Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Believe it or not, I believe JWP at that fee is too old for our structure. 

A 60million fee and a 5 year contract would take him to 31, therefore no resale value. We are not commercially mature to be signing players for 60 million, plus 100k+ wages with no resale value. 

• Like 1

I think Ward Prowse is useful for set piece deliveries and free kicks (Grealish wins a lot on the edge of the area when he's fit), but would cost an awful lot and I don't think he's all that great in his general gameplay. Plus he's a short arse and we already don't have enough height in midfield. Plus he'd cost a fortune.

Also why I can't for the life of me understand the links with McNeil, who I not only think isn't actually that good but would also cost an awful lot of money. Someone like Neto would be good but again would be costly and Wolves wouldn't wish to sell to us.

The Prem (and even the Championship now) may be slightly lower risk but is very overpriced. Still think there's lots of value to be found overseas, even in the so-called lesser leagues like Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Portugal. Obviously need to be looking at the best players in those leagues (or best young players) but we'll still pay less for them than an established, average PL player I think. 

I'd imagine we'll be scouting players at Euro 2021 too as a lot of players there will be playing in those European leagues. 

It's ok to say signing PL proven players is 'a tired and outdated' model but as yet under Smith we haven't actually really done it.

Ok maybe Barkley was supposed to be that player but it hasn't worked out, however the writing was already on the wall with him had we listened to Everton and Chelsea fans before.

For the third time Ward-Prowse or someone like him is my drift, Phillips, Ndombele are others mentioned. I'd like us to take a player or two from PL rival and also continue the model of signing young players like Cash, Konsa to develop. Someone like Olise for example.

Yes I'm aware players for English players or PL players are inflated but there's a reason: because they know the league we are in.

Sooner or later we have to act in accordance with our intentions and money unfortunately is the way it works.

I saw a frightening list of how much Guardiola had spent on defensive players alone.

We can have delusions of doing it the Villa (Lange) way and continue to sign the players for developing and 'under the radar' types but I seriously believe we have to commit on one or two big guns along the way too.

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's ok to say signing PL proven players is 'a tired and outdated' model but as yet under Smith we haven't actually really done it.

Ok maybe Barkley was supposed to be that player but it hasn't worked out, however the writing was already on the wall with him had we listened to Everton and Chelsea fans before.

For the third time Ward-Prowse or someone like him is my drift, Phillips, Ndombele are others mentioned. I'd like us to take a player or two from PL rival and also continue the model of signing young players like Cash, Konsa to develop. Someone like Olise for example.

Yes I'm aware players for English players or PL players are inflated but there's a reason: because they know the league we are in.

Sooner or later we have to act in accordance with our intentions and money unfortunately is the way it works.

I saw a frightening list of how much Guardiola had spent on defensive players alone.

We can have delusions of doing it the Villa (Lange) way and continue to sign the players for developing and 'under the radar' types but I seriously believe we have to commit on one or two big guns along the way too.

Well let’s get the big guns from abroad, similar to the way the most successful teams have done so in the past. There are better and better value players out there than many of those in the PL.

Would you seriously take 60m and spend it on JWP rather than an outstanding talent such as Oyarzabal (who I think is unattainable but a similar player should be targeted) or the top talents from Spain, Germany & Italy?

We don’t need to spend like crazy anyway, we don’t need to spend massive fees on individual players and pay exorbitant wages from the off. You can still get excellent  players with high potential for 20-40m if you can scout and research & identify the right targets well.

I would much rather spend less on a Buendia or De Paul than bloody JWP!!!

Most of our players know the league well by now and our recent signings have adapted well (Watkins & Cash) & quickly. We have plenty of British players too.

We need talent and ability not (just) experience right now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Believe it or not, I believe JWP at that fee is too old for our structure. 

A 60million fee and a 5 year contract would take him to 31, therefore no resale value. We are not commercially mature to be signing players for 60 million, plus 100k+ wages with no resale value. 

60 million for JWP would be pure insanity.

Why spend a massive fee on a Ndombele when you could probably get better and definitely way cheaper from abroad ie the French League? 

Once players reach the PL & sign for a top 6 club, they rarely want to take a self perceived step down either. They are already on massive wages too.

Knowing the league is certainly an overrated and overstated statement.

It’s clear we all admire Leicester’s recruitment. In the last three seasons, apart from Ayoze Perez and Danny Ward, all of their signings have been from English lower leagues or abroad. 

We don’t need to sign proven Premier League players to evolve, in fact it would be more beneficial to avoid the Premier League market, and get better value for money in Europe. 

Fofana, Tielemans - Ligue 1. Castagne - Serie A. Ricardo Pereira - Liga NOS. Soyoncu - Bundesliga. Maddison, Justin, Evans - English lower leagues. 

• Like 3

Don’t think I’m alone in this, but genuinely excited about this summer. No idea who we might actually sign, but I expect us as fans to be as surprised as we are happy when it’s over. Also have no fears about us losing Jack anytime soon either. /pointless post. 

