Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

That’s fine. If he doesn’t want to play one, that’s his prerogative. However, I can see it costing him his job, I really can. 

of course.

so can I.....and I really don't want that to happen.

Just now, TRO said:

McKennie you call a number 8, such is his versatility, he can play in numerous positions....one which is put forward as his best, is defensive midfield, he has even played centre back.

I think we are crossing our wires here....someone has to stop the marauding raiders breaching our midfield, Weston McKennie, should be ideal for such a role in helping us do that.....and the fact he can play a bit (attacking) is all to the good.

I hope the links are true and he decides to change his mind and join us.

He is a number 8...  As an American, I've seen a lot of him over the years.  He's best as a box-to-box midfielder and I would compare him to being a more athletic, taller, McGinn.  Just saying he's a defensive midfielder who can play CB, because he knows how to tackle, is like saying Steven Gerrard would have been best as a DM or a CB for the same reason.  Just like McGinn struggles to play to his best by not letting him roam forward when we have possession, McKennie stuffers the same way with those restrictions.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There's no context to it though. Facing a shot doesn't meant a team sliced us open at will. 

What games last season did the opposition slice us apart and create great chance after great chance? 

It really didn't happen that often. 

If it didn’t happen so often, why do the stats suggest it did? 

I remember teams like Leeds, Palace and Brighton carving us open on numerous occasions. 

If you think we protect our back 4 and goalkeeper enough, then fine, but the stats suggest we don’t and it will continue to be a problem for an 11th placed team without Grealish. 

Edited by Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

If it didn’t happen so often, why do the stats say suggest it did? 

I remember teams like Leeds, Palace and Brighton carving us open on numerous occasions. 

If you think we protect our back 4 and goalkeeper enough, then fine, but the stats suggest we don’t and it will continue to be a problem for an 11th placed team without Grealish. 

I want us to sign a DM. 

I just don't buy the idea that if we don't we'll be ripped apart week in week out. 

Ultimately we equalled our premier league record for clean sheets. That seems to be ignored. It wasn't just down to world class saves each week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beachboys1 said:

clickbait surely

I believe it. They were always going to be desperate to play for their country. They need to fight for their place, certainly for Buendia, maybe even for Martinez too, he only won that shirt this summer. They can't not go and be guaranteed their place, I can see why they'd want to

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I want us to sign a DM. 

I just don't buy the idea that if we don't we'll be ripped apart week in week out. 

Ultimately we equalled our premier league record for clean sheets. That seems to be ignored. It wasn't just down to world class saves each week.

Some of our clean sheets were absolutely down to world class saves. 

Without Martinez last season, we’d have finished 13th/14th. 

The best way to protect him is to buy a decent defensive midfielder, if not 2, and if we don’t, we’ll suffer the consequences - a lower finish in the table.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of players across Europe and the world that could improve us in any position. 

I doubt there are hundreds of players that would fit the profile of the type of player Villa wants. I am 100% behind waiting to get the right player rather than compromising and getting someone else

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

clickbait surely

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. Luckily we have two right sided attackers who can fill in for Buendia. 

Someone mentioned Jack Stevens from Oxford earlier, good potential. 

Agree that we can probably cover Emi2.

19 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He is a number 8...  As an American, I've seen a lot of him over the years.  He's best as a box-to-box midfielder and I would compare him to being a more athletic, taller, McGinn.  Just saying he's a defensive midfielder who can play CB, because he knows how to tackle, is like saying Steven Gerrard would have been best as a DM or a CB for the same reason.  Just like McGinn struggles to play to his best by not letting him roam forward when we have possession, McKennie stuffers the same way with those restrictions.

No its not.....its like saying Steven Gerrard was so good, he could be played in several positions, just like Weston.

I didn't say, he was just a defensive midfielder....i clearly said he was versatile.....but a schalke04 observer said his best position was defensive midfield. I guess due to his versatility, it depends what games you see him play, to form an opinion of his best  position...he sounds like a utility player to me

we have plenty of midfielders, so my deduction is we are after him to play a more defensive role....just my call as I haven't studied his games.

Edited by TRO

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I doubt there are hundreds of players that would fit the profile of the type of player Villa wants. I am 100% behind waiting to get the right player rather than compromising and getting someone else

Then we’ll be waiting a while for success. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

If it didn’t happen so often, why do the stats say suggest it did? 

It is a crying shame that it seems we have stopped our buying in this window. Its kind of next level Deadly Doug behaviour when its obvious what we need yet they cannot open the chequebook to rectify it. Of course i dont know whats happening behind the scenes so i can only look at the current evidence. And yes we can get carved open easily at times but the difference last seqson to the season before is that we were better organised in defence meaning that the opp shot from further out thus increasing the save percentage. 

36 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Same can be said for any signing we make. Bailey and Buendia may or may not work out. Wes was 22m and is off to Belgium to play and didn't give us any value on the investment

Difference being is risk and when. Bailey and Buendia have played at a certain level over a good amount of games, the kids haven’t.  Everything is a risk but it’s a risk in each of the elements.  Buendia is a lot less risk than a kid making it for example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Some of our clean sheets were absolutely down to world class saves. 

Without Martinez last season, we’d have finished 13th/14th. 

The best way to protect him is to buy a decent defensive midfielder, if not 2, and if we don’t, we’ll suffer the consequences - a lower finish in the table.

I thought it was all Grealish.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It is a crying shame that it seems we have stopped our buying in this window. Its kind of next level Deadly Doug behaviour when its obvious what we need yet they cannot open the chequebook to rectify it. Of course i dont know whats happening behind the scenes so i can only look at the current evidence. And yes we can get carved open easily at times but the difference last seqson to the season before is that we were better organised in defence meaning that the opp shot from further out thus increasing the save percentage. 

It really is. It’s not just that for me, it’s the areas we’ve spent money. Had Grealish have stayed, I’d have argued we’d have needed two central midfielders. 

He’s gone for a record amount of money and whilst we may have replaced his output, we still haven’t spent money on the one area of the team that needed improving the most. 

Like I say, this window is chalk and cheese with last years. I think on balance, it’s been a very poor window for the club. (Tin hat on). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we don’t sign a decent defensive midfielder, I can’t see any way we can play a 4-2-3-1 this season without being sliced open by teams - see Watford match. 

This means it’s highly likely we’ll see more of the 4-3-3 formation with Luiz/Nakamba (shudder) at the base and two 8’s playing in front - McGinn/Sanson/Ramsey.

With this being the case, how the hell do you fit Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Bailey and Traore into the side and with the obvious answer being, ‘you can’t’, who the hell do you play? 

Would be extremely frustrating seeing Traore and Watkins on the bench when the likes of McGinn and Luiz/Nakamba are playing. 

Who starts in our best XI? 

Your tellin porkies....your always bitching about Bertie lol.

I do agree though, If we are relying on Marv, Doug, and McGinn as the pairing in a 4231 then I see the same problems.

It's obvious we've needed a  midfield monster for the last 2 windows but now If we play a 433 or a 4231 and facilitate both Ings as a 10 and Watkins the midfield becomes unbalanced and weaker because we are still relying on the two behind doing all the donkey work as a pairing. Our system ultimately becomes a 442 and Without a upgrade I still see inconsistency in the centre and problems with the current options. 

As mad as it sounds the Ings signing(although a great signing) makes the least sense as it has now seriously escalated the need to upgrade the midfield as we now need a solid pairing behind. That's how I see it. I always anticipated we we bring in another couple if forwards behind Ollie in the order and play a proper 10 in there who could also do the midfield work and support unlike Barkley. Then we concentrate on that pairing in the middle.  

Edited by avfc1982am