Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m surprised  people think Midfield is the priority when we currently have one adequate centre forward in the whole squad.  Anything happens to Olli we are really screwed.

I think we are talking first team, not necessarily back up.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Until we get a 6'5 midfielder some people will be constantly moaning that we don't have someone to win the fictional aerial battles at the base of our midfield.

Sam, you are pedaling a false narrative on here of a midfielder type some of us want....you poke fun at the big neanderthal, you think folk are looking for...its false.

Read this and you might understand what is being sought.......https://medium.com/@aniketsrivastava81/explaining-the-role-of-a-cdm-central-defensive-midfielder-90843b8b4315#:~:text=They are capable of performing,as to nullify opposition threats.

That explains the role perfectly and is different to other types of Midfielder, their stature is usually built for the more arduous tasks, they can be tall or they can be more modest in height....but their attributes are clear and well explained in this article.

If you have mis understood my point fair enough.....this guy explains it to my satisfaction....thats my view of a "General"

lets hope he explains the role of the CDM to suit your view.

conclusion....If we signed a good one of these in the summer, I believe it would transform us....and furthermore and as equally important, would improve our other players in to the bargain.

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are talking first team, not necessarily back up.

Fair enough. Still don’t think it’s as pressing as some people do, especially as we’ve just bought Sanson. Bigger problem for me is when our attacking midfielder stands up front and leaves it 2 in the middle against 3 or 4.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sam, you are pedaling a false narrative on here of a midfielder type some of us want....you poke fun at the big neanderthal, you think folk are looking for...its false.

Read this and you might understand what is being sought.......https://medium.com/@aniketsrivastava81/explaining-the-role-of-a-cdm-central-defensive-midfielder-90843b8b4315#:~:text=They are capable of performing,as to nullify opposition threats.

That explains the role perfectly and is different to other types of Midfielder, their stature is usually built for the more arduous tasks, they can be tall or they can be more modest in height....but their attributes are clear and well explained in this article.

If you have mis understood my point fair enough.....this guy explains it to my satisfaction....thats my view of a "General"

conclusion....If we signed a good one of these in the summer, I believe it would transform us....and furthermore and as equally important, would improve our other players in to the bargain.

Give us a name TRO, who fits the bill and is possibly getable.

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Give us a name TRO, who fits the bill and is possibly getable.

Phil....I'm not a scout, I am a spectator....thats not being clever, I simply don't know....I can quote all the players who are the best in the world,past and present...but that might not be realistic in terms of signing them.....I Iike Ndidi & Bissouma, I like Soucek too....I don't watch enough European football to know and I don't play Football manager.

What my points is....its the jobs that these guys do, thats important.....the faces to get, is a scouts job.

I watch the games and I think I know whats wrong....particularly in the games we fail to secure any Initiative....there have been games where we have won and the problem is not quite so noticeable...against certain opposition, it is.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am being slightly facetious.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough. Still don’t think it’s as pressing as some people do, especially as we’ve just bought Sanson. Bigger problem for me is when our attacking midfielder stands up front and leaves it 2 in the middle against 3 or 4.

VLV not all midfielders have the same attributes.....Sanson is more of a 8, is my understanding.

Yeah, I take your point.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I am being slightly facetious.

Thanks Sam....contrastingly, I was trying to be helpful and serious.

We all have our views....I just thought this guy explained it better than me...is all.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Phil....I'm not a scout, I am a spectator....thats not being clever, I simply don't know....I can quote all the players who are the best in the world,past and present...but that might not be realistic in terms of signing them.....I Iike Ndidi & Bissouma, I like Soucek too....I don't watch enough European football to know and I don't play Football manager.

What my points is....its the jobs that these guys do, thats important.....the faces to get, is a scouts job.

I watch the games and I think I know whats wrong....particularly in the games we fail to secure any Initiative....there have been games where we have won and the problem is not quite so noticeable...against certain opposition, it is.

I like him, looks the part and you are bang on, let the pro's do their job, fun to speculate though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

VLV not all midfielders have the same attributes.....Sanson is more of a 8, is my understanding.

