposition to come, where they are going to be put on the back foot and where we are going to try to dominate possession. As fans of course we are going to want to buy into that but as fans we are also going to have to accept that transition from being a clueless ultra defensive side under Gerrard to how Emery wants us to play is going to take time. 

On the flip side the way we play away from home which has been more on the counter and keeping things tighter and less expansive is already reaping rewards as our away form/results have been excellent. That implementing the more expansive possession based style he wants to play at home is taking longer to implement and reap rewards shouldn't really come as a surprise, given what he inherited, but I am confident given time, and it has only been 5 league home games, it will reap rewards. We as fans have a part to play though in being patient. 

• Like 3

First match where I think Unai was outmatched tactically. To be fair, his toolbox was short of tools and also full of ‘tools’ on the pitch. 

Pep played his 3box3 and we predictably were pulled apart out wide. Digne and Buendia together are horrible on the left. Buendia is a wiling runner but slow and Digne is a willing runner but somehow even slower than Buendia. KDB and Mahrez had the freedom of the park there. 

JJ did better doubling up on Grealish but Young showed his age and got done over several times. 

The less said about Chambers the better. Without Mings, we seem colossally unorganized. We aren’t incredible with him but we’re abject without him. 

There’s really not too many takeaways for this game as we lost the impetus from the corner. 

The main thing for me is that Buendia and Digne can not play the same side against better teams. Teams will absolutely target us there in this system. Something is off with JJ and Bailey. Both need a game out of the firing line. 

I think we need a rebuild and a potential overhaul, not because we have lost two in a row but mainly because we have a squad built up of 3 managers.

Leading towards the summer when Grealish got sold, the squad has been poorly constructed and although we have some good pieces i.e (Kamara and Dougie..  ) we are very passive defensively and lack physicality. 

I don't expect this all to happen this summer and this could potentially take two seasons for the players that were with us in the first season to be moved on..

One other thing evident since Pep played our same 3box3 was the ability of Dias and Laporte to ping switches to Grealish and Mahrez. Without Diego and Mings not feeling confident doing it regularly and Konsa not at all - that cross field switch that allows wingers a quick 1v1 means our build up is often so slow, it allows the defenders to shuffle across and leave our “wingers” with no space to attack. 

Â