Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough. There’s other players at the managers  disposal that can play in midfield if he chooses to use them.  

Maybe not the defensive midfielder you’d like to see but they’re are still midfielders.

I appreciate you are talking about first team in terms of where we need the most improvement but I’d still be amazed if another striker as competition/backup for Olly wasnt top of the list. 

You have sat on the problem....."we have other midfielders, but not the ones you like"

You cannot formulate a midfield with players that are all similar and expect to get balance.....I am frustrated with the balance, not the individual players....They are all ok....but the midfield in the main has ingredients that are lacking in execution.

There is an old saying in cricket...." you can change the bowler, but that does not mean you change the bowling necessarily".....meaning both bowlers are too similar......you take off a pace bowler and replace with a spinner, thats changing the bowling.

We do not have a quality CDM in the true sense of the word, on our books, Nakamba is probably closest, but not quite good enough.....We need to fix that in the summer.....as and E.G Des Bremner, Gordon Cowans and Dennis Mortimer, were all different, they had different qualities to form the blend or balance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

VLV I respect your opinions, I really do despite our ding dongs....and although we both  make points, the problems are rarely just singular.

I know I labour the point of the central 2 and sure its not just them alone, I accept that.....but every bit of improvement helps.

Read this, if you haven't already and the next time you watch us, tell me where we are doing those things?....

https://medium.com/@aniketsrivastava81/explaining-the-role-of-a-cdm-central-defensive-midfielder-90843b8b4315#:~:text=They are capable of performing,as to nullify opposition threats.

I read it. It speaks about different types of Defensive midfielders and then names some of the best in history.  There’s always room for improvement I admit. Just don’t think it’s the fundamental issue you think it is. We’ll have to agree to disagree Tro. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I read it. It speaks about different types of Defensive midfielders and then names some of the best in history.  There’s always room for improvement I admit. Just don’t think it’s the fundamental issue you think it is. We’ll have to agree to disagree Tro. 

fine...but the crux of the issue is clear to me.

He names some of the best, so folk can understand, where he is coming from, surely we can comprehend that.

I will ask you point blank.....who in midfield wins the ball for us, right now?....don't say Matty cash, but he does....and he is a full back.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, TRO said:

He names some of the best, so folk can understand, where he is coming from, surely we can comprehend that.

I will ask you point blank.....who in midfield wins the ball for us, right now?....don't say Matty cash, but he does....and he is a full back.

The issue is totally exacerbated by who is playing at 10

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I admit it’s hard to answer that. Although we do have Nakamba and have yet to really see Sanson. So can’t say the manager doesn’t have options. 

It looks like we are linked to Sander Berge. Would you like to see him? 

He won’t be cheap though.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It looks like we are linked to Sander Berge. Would you like to see him? 

He won’t be cheap though.

Quick view from Sheff U fans on him is that he struggled with the intensity of the PL.

Clearly a classy player who I'd like here but they never felt he gave them the buzz that Fleck, Lundstram and even Norwood did when they were flying high.

I don't think it would see us improve immediately switching Doug out with him. We'd also have to make sure he's over whatever injury he had. Really freak, unfortunate injury.

“He’s gone to block a ball and the force of the clearance has caught him on the end of his toe. It’s affected all his hamstring and it’s pulled the tendon off the bone."

• Like 1

A lot of Sheffield United fans don't seem to rate Berge and feel that their downturn in form coincided with him coming into the team. Whether that's fair I don't know but from looking at their forum it's more than one or two of them with that opinion from what I've seen. I feel like if we're going to move up a level next season, then perhaps we should be going for players that are better than not even being rated by the fans of one of the worst teams ever in the league.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd like to see Villa 'try' and step away from signing easy targets like those who are potentially going to be relegated.

Sooner or later we need to be trying to sign players who are already currently successful rather than those like Berge and Trossard who are used to struggling.

I agree in principle and think we should 100% be looking for quality all over the world, but there are some good players to be had from relegated or relegation threatened teams. (even if only mid table squad players at least)

Just some examples (for teams relegated or threatened with relegation within the last 18/24 months):

Aston Villa - Jack Grealish, Konsa, Luiz, Targett, Mings, McGinn (from last years squad).

Newcastle - Maxim.

Fulham - Lookman.

West Brom - Diangana. (borderline)

Sheffield United - Berge.

Burnley - Pope, McNeil.

Brighton - White, Lamptey, Mac Allister, Trossard.

Norwich - Buendia, Aarons.

Watford - Sarr (although i dont rate Sarr personally), Pedro, Hughes.

Bournemouth - Brooks.

So yeah, i agree we should be looking far and wide for the best possible talent, but there is quality to be had at home as well, even from teams towards the bottom of the league.

• Like 1

These are just a few opinions from Sheffield United fans on Berge, from searching his name on their forum, of course there are some positive views too, but also other ones similar to the below.

'Personally think Berge joining has been the catalyst for this downward spiral. You can chart the demise of Norwood and Lundstram to the day he walked through the door'

'Much better fist half with Norwood as berge is too predictable'

'What the hell does Berge exactly do during a match!!!! Ffs he’s the most idle, unaccomplished, waste of space, in a Utd shirt I have seen in all my years!!'

'If selling Berge meant we aren’t under pressure to sell O’Connell, Egan or Bogle then I’m not too fussed.'

'Backpass Berge is ruining Norwoods reputation and movement in midfield! It’s Berge who’s nowhere near fit and not up to the job Norwood was doing for us last season! Berge needs dropping now'

'Wilders biggest mistake was breaking the midfield up to shoehorn Berge in. We are only just starting to play again with the 3 midfielders. Not having a go at Berge ,I just dont think his style of play is suited to our style or the English game.'

'Not sure how serious coin will be coming in for Berge. I can't see how we'd get our money back And a loss isn't serious coin.'

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Some interesting names to keep an eye on - https://footballwhispers.com/blog/the-next-generation-of-european-superstars/

Also how about a cheeky €75mill bid for Sancho (lolz) ... 

Luca netz apparently turned down an offer from bayern to sign a new deal at hertha but he would have been a good (expensive) young promising back up to Targett to develop 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Luca netz apparently turned down an offer from bayern to sign a new deal at hertha but he would have been a good (expensive) young promising back up to Targett to develop 

I’d like us to sign Odin Thiago Holm just for the name ... ( and also sounds like a great prospect) 🤬 shame Brexit has made targeting these kids harder . 

On 23/02/2021 at 16:03, Zatman said:

He be brilliant but as I said before, we would need another ball playing him and Jack together 😂

If he is the quality of player we are looking to sign we really have hit rock bottom (Rodrigo De Paul) 

Edited by Follyfoot

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I had to google that one so you’ve made me feel young. Cheers mate :)

For someone so childish I struggle to believe how old I am some times. I believe it was our Eurovision entry in 1977. Used to have some very deep feelings for Ms De Paul at the time 

• Haha 2