Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, DCJonah said:

You literally said you think it will cost Dean Smith his job like 10 minutes ago. 

I don’t think the board will stand for a lower finish than last season and I think if we are hovering around 13th/14th at xmas, the board might act. 

Again, all healthy discussion on a messageboard and of course, speculation on what may or may not happen.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Like I say, this window is chalk and cheese with last years. I think on balance, it’s been a very poor window for the club. (Tin hat on). 

Hardly poor given the quality we have brought in. Don't forget Sanson was meant to be signed this summer and Ramsey & the other U23s are showing Smith enough to give him the confidence to play them. 

I'm surprised that we haven't spent any money this window though. Is it because the players we wanted weren't available, Dean is genuinely happy with the squad or are the owners reigning in their spending? It would have been interesting to go to a parellel universe, where Grealish wasn't sold, to see if the board were willing to open the purse strings this window. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think the board will stand for a lower finish than last season and I think if we are hovering around 13th/14th at xmas, the board might act. 

Again, all healthy discussion on a messageboard and of course, speculation on what may or may not happen.

Haha for **** sake. 

You just said my post about Smith losing his job was hyperbole. 

Yet you say it and it's healthy discussion. 

Never change. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Haha for **** sake. 

You just said my post about Smith losing his job was hyperbole. 

Yet you say it and it's healthy discussion. 

Never change. 

I didn’t reference the part where you said Smith losing his job was Hyperbole did I?

I won’t change either, don’t worry 😉

I didn’t reference the part where you said Smith losing his job was Hyperbole did I?

I won’t change either, don’t worry 😉

So which part of 

Exactly. 

We have 3 key first team players who have been unable to play so far. 

I'll wait until our full strength team have played a few games together before I start claiming the season is over and Dean will be out of a job

So which part is hyperbole?

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think if the right player is available, we will move. We're in a strong position. If that means waiting until Jan or next summer, then so be it. 

We were nearly wound up a few years back! We've come a long way. Progress isn't always a smooth straight line. 

couldn't agree more.

I see we are linked with Axel Witsel ( 32)for a reported 4 mill....so it seems a defensive midfielder is on our radar.

Just now, DCJonah said:

So which part of 

So which part is hyperbole?

‘Claiming the season is over’.

Of course the season isn’t over. We could have an amazing season and I could be wrong in my predictions. Thats the beauty of live sport - anything can happen right?

Im merely suggesting that I don’t think we’ve had a good window and I think we’ll go backwards this year. Don’t worry though mate, I’ll still be supporting the team 👍

‘Claiming the season is over’.

Of course the season isn’t over. We could have an amazing season and I could be wrong in my predictions. Thats the beauty of live sport - anything can happen right?

Im merely suggesting that I don’t think we’ve had a good window and I think we’ll go backwards this year. Don’t worry though mate, I’ll still be supporting the team 👍

So Dean may lose his job. Healthy discussion. Season is over is hyperbole. 

I'm struggling to see how they're not very similar and potentially linked. 

I'll have a rest for the night. The negativity the day before the game is draining. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But we are doing things differently now. We are paying 1m for a lot of these youngsters. It is completely different to developing kids through from u7s and u9s etc

We’ve always brought youngsters into the academies as well as developing from child age, nothing has changed there.  The value has increased like the main players values have increased but we’ve always brought youngsters as well.

Just now, DCJonah said:

So Dean may lose his job. Healthy discussion. Season is over is hyperbole. 

I'm struggling to see how they're not very similar and potentially linked. 

I'll have a rest for the night. The negativity the day before the game is draining. 

Enjoy your rest, mate. Let’s reconvene at a later date 👍

Every fan base tends to think their youngsters are the next big thing and that they’ll bring through a Messi at some stage. 

The harsh reality is, only a few go on to make it, even fewer at the top level. Remember our team that won the FA youth cup previously, with the Moore brothers in it? How many of those players became regular premier league players? 

I don’t doubt our current crop might be the best we’ve had in a long, long time, but I’d be very surprised if more than 2 of them cut it as genuine top half premier league players. I think the ones who have a chance are Kessler, Carney and A. Ramsey. 

My point is, if we rely on the kids, it could go very wrong (cue the Hanson quote). I agree that there isn’t anything better than seeing a kid come through and killing it for the first team. I’m really hoping Jacob Ramsey goes up a gear this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Every fan base tends to think their youngsters are the next big thing and that they’ll bring through a Messi at some stage. 

The harsh reality is, only a few go on to make it, even fewer at the top level. Remember our team that won the FA youth cup previously, with the Moore brothers in it? How many of those players became regular premier league players? 

I don’t doubt our current crop might be the best we’ve had in a long, long time, but I’d be very surprised if more than 2 of them cut it as genuine top half premier league players. I think the ones who have a chance are Kessler, Carney and A. Ramsey. 

My point is, if we rely on the kids, it could go very wrong (cue the Hanson quote). I agree that there isn’t anything better than seeing a kid come through and killing it for the first team. I’m really hoping Jacob Ramsey goes up a gear this season.

You put so much better than I have over the last couple of pages. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm very aware of this as well. I think there's a huge difference between a player that looks promising during their cameos and a player who can fight their way into a starting role in the best XI for their club. And then there's another step up to being one of the best players on the pitch, and another one again to do all that while just a teenager or in your early twenties.

That said, we've done everything possible to give ourselves the best chance to have a great crop of youngsters coming through, so maybe we'll be lucky and have a golden generation. I'd just be cautious about hyping them up too much; the Academy would more than have justified the investment if it can unearth even one Grealish from the current bunch!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

As good as Grealish is… he’s not THAT good, we have signed 3/4, possibly 5 quality players and lost 1, I think it’s safe to say the squad has improved. 

The squad has, I’m not sure the starting XI has. 

• Like 1