Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

Who are the better young players in the championship now? I only know if Olise.

Good list of players to come out of it recently and I’m happy for us to continue recruiting from there.

Would love to bring in Olise and Brooks to replace Barkley/compete for "10" shirt and Sarr to play RW (both Olise and Brooks could cover him as does BT).  I would let Ramsey go out on loan to, hopefully, a top half of the Championship club, and get 30+ games under his belt - lets see if he can develop.

I am hoping that we get rid of Trez - he works his socks off but is so poor.  I was hoping we might get some value for him but he has been so bad in 2021 that it might be hard to get rid of him.  I know he has admirers in Turkey but not sure that they can afford to pay for him, although if they can pay money for Samatta ...? Maybe a championship club.

I would also get rid of AEG and think he might have some value.  He is a Conor Hourihane on the wing - occasional goal contribution but adds nothing else.  He never gets his head up - just wants to come inside and shoot and has become very predictable.  I also think he is soft and never really strikes me as someone you would want to be in the trenches with.  He might do better in a more technical league like Italy??

• Like 2

I'm only basing this off highlights but Kwadwo Baah of Rochdale looks an interesting player, a move to Man City fell through in January, not sure if they're going to go back for him, but I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Kristoffer Ajer Please if we are gonna after Scottish based CB’s. £££££ plus Engels suits all parties in my championship manager tinged view ...

Was linked to Newcastle today. One year left on his deal and Celtic want over 30m apparently!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Saint Maximin could easily start for a few top half teams, remember he was a star player for Nice in France who have been regulars in europe last few years.

I think if he was at Spurs he'd be starting for them every game in that front 3 ahead of Bale. And to me he's a better player than Pepe at Arsenal. Man. United also have an issue still with one of their wide positions so possible he squeezes in there aswell.

Maybe I'm overrated him a bit but he isn't just a speed merchant, he's quite a decent passer who can open up defences.

Interesting by your criteria I'm wondering who you're targeting as that suggests you think we could go after wide player who's a regular at top 6-7 club but I simply can't see it as realistic going for example after Saka who a few have mentioned on here in last few months. And I went wild with Riyad Mahrez but again that's a very remote chance with the wages and him still playing a fair bit at Man. City.

Actually wonder if loan route might be best option to find someone young but a little bit on fringes at CL club who could come in and boost us for a season.

Edit: I see you mentione Leon Bailey, agree with that. Hit double figures in Bundesliga so fits profile of someone who's a bit inconsistant but I doubt Trez or AEG would be getting anywhere near that level for Leverkusen.

Kubo highly rated but he didn't play much at Villareal and not sure how well he's doing at Getafe now. If Real Madrid get in Haaland or Mbappe in near future I reckon one of Vinicius or Rodrygo will be squeezed out on loan so both of those would be ambitious moves that would hugely excite us and get others talking about us.

I wouldn't say no to Saint at Villa as you say he has the ability to open up defenses and anything must be better than what we have at this moment in time anyway from Ghazi and Trezegeut. So yes of course I would take Saint over those two period.

When you look at Maximin and his Injury's I wonder if Villa could perhaps medically be better for him than Newcastle, we do have a much better medical care I'd say than what there club do.. Injury's usually occur with players who get stuck in and Saint certainly does that, he is Technically very good and having him on our right and Grealish on the left paints a very sweet pic indeed.

Sakka or Mahrez, they would be sweet at the club and Sakka can also play as defender as well so he offers a defensive style to his game, not sure Arsenal would sell unless they have no choice but they are slowly slipping.

I like Bailey and like you I doubt Ghazi or Trez put together as a player could even be anything of what Bailey is. Real keep pushing Kubo out on Loan and I'm sure we could at least make something happen there. Would gladly get rid of Ghazi and Trez for Kubo and Bailey anyday, here hoping that Smith is still a fan and Lange goes for them both as I do think they'd give us option as well as improve us up front.

Edited by Dave-R

12 hours ago, Nicho said:

Who are the better young players in the championship now? I only know if Olise.

Good list of players to come out of it recently and I’m happy for us to continue recruiting from there.

There will always be good young players in the Championship and we should never discount it. Smith appears to like a player from that level anyway, which he can improve on.

RB - Aarons is the obvious one but too expensive.  So Bogle could be one to look at? I know not Championship right now but Sheffield may look to offload in the summer if money is an issue. Only cost them a couple of million I believe.

LB - Henry. 

CB - Kelly, Mepham, Soutter, Collins, Fry, to name a few.

MF/WF - Olise, Da Silva, Cook, Mbeumo, Buendia, Cantwell, Sibley, Brooks, Sarr, to name a few. Will Hughes still only 25 and would be useful addition to the squad.

