Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Players are aware in the main of what they are joining......Jack and JT will be an obvious attraction.

Just asking a question, would Deans lower profile, be a hinderance to that......Not a loaded question, just interested in the response.

That's the worry, he's yet to really bring in a wow signing and obviously has a lower profile to the likes of Bielsa and Ancelotti. Having said that, Barkley on loan was quite a coup last summer - one that has of course not worked out the way we wanted - though I think Jack played a major part in getting Barkley to sign.

Dean will be all too aware that the players he's bringing in now have to be at a higher level. I think the main influences will be Lange and MacKenzie but of course players will want to play for the manager too.

We finished 17th last summer so it was harder to bring in that higher, more proven profile of player, even though the likes of Ollie and Emi have beenreally good signings for us. This summer will be different given that we're finishing midtable and we've been right up there for over half the season - that's why I'm intrigued with who we bring in.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This will get you frothing at the mouth TRO....sorry if it's not as good as Tonev highlights reel though!

He'd certainly be a marquee signing. Remember there was a lot of hype about him going into the World Cup a few years ago, though he didn't quite live up to expectations. He'd certainly transform our team - think he's a box to box midfielder so would be useful at both ends of the pitch.

10 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That's the worry, he's yet to really bring in a wow signing and obviously has a lower profile to the likes of Bielsa and Ancelotti. Having said that, Barkley on loan was quite a coup last summer - one that has of course not worked out the way we wanted - though I think Jack played a major part in getting Barkley to sign.

Dean will be all too aware that the players he's bringing in now have to be at a higher level. I think the main influences will be Lange and MacKenzie but of course players will want to play for the manager too.

We finished 17th last summer so it was harder to bring in that higher, more proven profile of player, even though the likes of Ollie and Emi have beenreally good signings for us. This summer will be different given that we're finishing midtable and we've been right up there for over half the season - that's why I'm intrigued with who we bring in.

The things is Dean dived in with Ross, telling him he would get him in the England team (allegedly)...That has not materialised and could leave egg on Deans face, even though it's probably not his fault.

I hope its doesn't dissuade good players from coming.

Wesley, Luiz, Watkins, Grealish, and Mings have all won their first international caps whilst playing under Smith, with Konsa, Targett and Cash also being suggested as possibilites for future England caps. It's not his fault that Barkley's form has dropped, that's just one player, was always going to be unlikely he'd get back into the England team anyway, because the 'no.10' role is the one position where England have a lot of talent.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I want people at airports, on flight scanning websites, bogus reporting, twitter drama, people getting locked in basements and false sightings of loosely similar lookalikes. 

I want it all. 

Fc Barcelona Smile GIF by sportseditorHappy Premier League GIF by Prime VideoReal Madrid Football GIF

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

The things is Dean dived in with Ross, telling him he would get him in the England team (allegedly)...That has not materialised and could leave egg on Deans face, even though it's probably not his fault.

Where is this coming from?

And more importantly how could Dean have gotten him into the England team? He doesn't have any role there? We have a couple of players now who has managed to get themselves into the England set up while here under Smith. Barkley has gotten more chances than he deserves and has looked decidedly disinterested at putting effort in.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it’ll do the opposite, it’ll show players that Dean is committed to his promises even beyond reasonable.  He gave Ross every chance to succeed even when Ross was playing poorly.  I think that would endear him to potential players.  Ross just didn’t take the opportunity fully for various reasons.

• Like 2

McNeill has looked good whenether I've seen him play, people talk about wingers being inconsistent but he seems like someone who always puts in a good performance and doesn't go missing, was surprised to see he's still only 21.

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Where is this coming from?

And more importantly how could Dean have gotten him into the England team? He doesn't have any role there? We have a couple of players now who has managed to get themselves into the England set up while here under Smith. Barkley has gotten more chances than he deserves and has looked decidedly disinterested at putting effort in.

My understanding is he said it to Ross, when Ross first arrived....I guess he was confident, he could.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

My understanding is he said it to Ross, when Ross first arrived....I guess he was confident, he could.

Where have you heard it from?

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is absolutely no way that Dean Smith has egg on his face after Barkley's dive-bomb in form. If anything, Deano tried to hard to get Barkley's form back by keeping him in the team. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

It's been said in many interviews with Dean that he said he'd get Ross back in the England set-up.

To be fair that's not on Dean at all - Ross's attitude and lack of application have been the reasons he's not pushed on from his promising start (and possible COVID implications, if indeed he was one of the players that caught it). 

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

I can't remember,the source, but it was out there.I'm sure, I was not the only one to hear it.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable thing to say at the time, just after the Liverpool game, I think he was confident he could.

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

There is absolutely no way that Dean Smith has egg on his face after Barkley's dive-bomb in form. If anything, Deano tried to hard to get Barkley's form back by keeping him in the team. 

I said.....could.

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's been said in many interviews with Dean that he said he'd get Ross back in the England set-up.

To be fair that's not on Dean at all - Ross's attitude and lack of application have been the reasons he's not pushed on from his promising start (and possible COVID implications, if indeed he was one of the players that caught it). 

OK, never heard or read about it. Seems and odd thing to say considering the competition in his position but apparently Barkley scored twice and had an assist in his last game for England in October 2019 so maybe it's not that far fetched. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen Smith say anywhere that he'd get Barkley back in the England team, that's not something any manager would say and especially not Smith, if he'd have said something like that, more would have been made of it. The only thing I can find is Smith backing Barkley to get back in the England team, but that's not the same thing.

• Like 1