• Like 2

Central midfield is where it's all at. I also noticed that Wan Bissaka and Luke Shaw had 90% passing accuracy. Our full backs were in the 70's. With better Central midfielders we'll see Cash n Targett improve their passing. 

Better ball dominating central midfielders will create better angles , options, space to receive the ball. Those two Thuram and Kamara will give us instantly a solid platform from which to play.

Edit - I'd like to see us get one player in any position who can teach our current squad the art of shithousery.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

The last two games illustrated everything IMO. Against Everton, Barkley was on it, against Man Utd he was poor. The difference between having a CAM who does his job and not is huge. I think Luiz is and Sanson will be good enough to start, but they need a player in front of them putting in a shift consistently. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

It’s clear we all admire Leicester’s recruitment. In the last three seasons, apart from Ayoze Perez and Danny Ward, all of their signings have been from English lower leagues or abroad. 

We don’t need to sign proven Premier League players to evolve, in fact it would be more beneficial to avoid the Premier League market, and get better value for money in Europe. 

Fofana, Tielemans - Ligue 1. Castagne - Serie A. Ricardo Pereira - Liga NOS. Soyoncu - Bundesliga. Maddison, Justin, Evans - English lower leagues. 

That's the next step up for us really...Ricardo Periera had a really good world cup 2018 IIRC and was regular for Porto in CL for many years, Soyuncu regular for mid table Bundesliga team and had likes of Arsenal looking at him before Leicester got him in, Castagne a regular for top 4 Serie A team and Evans was actually a premier league regular when Leicester signed him aged 30.

Tielemans also highly rated young player although it didn't quite work out at Monaco and Leicester took full advantage of that.

We're not quite shopping with that calibre yet, hopefully in next two years.

A comment on Koopmeiners - not an opinion as I've never seen him play. 

He looks a bit like a Matic type to me which is no bad thing but as others have said how would he cope with the step up to PL standard. He looks to have very good ability on the ball so less of a worry there. The main thing is he athletic enough to have the same (or similar) defensive impact in PL? As we've seen with Conor you can have decent ability on the ball but then you get to the Prem and can't get within 5 yards of making a tackle in 6 months. That speed over 5 yards is so crucial these days. 

I have no idea if Koopmeiners has that or not. 

See I'm not fussed if we get a cam or not. Our central 3 just need to lay a base for everyone else to play and keep the blessed ball better. That's where the wide players come in and be like hybrid wingers and play makers. We've got one of the best in the world on side it's the other side where we should improve.. although I do expect Traore to get better next season.

11 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'd like to see us get one player in any position who can teach our current squad the art of shithousery.

image.png.fb148fc05bbeeb8b94bf92911b7df40d.png

Sir, I give you the king of shithousery, current out of contract. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steero113 said:

image.png.fb148fc05bbeeb8b94bf92911b7df40d.png

Sir, I give you the king of shithousery, current out of contract. 

I suggested him for the current season on a half a season contract. If he wasn't made out of wet tissues I'd have him for next season. The obvious one was Mandzukic who rejected us earlier this season. It's the benefits of their experience to Ollie, Davis and Wesley I'm looking at.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

See I'm not fussed if we get a cam or not. Our central 3 just need to lay a base for everyone else to play and keep the blessed ball better. That's where the wide players come in and be like hybrid wingers and play makers. We've got one of the best in the world on side it's the other side where we should improve.. although I do expect Traore to get better next season.

It's a far more effective strategy to play through all channels than just the wings. Without a CAM, we don't attack through the middle and are much easier to defend against - Jack can paper over those cracks a little, but you need a multifaceted attack. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villaglint said:

A comment on Koopmeiners - not an opinion as I've never seen him play. 

He looks a bit like a Matic type to me which is no bad thing but as others have said how would he cope with the step up to PL standard. He looks to have very good ability on the ball so less of a worry there. The main thing is he athletic enough to have the same (or similar) defensive impact in PL? As we've seen with Conor you can have decent ability on the ball but then you get to the Prem and can't get within 5 yards of making a tackle in 6 months. That speed over 5 yards is so crucial these days. 

I have no idea if Koopmeiners has that or not. 

I'd honestly go a bit more on a proven midfield player personally rather than another project....as it is I'm not certain we'll even get another midfield in this summer given we have already 4-5 options for just 2 spots if Jack plays more central next season.

So like a few positions I'd rather have a real difference maker in there.

Said it before but Milenkovic Savic has been linked to loads of top clubs but no one has taken him. Lazio going to miss out on top 4 so financially will be a big blow to them in these times.

He's just turned 26, 6ft 3, regularly hits double figures in Serie A and can play as attacking midfielder or slightly deeper as McGinn type. If people are looking for Soucek type to me he's ideal if you want to spend 40-50m on a CM and sort who would push us into top 6 bracket of clubs. Overall 40 goals in just under 200 games for them. Norway fans will also know of him from this season.😉

West Ham signed Felipe Anderson from Lazio about 3 years ago for 40m so you can get those type of players out of clubs even if he flopped a bit and they had to loan him out.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2