Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12108239/ross-barkley-aston-villa-boss-dean-smith-promised-chelsea-midfielder-spot-at-euro-2020-with-england

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith told Ross Barkley he would get him into England's squad for next summer's European Championships and the on-loan Chelsea midfielder has set about proving his new boss right.

Barkley, who turns 27 in December, has not featured for Gareth Southgate's squad for more than a year since scoring twice in the 6-0 win over Bulgaria.

Pretty sure it was common knowledge the Ross to Euro2020 chatter. 

If the discussion was along the lines of come here and give it your all and you'll have a much better chance of getting into the England setup than if you rot away on the bench at Chelsea then I see little issue with it.

If Smith personally guarantied to get him into the England team regardless if Barkley broke covid protocol, got Covid, got injured, and downed tools then I agree Smith promised too much and shame on him. 

The quotes in that article “I sold him the project here and told him I’ll get him in the Euros squad", aren't actually what Smith said.

What he said was “I sold him the project here and I'd try and help him get into that Euro squad".

There's a video interview on this teamtalk page with Smith which is where the misquote has been taken from, you can hear what he actually says about a minute in.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

No idea who we will be getting but there will be loads of the usual speculation and hopefully please let us have another Rachica type frenzy thread, absolute mayhem please.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Would Houssem Auoar be a good target? Arsenal linked again - but who gives a shit about them nowadays? - for a reduced fee.

Looks like there are a few decent deals that can be done for Ligue 1 players.

I know that London always appeals to foreign players but I would argue we are a much better attraction - no turmoil, no unrest, we are ascending as they are descending, in better shape financially, etc. etc.

I think we can at least attempt to battle the likes of Arsenal and Spurs for players now and sell our project to them...

Their good days are over, it’s time for Villa to rise like a Phoenix and firmly established ourselves as a top half team competing for Europe.

I want Milinkovic-Savic now 🤣

Football finance expert Kieran Maguire has outlined why Aston Villa will have 'more money' for transfers this summer.

The coronavirus pandemic has forced some clubs to borrow money from private companies, with interest to be paid back, but Villa have not needed to follow their path.

NSWE injected another £10m into the club at the end of April, taking the total since September to £97m. 

Maguire, who presents the Price of Football podcast, has explained why that means Villa will have more cash available to them for the summer than some of their opponents in the market.

Speaking to website Football Insider, Maguire said: "This is part of their overall investment strategy in Villa. 

"The good news is they are not going down the route of other clubs in terms of taking out massive loans.

"They have not borrowed from banks or niche lenders.

"Every £1m you put in terms of shares means there is no interest being paid because Villa are never going to pay a dividend, realistically.

"That means it is additional investment at no financial cost, meaning there is more money to go into the playing budget and transfers.

"They are debt-free too."

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really want a signing where people stand up and say, ‘wow’. Not a Watkins type signing (albeit he is brilliant), a Soumare, Aouar, Fekir type signing. Somebody that has been courted or linked with the top clubs but ends up at Villa.

I still has to Google them! That’s more a reflection on me than the ability of the players. 😀

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

Fully on board the Koopmeiners train now after spending the afternoon researching him. Him, De Paul and Buendia would be lovely. Thanks Dean. 

That would be a fantastic trio of signings.

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I want people at airports, on flight scanning websites, bogus reporting, twitter drama, people getting locked in basements and false sightings of loosely similar lookalikes. 

I want it all. 

About the planes......

cid78137__PZ22744.jpg

• Like 1

This would be excellent:

Koopmeiners

Sanson        De Paul

Buendia                                Grealish

Watkins 

Luiz, Traore & McGinn - great options off the bench/rotation.

The main reason I’m putting Sanson in is because he is our most recent signing and must have been viewed  as a viable option to start in our midfield. Much will be expected of him next season.

This would be out of this world (dreamland):

Koopmeiners    Milinkovic-Savic 

Grealish

Buendia                                  Oyarzabal 

Watkins

No one would mess with us 🤣

55 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really want a signing where people stand up and say, ‘wow’. Not a Watkins type signing (albeit he is brilliant), a Soumare, Aouar, Fekir type signing. Somebody that has been courted or linked with the top clubs but ends up at Villa. 

I agree entirely with the principle of this, but other than in this thread and one gossip bit on the BBC about Soumare, I've never heard of any of those players and wouldn't be excited by them on 'name'. I suspect they're all excellent players, but "Wow" is not the reaction that I (or I suspect most people) would start with!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This would be excellent:

Koopmeiners

Sanson        De Paul

Watkins 

The main reason I’m putting Sanson in is because he is our most recent signing and must have been viewed  as a viable option to start in our midfield. Much will be expected of him next season.

Grealish

Watkins

Who could forget the transfer window under O’Leary when we waited for the entire January window for much needed reinforcements and right at the end we signed....... Eric Djemba Djemba. A player so bad they named him twice. DOL probably thought he was signing more than one player so he could refer to his signing(s) as being a good honest bunch of lads. 

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This would be excellent:

Koopmeiners

Sanson        De Paul

Watkins 

Grealish

Watkins

Buendia would cost as much as Bailey if we are going to sign a RW give me the really rapid guy who has ~30 goal contribution in ~45 games this year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Who could forget the transfer window under O’Leary when we waited for the entire January window for much needed reinforcements and right at the end we signed....... Eric Djemba Djemba. A player so bad they named him twice. DOL probably thought he was signing more than one player so he could refer to his signing(s) as being a good honest bunch of lads. 

Yeah, we’ve had a heap of exceptionally poor signings over the years...

Weird how things work out, hard to deny that eventually getting relegated and “starting again” was just what we needed. But we were still wasting money and languishing in the Championship until Deano and the new owners came in.

We’ve tolerated crap managers, crap owners and crap players for a long time. Times have changed for the better now, we’ve been improving season upon season and should be able to enjoy further success, better players and better football.

• Like 1