Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think we can do better than Saint maximin, I do agree though he's miles better than Ghazi and Trez, even if combined both of them he'd still be better.

No offense to them but it's time to move on from Ghazi and Trez or we will never be a decent scoring side having either those on the pitch. 

But I doubt Newcastle would sell him anyway, I think if they were to go down which I do not think they will. They may bounce back up unless they struggle like we did and then I reckon they'd be stuck for years or do a Leeds and it be a decade of champ football. Sometimes a club has to reset themselves when they go through a tough time and it maybe Newcastle's turn to be on rid the fallen from the premier. Just like us we have to reset everything about us and it took a demotion, 20 years of bad football and some crappy managers and crap Owners to find a new Identity in and off the field and a pair of Owners who care about the club.

Saint Maximin could easily start for a few top half teams, remember he was a star player for Nice in France who have been regulars in europe last few years.

I think if he was at Spurs he'd be starting for them every game in that front 3 ahead of Bale. And to me he's a better player than Pepe at Arsenal. Man. United also have an issue still with one of their wide positions so possible he squeezes in there aswell.

Maybe I'm overrated him a bit but he isn't just a speed merchant, he's quite a decent passer who can open up defences.

Interesting by your criteria I'm wondering who you're targeting as that suggests you think we could go after wide player who's a regular at top 6-7 club but I simply can't see it as realistic going for example after Saka who a few have mentioned on here in last few months. And I went wild with Riyad Mahrez but again that's a very remote chance with the wages and him still playing a fair bit at Man. City.

Actually wonder if loan route might be best option to find someone young but a little bit on fringes at CL club who could come in and boost us for a season.

Edit: I see you mentione Leon Bailey, agree with that. Hit double figures in Bundesliga so fits profile of someone who's a bit inconsistant but I doubt Trez or AEG would be getting anywhere near that level for Leverkusen.

Kubo highly rated but he didn't play much at Villareal and not sure how well he's doing at Getafe now. If Real Madrid get in Haaland or Mbappe in near future I reckon one of Vinicius or Rodrygo will be squeezed out on loan so both of those would be ambitious moves that would hugely excite us and get others talking about us.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why so cheap? 

Leipzig aren't going to demand 30-40m as they need him off the books really. Got loads of front 3 players and he's been there a few years so good business sense to move him on for 20m and reinvest.

Think it hinges on whether Fulham stay up or not but again a decent and realistic target we should be all over.

If you watch him though his best play is always off the left so don't think he'd be as good if we played him on the right side.

Something like Lookman and Dan James on season loan for the right hand side woud give us more options at least and should be well within what we can get in this summer.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Leipzig aren't going to demand 30-40m as they need him off the books really. Got loads of front 3 players and he's been there a few years so good business sense to move him on for 20m and reinvest.

Think it hinges on whether Fulham stay up or not but again a decent and realistic target we should be all over.

If you watch him though his best play is always off the left so don't think he'd be as good if we played him on the right side.

Something like Lookman and Dan James on season loan for the right hand side woud give us more options at least and should be well within what we can get in this summer.

Got no problem with lookman if there's a good deal available 

Dan James though I really don't see it, is he that much better than waht we have or is he just faster? I'd hope that with the team and the resources that we have in place we are able to look further and find better 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Got no problem with lookman if there's a good deal available 

Dan James though I really don't see it, is he that much better than waht we have or is he just faster? I'd hope that with the team and the resources that we have in place we are able to look further and find better 

Yeah his final ball isn't great at all but he does score a few goals and would give us more on counter. Thought he'd have been a good pick up for us in summer 2019 tbh as he fitted the profile we looked for that summer.

Think Lingard success at West Ham means we shouldn't just dismiss anyone who's lost their way a little at one of the top 4-5 clubs. I would prefer other targets but think he'd do a decent job for us.

• Like 1

Our next wide player signing should be a level or 2 up from what we have (Grealish excluded) or someone who has potential to become a star-ish in a season or 2. We already have 3 players who "can do a job" but we need someone who forces teams to not just focus on Grealish and who can lead the team on offence when Grealish is not playing.

Not watched any Championship football or enough of Fulham so can't say if Olise or Lookman fits that bill. Olise at least is still young, and Lookman only turn 24 this year so hardly over the hill. But honestly thought he was a couple years younger.

Getting El Ghazi and Trez out the door and getting Olise along with someone who can go straight into the starting 11 would be a great beginning to solve our issues. Traoré can remain as a squad option.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Our next wide player signing should be a level or 2 up from what we have (Grealish excluded) or someone who has potential to become a star-ish in a season or 2. We already have 3 players who "can do a job" but we need someone who forces teams to not just focus on Grealish and who can lead the team on offence when Grealish is not playing.

Not watched any Championship football or enough of Fulham so can't say if Olise or Lookman fits that bill. Olise at least is still young, and Lookman only turn 24 this year so hardly over the hill. But honestly thought he was a couple years younger.

Getting El Ghazi and Trez out the door and getting Olise along with someone who can go straight into the starting 11 would be a great beginning to solve our issues. Traoré can remain as a squad option.

