Pre-match Thread

MrBlack

..........................Martinez........................

Elmo.........Konsa........Mings.........Targett

.........................Nakamba ..........................

Trez.........Luiz............Ramsey.......McGinn 

...........................Watkins............................

I think we need to tweak our set up for Leeds.  We need desire and work rate in the team, players to match the running of Harrison and Rafinha and shut them down. I feel that if we do that for an hour or so then we would have that bit of quality on the bench ready to come on and find a little bit of space later in the game against tiring legs. Nakamba needs to shadow Bamford, annoy him and get under his skin as often as possible. Much of Leeds better stuff goes via Bamford. 

18 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Koch, Rodrigo and Phillips all out while Llorente is just coming back from a season long injury.

Any update on these @Rino8, are any likely to be back? 

Your picture offends me every time I see that bloody shite thing on his head! 

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

If Barkley starts, we lose this one.

I’d drop him too, but when was football ever that simple, Brian? 

Not that I can offer a whole lot more optimism than everyone else, mind. We’re in a slump, and it’ll be harder to turn it around without Jack. That being said, it’s certainly not an automatic loss. If we can figure out our midfield structure (I actually thought there was improvement here yesterday) and our energy levels, and not concede soft goals,we still have enough quality to beat Leeds even without Jack. And, to circle back, I don’t think playing Barkley necessarily nullifies all of that, even if I would prefer either Ramsey or Sanson to start.  

F*** it - Let's press high, loads of energy and beat the dirty words removed 12-7.

Emi

Konsa     Luiz     Mings

Sanson  Nakamba   McGinn   Targett

Ramsey

Traore             Watkins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Energy is massive in this one. To even compete, Barkley has to stay at home. 4-5-1 with Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba, Ramsey and Sanson in midfield !

Nah have him on the bench as Leeds will inevitably tire a bit from hour mark so would be nice to have some decent impact players from the bench which we still really lack. If Barkley can't be motivated being dropped then further reduces the desire to get him here permanently which is pretty low anyway.

There are some real messes of formations being suggested here.

As much as we need energy, I don't think that Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba, Ramsey or Barkley can play as a wider midfielder - Sanson might be able to play on the right at a push, but playing five of those would just end up with a mess in the middle of the park, fullbacks under pressure and a big clump of nothing on the edge of our box.

I think just one change - either Ramsey or Sanson in for Barkley - playing slightly deeper and allowing the whole midfield a bit more freedom as they can cover for each other would be transformative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If Barkley can't be motivated being dropped then further reduces the desire to get him here permanently which is pretty low anyway.

Not sure you could motivate Barkley if you wired his goolies to the national grid !!!

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

F*** it - Let's press high, loads of energy and beat the dirty words removed 12-7.

Emi

Konsa     Luiz     Mings

Sanson  Nakamba   McGinn   Targett

Ramsey

Traore             Watkins

Bielsa is a better coach than Smith so that will never work. Smith's record against Bielsa is 3 losses and 1 draw. So obviously what he has been doing against him ain't working and he need to come up with something different.

We can't beat them at their game. Game at VP proved that.

We need to look at Wolves for inspiration. They did them twice by playing tactics which counters Leeds.

Defend deep. Don't give them any space and hit them on the break. Leeds will be bombing players forward and leave space behind. That's what we have to do.

I don't like it. It is a negative set up but i can't see another way getting a result against them. Especially Grealish being out.

Emi

Elmo       Konsa       Mings      Targett

Nakamba   Luiz

McGinn

Traore               Watkins         Trezeguet 

Subs: Heaton, Kesler, Barkley, El Ghazi, Davis, Engels, Ramsey.      

Barkley has played wide left for Chelsea, not as an out an out winger but just wide off the main striker in a 4321 with him playing as one of the '2',wouldn't be surprised to see us try something similar with him and Traore either side of Watkins. That would allow Sanson or Ramsey to replace him centrally.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Any update on these @Rino8, are any likely to be back? 

Your picture offends me every time I see that bloody shite thing on his head! 

Llorente is a maybe I expect he'll play for the U23's this week but he's had such a tough time with injury he might not be risked so soon.

Will have a better idea with Rodrigo after Tuesdays game, same with Phillips who I think is out for personal reasons (his nan died last week) but I don't expect either to play at all.

If you've no Grealish and were missing all our midfield we could be in for a pretty crap game.