Pre-match Thread

MrBlack

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he'll go back to 4231 again. Must admit I didn't really notice it against Leicester, but that was very much a 433 with McGinn's average position ending up further up than Barkley. Maybe there was a switch at HT or after Barkley went off.

spacer.png

The other reason for 4231 is the right royal rogering we got from Leeds in October which fell into more of a 433 as well, perhaps through us being under pressure on the ball...

spacer.png

I think we'll see two proper sitting midfielders and Ollie will have to bust his gut more than usual as he's going to be isolated.

However, as I'm saying that I just can't see Dean Smith thinking this way. He wants to attack. He wants support for attackers, which is why Barkley keeps playing.

Feck knows what we'll do. Kesler, McGinn, Nakamba, Trez and Sanson would all start for me, Elmo, Luiz, Barkley and El Ghazi dropping out. The added holding midfielder would help out Kesler as well.

Yeah Smith played Barkley and McGinn as 8’s and Luiz as the 6 on Sunday. I don’t think it’s a positional issue, I think it’s the balance of personel. I echo your sentiments on the changes baring Trez. Centre of midfield is a big issue atm. Ironically, it’s a position where we have most squad depth, I think.

We've not been scoring many goals lately and Leeds concede for fun, so it could be an opportunity to get back on the goalscoring trail. Ollie tends to score goals in bunches so I'm very hopeful we might score at least a couple - whether that gets us a win I'm not sure. I'll go for a 2-2 draw.

If Barkley has to play Id be inclined to try him on the left wing.

Emi

Elmo -  Konsa -  Mings - Targett

Nakamba

Douglas   -     Sanson

Traore                              Barkley

Watkins

• Like 2

Martinez

Kessler  Konsa  Mings  Targett

Nakamba

Ramsey  Sanson

Trez                        AEG

Watkins

This is what I'd like to see assuming Jack is still  out. We aren't winning the league, we aren't getting relegated and Europe seems unlikely. Bleed the youth, rest a few regulars.

I'd be looking to play this 11

Martinez

Kesler    Konsa    Mings    Targett

Nakamba   McGinn

Trez               Sanson           Traore

Watkins

We need to start winning these midfield battles, and having Barkley in there means that wont happen right now.

I'm starting Trez and his work rate should give the fullback more protection than with Traore on that side.  I think Targett can handle it.

I've gone with Sanson over Ramsey because i think he offers a bit more physically.

But i fully expect the same starting 11 as at Leicester.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I'd be looking to play this 11

Martinez

Kesler    Konsa    Mings    Targett

Nakamba   McGinn

Trez               Sanson           Traore

Watkins

We need to start winning these midfield battles, and having Barkley in there means that wont happen right now.

I'm starting Trez and his work rate should give the fullback more protection than with Traore on that side.  I think Targett can handle it.

I've gone with Sanson over Ramsey because i think he offers a bit more physically.

But i fully expect the same starting 11 as at Leicester.

Trez started last time against them and was part of the reason Cash was gettin slaughtered by Harrison