Yeah, I take your point.

Fair enough but even if he we got the defensive midfielder you’d like to see. He’ll still be outnumbered against 3 or 4. I think we’ll have the same problem again if Barkley starts. 

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but even if he we got the defensive midfielder you’d like to see. He’ll still be outnumbered against 3 or 4. I think we’ll have the same problem again if Barkley starts. 

You could say that about any player....its fine increments of improvement...I just happen to think our midfield is too samey or has been too samey...that does not mean they are bad players, but the balance is not quite right.....so certain jobs are being missed or overlooked.

its immaterial, who is playing where and how much we like the player or have invested our favour in them.....when you see a game and the things that need doing are not being done, you have to question the players responsible...if we haven't got the players to change it....then we need to look at it, in the next window.

If you are a defender, you have to defend, if you are an attacker, you have to attack....it might sound obvious, but it is.....they have to do their designated jobs.

If during a game, we are not winning the ball, irrespective HOW we do it, then we can't attack.....some players have to be responsible for that action.....if like the other night, no one could pass it, they have to be responsible for that, too.....crikey, even the goal keeper was chomping to spit it out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

So I have just watched a football daily video on Everton’s spending under their new owners, it came up with a table of the teams with the highest net spend on players over the past five seasons over the top five European leagues and we are tenth!

Man City -563

Man Utd -498

PSG - 335

Barcelona -334

Inter Milan -317

Arsenal -307

AC Milan -264

Chelsea -264

Everton -256

Aston Villa -252

39 minutes ago, paul514 said:

So I have just watched a football daily video on Everton’s spending under their new owners, it came up with a table of the teams with the highest net spend on players over the past five seasons over the top five European leagues and we are tenth!

Man City -563

Man Utd -498

PSG - 335

Barcelona -334

Inter Milan -317

Arsenal -307

AC Milan -264

Chelsea -264

Everton -256

Aston Villa -252

looks worse for us than it is though, we spent 100m of those on mostly stupid buys in our championship years, in the failed attempt to get back up asap.

So ye, we might be 10th on the list there, but we havent spent 250m on supposed top league capable players.

On the other hand, Maure spending 500m net, Arsenal 300m net etc, shows how poor their PL purchases have been overall.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

looks worse for us than it is though, we spent 100m of those on mostly stupid buys in our championship years, in the failed attempt to get back up asap.

So ye, we might be 10th on the list there, but we havent spent 250m on supposed top league capable players.

On the other hand, Maure spending 500m net, Arsenal 300m net etc, shows how poor their PL purchases have been overall.

Completely agree but it would be mouth watering if we continued the net spend whilst bringing in decent fees, it puts you right up there in world football.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I’d love Lookman. Not sure how much Leipzig would want for him, but his ball retention is great.

Lookman would be a very good option, I've suggested him a few times over the years.

RB had him transfer listed last season before his loan move to Fulham.

I think if they recoup some of the £16m they paid Everton a few years ago they would probably be happy to let him go.

• Like 1

The mythical midfield enforcer we are missing I was watching the championship highlights and Billing is still at Bournemouth could lighting strike twice like with Tyrone and we turn him into a top player!?

Pretty likely that at least one of the teams relegated will have one of these midfield enforcers/ball winners/tall guys who ticks at least some of the boxes and might be for sale if they go down.

Sheffield U have Sander Berge, Fulham have Anguissa, Brighton have Bissouma.

West Brom and Newcastle have f all in CM

51 minutes ago, sne said:

Pretty likely that at least one of the teams relegated will have one of these midfield enforcers/ball winners/tall guys who ticks at least some of the boxes and might be for sale if they go down.

Sheffield U have Sander Berge, Fulham have Anguissa, Brighton have Bissouma.

West Brom and Newcastle have f all in CM

Jake Livermore, Jeff Hendrick? No?

Image result for john travolta gif looking around

FWIW, the 3 above are all very very good players and I would take any of them.

• Haha 1