Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Hardly played out of the back yesterday. We lose so much possession as a result of punting so many balls upfield. 

This is what frustrates me so much. If we had Kamara and Luiz of front of the defence i’d be pretty confident we could move the ball on from there with those guys playing. To me it seems so often that McGinn gets the ball in midfield and thats where we lose possession. Want JM to do well but its mot happening and Doug is the better option for multiple reasons.

I think we're going to stick with this defensive, solid set up for the forseeable future. 4 3 2 1 and the narrow 10s are blocking the centre of the pitch. We are forcing teams to play in the channels and put crosses into the box for our CBs to mop up. This will be even easier for them if Dendoncker is playing at 6 or if Bednarek plays. 

I think from there during the world cup there is a lot of time for Gerrard and the coaching staff to reintroduce the style of play they want but they need to keep it tiled on a more defensive balance. The ultra attacking full backs and defensive 8s doesn't work and he has one chance to change that 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Seen it mentioned that when you watch this it makes you wonder where on earth the ability to play like this has gone.

He coached it out of them. Notice the fullbacks only progressing once the ball moves up the field. Midfielders are central and a bit deeper to help build play with the CBs. This was only his 9th game in charge so I'm thinking there were still some of Dean's principles floating around. We didn't see Steven's full system implemented til they got that mini mid season break and then laid a total egg versus Newcastle. Been downhill since then. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Seen it mentioned that when you watch this it makes you wonder where on earth the ability to play like this has gone.

It’s confidence. It ain’t great at the moment.  That game was on the back of good form.

A continued unbeaten run should help confidence return. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s confidence. It ain’t great at the moment.  That game was on the back of good form.

We didn't play like that after a run of 3 wins last season.

He doesn't want them to. He wants full backs up front, midfielders sat at full back and one guy in the middle of the pitch.

It's a pattern he keeps coming back to and it will never work.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No it's coaching not confidence, Gerrard hadn't implemented his way of playing then, it was still Smith's shape only with the luxury of having all the players available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indigo said:

1) That United side was turgid

2) The midfielders played in midfield

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes exactly, passing it around like a training session. That and working hard on and off the ball which has been lacking recently. Frustrating knowing we are capable of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

Signed Coutinho and Digne in the next 3 days and all gone downhill since

• Thanks 1

I think the importance of acknowledging that each week, and equally each season, provides a fresh challenge that's never going to unfold as the last did, is significant. 

You can develop a mentality and approach that you want to emulate throughout the course, but there's no guarantees that the preparation will work as intended.

There's many variables as to why it can regress. 

Obviously Gerrard has moved away from the style and freedom our players displayed in the above United game, opting for a more contrived and structured approach, to his detriment in my view, however its yet to be seen if that may pay dividends in future.

Edited by A'Villan

On 14/09/2022 at 13:50, Vive_La_Villa said:

First thing I see is that our transfer business hasn’t been great since we sold Grealish. 

edit. Trez started over Traore.

I'm surprised more isn't made of this.

Â