Pre-match Thread

MrBlack

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

Please no Mcginn or Barkley

I think SJM will be o.k in this one. Just give him Sanson and perhaps Ramsey aswell alongside him although I'd still keep Doug in.

Barkley was really poor in the home game, gave away ball so easily for one of the Bamford goals and that was when he was massively in form so will not be a good decision to start him. Have Traore floating off Ollie if needs be.

While it is to be expected, and the progression has been huge, our lack of depth is going to bite us on the ass for the remainder of the season and I'm thankful we have as many points as we do to leave us not worrying about relegation.

If our luck had held out we may have snuck in to a European spot but I think that dream will be dead by the end of March given the injuries and form. Grealish is an obvious loss but Cash is right up there as one of our biggest players with a massive drop in quality in his replacement. Barkley hasn't been good since his return and I think our minimal squad rotation is beginning to hurt - although looking at the quality of the squad you understand Smith's reluctance to use it.

Martinez will give us a chance in a lot of matches (lose him and I'd genuinely be questioning where the points would come from) but I can't see us winning many more games this season without Grealish or Cash.

Some teams we might be able to sneak a win against (WBAs), others we'll be resolute in our defence against and pick up a point but teams that we go at toe to toe will pick us off and destroy us!

I genuinely think Leeds are one of the worst teams we could play at the moment and can see it being embarrassing. If we were playing Man City I'd be more optimistic of a point. Leeds or Wolves at the moment are too fluid and energetic for us but not 'big' enough for us to get our mindset right like we do for the truly top teams.

Could be worse than reverse fixture.

• Like 1

Have to try to keep it 0-0 and stay in the game early doors, work our way into the game by earning the right to play. Interesting to see what gameplan Smith comes up with because he knows we cant just go toe to toe with them after previous encounters. He must know he needs plenty of energy and endeavours for this fixture, surely has to bring in the likes of Nakamba and Sanson/Ramsey. 

I suspect we’ll lose as Leeds will just work a lot harder and deserve it. They create plenty and their style is just something we dont match up to well at all. I remember being 2-0 up at home in the championship and still knew we’d cave, they were relentless even back then. They haven’t changed and showed us up at Villa Park again this season. They can be suspect at the back though and plenty of average sides have beaten them this season so all is not lost but we need a massive shift from a side out of form, to arrest this slump. 

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 2

The only saving grace for us is their form is a bit indifferent, they tend to follow a great result up with a loss or a draw so there's that. They just seem to be all wrong for us. Collectively, we aren't as good as them and we aren't going to be fitter or press better than them in the space of 3 to 4 days. Interestingly, and surprised it was never raised. Smith's last game as Brentford boss was against Bielsa's Leeds. They were flying at the time. Finished 1-1. Watkins scored. He made a big change though prior to ko off included mokotjo to break up and disrupt Leeds in midfield. And it worked. We need to do something. Barkley and Luiz don't have the heart for a game like this .

God I hope the team go into this game with a bit more positivity than the fans.

Yes we may not get anything against Leeds but we are not a one man team. Our defence is good, our forwards are capable of scoring and we do have decent midfielders if DS sets them up properly/makes the right selection. 

Smith said he got the tactics wrong last time so may take a different approach for this game and even if we do get well beat, it doesn’t mean our season is done.  If they have the right mentality and self belief they will still win games. I think it is really important to finish top half to attract the right quality of players in the summer. 

Anyone remember the run in after lockdown, Jack was not in great form but other players stepped up and look how that turned out. This whole one man team thing will become a self fulfilling prophecy if they let it. 

I don’t expect to beat Leeds if I’m honest but I wouldn’t rule it out either.  And even if not in this game, I think it would do the team spirit and confidence the world of good if they get a couple of good results without Jack.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

The only saving grace for us is their form is a bit indifferent, they tend to follow a great result up with a loss or a draw so there's that. 

Just like we have over the last few weeks.

They won their previous game, we lost ours.

Just sayin'.

Edited by Mic09

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Traore replaced him at 1-0 and we conceded 2 more. 

Harrison had also put a number of teasing deliveries that on another day Bamford would have had a double hattrick.

The problem we have is we are too wide  open in midfield. The defense drops deeper and the attack presses high this leave loads of space in between. Leeds movement and workrate will find all those holes just like Leicester, Brighton and Southampton did.

433 or 4231 will struggle. 

I would go 41311 or 4321 with two hardworking 10's so we have more bodies in midfield.

The 41311 would be one 6, three 8's the wide ones supporting the fullbacks in defense and attacking their own flank when the play is on  their side of the pitch. With a 10 getting close to Watkins.  I'd play Trez and Sanson as the wide 8's and Traore as the 10.

Or the 4321 with a 6 two 8's supporting the fullback on their side with two 10's behind Watkins with them taking turns to track back or mark the opposing defensive mid. The two 8's would be Sanson and Mcginn, and the two 10's would from Barkley, Traore and Ramsey. 