STR - Armstrong, Toney, Campbell, Koroma. I know not Championship but Maja could be worth a look as well.

• Like 1

Derby have got a few highly rated youngsters, Lee Buchanan a left-back is someone we could look at, England U21 international and Derby fans rate him as a better full-back than Bogle or Lowe, he'd probably be more willing to come in as backup than Henry as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Derby have got a few highly rated youngsters, Lee Buchanan a left-back is someone we could look at, England U21 international and Derby fans rate him as a better full-back than Bogle or Lowe, he'd probably be more willing to come in as backup than Henry as well.

Very good suggestion 👍

1 hour ago, useless said:

And probably quite a bit cheaper I would imagine.

14 hours ago, thabucks said:

Kristoffer Ajer Please if we are gonna after Scottish based CB’s. £££££ plus Engels suits all parties in my championship manager tinged view ...

He isnt that good, will be eaten alive in the Premier League 

In Scotland he apparently gets caught on the ball a lot and was destroyed in Europe 

Edited by Zatman

I know there is plenty of talk of all the players that we would like to see arrive this summer etc.

What about players that we think will be leaving/sold/loaned out?

I think that we could possibly see atleast 8 players departing and maybe as many as 10.

Kalanic, Elmohamedy, Taylor, Engels, Hourihane, Barkley, Trezeguet, Vassilev, Samatta, Davis.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I know there is plenty of talk of all the players that we would like to see arrive this summer etc.

I think that we could possibly see atleast 8 players departing and maybe as many as 10.

Kalanic, Elmohamedy, Taylor, Engels, Hourihane, Barkley, Trezeguet, Vassilev, Samatta, Davis.

Heaton might want one last bite at regular first team playing.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sound about right.  I reckon AEG will be available too. 

• Like 1

I think there will be a fair bit of pruning and comings and goings this Summer. A few kids will step up, a few first team squad are clearly not up to it. Plenty of fringe in this team at the moment.

I can see about 7 or 8 of the current first team squad leaving. A few top players coming in as well as a few solid gambles and youngsters stepping up to fill the squad out.

We need a top right winger, a top CAM and a striker to compete with Watkins as a priority. Then full back competition, a centre half and a very mobile defensive mid. So 6 or 7.

• Like 2

A lot will depend on the interest we do or don’t get for our existing players. We will need some to move on in order to free up wages for any new signings. It may mean that there are a couple of shock exits to facilitate some ins. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marvelous, Hause    or maybe even Luis move on. In an ideal world you may want to keep all three but needs must!

I would also cash in on SJM. I don’t think we would in a million years and you can’t help but love the man but he would be a saleable asset which would enable a more rounded midfielder to replace him.

Stumbled across an interesting article  and they were talking about young up and coming full backs - they were talking about rangers but some names to keep an eye on ... https://rangers.vitalfootball.co.uk/rangers-barisic-tavernier-maxwell-patterson/

Latest scouting pod now live on Delighted to be joined by to discuss four full backs that could be a good fit for Rangers: Tymoteusz Puchacz, Josh Doig, Alexander Bah, Junior Sambia Comparisons with Barisic/Tavernjer also attachedhttps://patreon.com/posts/49182790

Josh Doig looks an interesting prospect 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Would probably add Nakamba to that list, two years left on his deal and while he's done fine when he's played this season it still only amounts to 4-5 starts and he'll still be behind likes of Sanson and Ramsey in pecking order so effectively 5th choice for central midfield position.

Would keep El Ghazi for one more year as back up as this season shows he can always have purple patch of form at some point so useful to come in when we get injuries. Spurs game confirmed it all to me that Trez needs to be moved on now.

16 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Would love to bring in Olise and Brooks to replace Barkley/compete for "10" shirt and Sarr to play RW (both Olise and Brooks could cover him as does BT).  I would let Ramsey go out on loan to, hopefully, a top half of the Championship club, and get 30+ games under his belt - lets see if he can develop.

I am hoping that we get rid of Trez - he works his socks off but is so poor.  I was hoping we might get some value for him but he has been so bad in 2021 that it might be hard to get rid of him.  I know he has admirers in Turkey but not sure that they can afford to pay for him, although if they can pay money for Samatta ...? Maybe a championship club.

I would also get rid of AEG and think he might have some value.  He is a Conor Hourihane on the wing - occasional goal contribution but adds nothing else.  He never gets his head up - just wants to come inside and shoot and has become very predictable.  I also think he is soft and never really strikes me as someone you would want to be in the trenches with.  He might do better in a more technical league like Italy??

Yes but replace brooks with someone else.

4 hours ago, useless said:

I always thought Bielik looks like he could be a player. He is big and likes to get stuck in. He also can carry/pass from deep. Doesn’t seem to play every week though so maybe has injury problems?

• Like 1