An Olise pick up should be seen as someone whos better than the current back up and might be a star but isn't right now. If we brought him we should be buying a second forward as well.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah his final ball isn't great at all but he does score a few goals and would give us more on counter. Thought he'd have been a good pick up for us in summer 2019 tbh as he fitted the profile we looked for that summer.

Think Lingard success at West Ham means we shouldn't just dismiss anyone who's lost their way a little at one of the top 4-5 clubs. I would prefer other targets but think he'd do a decent job for us.

Yeah agree with that, James could have done a job for us in the last 2 seasons but I'm hoping now we've moved past him and put infrastructure in place to have more up our sleeves 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sne said:

The thing about getting someone in when they're about 23-25 is they should be ready and easy to make an accurate scouting assesment, plus at the beginning of their peak years.  Watkins and Cash settled straight in to Dean's style, as did Mings.  Lookman would be a no brainer if he is less than £20m.  I'd keep El Ghazi anyway, even if he has flaws to his game, when he is hot he contributes a lot.  You could still find space for a wildcard younger player like Olise and coach him as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing about getting someone in when they're about 23-25 is they should be ready and easy to make an accurate scouting assesment, plus at the beginning of their peak years.  Watkins and Cash settled straight in to Dean's style, as did Mings.  Lookman would be a no brainer if he is less than £20m.  I'd keep El Ghazi anyway, even if he has flaws to his game, when he is hot he contributes a lot.  You could still find space for a wildcard younger player like Olise and coach him as well.

Not disagreeing but if we want to challenge the top 6-8 I think we will need better than Lookman or need him to start producing more goals and assists than he has so far in his career. We need a consistent points scorer who also delivers on all other areas as a player. Not seen him play much so can't say if Lookman is a top 6-8 level player. 

I don't imagine we will get rid of Traoré, El Ghazi and Trez so with Lookman & Olise in that would leave little room and money for a real top level wide player in unless Grealish is seen as a ACM or sold.

We certainly need to upgrade our wide options in the summer, either with or without Grealish.

Saka has been mentioned by a few on here and he is clearly a bright prospect. Gettable though, I’m not so sure?

The Sessegnon brothers still interest me a lot. Ryan has been in and out of the spotlight in the last few years but both he and Steven have huge potential. Could be something to look at?

Marcus Edwards could be another worth looking at in the summer. Not sure how he’s doing in Portugal but again highly thought of.

My personal preference but not very gettable unless we really want to splash the cash would be Pedro Neto. Real statement signing and huge potential to be great. Would take an offer in excess of 40m to 50m no doubt but worth it.  So much better than Adama, who appears to have regressed again this season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Saint Maximin could easily start for a few top half teams, remember he was a star player for Nice in France who have been regulars in europe last few years.

I think if he was at Spurs he'd be starting for them every game in that front 3 ahead of Bale. And to me he's a better player than Pepe at Arsenal. Man. United also have an issue still with one of their wide positions so possible he squeezes in there aswell.

Maybe I'm overrated him a bit but he isn't just a speed merchant, he's quite a decent passer who can open up defences.

Interesting by your criteria I'm wondering who you're targeting as that suggests you think we could go after wide player who's a regular at top 6-7 club but I simply can't see it as realistic going for example after Saka who a few have mentioned on here in last few months. And I went wild with Riyad Mahrez but again that's a very remote chance with the wages and him still playing a fair bit at Man. City.

Actually wonder if loan route might be best option to find someone young but a little bit on fringes at CL club who could come in and boost us for a season.

Edit: I see you mentione Leon Bailey, agree with that. Hit double figures in Bundesliga so fits profile of someone who's a bit inconsistant but I doubt Trez or AEG would be getting anywhere near that level for Leverkusen.

Kubo highly rated but he didn't play much at Villareal and not sure how well he's doing at Getafe now. If Real Madrid get in Haaland or Mbappe in near future I reckon one of Vinicius or Rodrygo will be squeezed out on loan so both of those would be ambitious moves that would hugely excite us and get others talking about us.

I'd pick Luca Moura ahead of St Maxim

Who are the better young players in the championship now? I only know if Olise.

Good list of players to come out of it recently and I’m happy for us to continue recruiting from there.

1 minute ago, Nicho said:

Who are the better young players in the championship now? I only know if Olise.

Good list of players to come out of it recently and I’m happy for us to continue recruiting from there.

There is a plethora of talent to be had down in the Championship.

Seeing how Cash, Konsa and Watkins have all turned out to be solid signings then I don't think it will harm us to try and sign another one or two this summer, As long as the price is right.

Well to bring people back down to earth I saw a link today I think from Swedish media to Filip Helander. I wouldnt be fond of that signing

If looking for a back up maybe go to West Brom for Dara O'Shea, he is young and comfortable on the ball and a player Smith and JT probably could work with. I have only seen twice for Ireland so not seen too much

Edited by Zatman

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well to bring people back down to earth I saw a link today I think from Swedish media to Filip Helander. I wouldnt be fond of that signing

If looking for a back up maybe go to West Brom for Dara O'Shea, he is young and comfortable on the ball and a player Smith and JT probably could work with. I have only seen twice for Ireland so not seen too much

We need another centre half in the squad to be fair. Engles is probably leaving.

Kristoffer Ajer Please if we are gonna after Scottish based CB’s. £££££ plus Engels suits all parties in my championship manager tinged view ...

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1