We need a hardworking midfield that provide support to the fullbacks. If we line up how we did against Leicester we will need Trez on the right and Sanson in for Barkley, to stand a chance.

Playing Leeds is like facing a swarm of bees. They use their workrate to double up on the opposition both in and out of possession. We need to match them for workrate at the very least. The man on the ball will always need at least 2 players close by to support him, and we will need to double up on their widemen as they both possess good quality.  They way they play will also leave openings so we will have opportunities to get at them.

We absolutely must not play all stretched out over the pitch if we defend deep and have our front 3 very high up pressing we will get slaughtered. We will need to be compact, no need to defend deep, as Mings and Konsa are both capable of keeping up with Bamford, but not suicidal high line either.  

Just thought there is another option for the 433. Play Watkins wide left, his workrate will help protect Targett, Trez the same on the right and Traoré as a false 9 up top.

• Like 4

...........................Martinez...........................

Kessler........Konsa.......Mings........Targett

..........................Nakamba..........................

Trez.........Luiz..........Ramsey.........McGinn

............................Watkins........................ 

4-1-4-1. Let’s go and put in a higher energy midfield display, put out fires higher up the pitch. Let’s fight for a foothold in the game and maybe turn to some goal scoring flair on the bench if we’ve earned that right. I want pace and desire (with a splash of surprise in youth) to give us a bit of a lift in what is a difficult period for us. Kessler and Ramsey won’t disgrace themselves at all. Set them free. 

25 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Leeds are the epitome of a team style that is our kryptonite.

If we play Barkley, and the team displays the general malaise that it has the last few games, they will run over us like a truck.

I’d be really disappointed to see Barkley in the starting eleven this weekend. We have to get back to players playing that have earned the opportunity, performance and not reputation. Barkley has been consistently below par for a number of games, he must sit some out.

Just one other thing. The pitch at Leeds looks like a cabbage patch. I think we should employ a more direct style of play. Watkins is very good at holding the ball up and will get us up the pitch but will need support. 

I'd start with this:

Emi

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

Trez McGinn Sanson Traore

Watkins

If you watched the game last night Leeds struggled with the Southampton press early on. I think that's the way to win this one! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

...........................Martinez...........................

Kessler........Konsa.......Mings........Targett

..........................Nakamba..........................

Trez.........Luiz..........Ramsey.........McGinn

............................Watkins........................ 

4-1-4-1. Let’s go and put in a higher energy midfield display, put out fires higher up the pitch. Let’s fight for a foothold in the game and maybe turn to some goal scoring flair on the bench if we’ve earned that right. I want pace and desire (with a splash of surprise in youth) to give us a bit of a lift in what is a difficult period for us. Kessler and Ramsey won’t disgrace themselves at all. Set them free. 

I wouldn't put McGinn left wing. Sanson is accustomed to that role so I'd go with him and switch Luiz out for McGinn.

You can see how this is going to go. Similar to Brighton and Leicester, we'll pass it around the back five and be forced long when they press us and all of sudden they are coming at us again. I'm absolutely dreading this one, can't see us getting a result and don't think Smith will make enough changes to increase the possibility of us doing so.

I don't think Smith is a great tactician. I do think he is a good student and is always looking to learn, so hopefully he has learnt his lesson. 

Smith needs to be careful now. Without Jack we need to adapt. He did nothing to adapt for the Leicester game, which is not a big deal as he had little time. Now however he has had a week. He needs to come up with something different, otherwise we lose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I wouldn't put McGinn left wing. Sanson is accustomed to that role so I'd go with him and switch Luiz out for McGinn.

I’m pretty certain that Morgan Sanson isn’t accustomed to playing LW. I’ve not really selected McGinn there to play as a winger, for the obvious reason he’s not a winger. I’ve selected him there for his work rate and tenacity to get into the Leeds players on that flank, to team up with Targett and match Leeds work rate. Ditto the opposite flank with Trezeguet and Kessler, I’ve gone with work rate and pace. Also worth noting that these players do still possess qualities, just maybe not the raw talent/flair of a Traore. If we don’t get to grips with Rafinha, Harrison, and Bamford then I feel we’ll lose the game. Our flank pairings have to work hard against the Leeds pairings, it’s a battle that mustn’t be lost. 

19 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m pretty certain that Morgan Sanson isn’t accustomed to playing LW. I’ve not really selected McGinn there to play as a winger, for the obvious reason he’s not a winger. I’ve selected him there for his work rate and tenacity to get into the Leeds players on that flank, to team up with Targett and match Leeds work rate. Ditto the opposite flank with Trezeguet and Kessler, I’ve gone with work rate and pace. Also worth noting that these players do still possess qualities, just maybe not the raw talent/flair of a Traore. If we don’t get to grips with Rafinha, Harrison, and Bamford then I feel we’ll lose the game. Our flank pairings have to work hard against the Leeds pairings, it’s a battle that mustn’t be lost. 

He has been used as both a left and Right midfielder at his previous club and is two footed.