Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, nick76 said:

Difference being is risk and when. Bailey and Buendia have played at a certain level over a good amount of games, the kids haven’t.  Everything is a risk but it’s a risk in each of the elements.  Buendia is a lot less risk than a kid making it for example.

I agree the risk is different but so too are the numbers. We get much more kids for the same price as a 30m player so there is more contingency for the risk and a larger spread to hit gold

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I thought it was all Grealish.

Grealish will have helped take the pressure off our defence, for sure. He could receive the ball in tight spaces and win a free kick or find a pass that other players couldn’t. We’ve lost that world class ability now.

I think Martinez is in for another busy year. Let’s hope he is as good as he was last season. 

9 hours ago, striker said:

Big mistake if Villa’s midfield isn’t strengthened.

I'd rather we sign our specific targets rather than throwing money around like a kid in a candy store out of desperation, and to appease fans. 

If that means waiting, then so be it. We're still in good shape. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

Just now, Xela said:

I'd rather we sign our specific targets rather than throwing money around like a kid in a candy store out of desperation and to appease impatient fans. 

Yep. When people realise that football doesn't end after this season they might calm down.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Some of our clean sheets were absolutely down to world class saves. 

Without Martinez last season, we’d have finished 13th/14th. 

The best way to protect him is to buy a decent defensive midfielder, if not 2, and if we don’t, we’ll suffer the consequences - a lower finish in the table.

we played 38 games in the league, with 15 clean sheets, that means we conceded goals in 23 games.

We conceded 46 goals in total, divided by 23, averages exactly 2 goals per game.

That to me suggests you have a point, worth investigating deeper.

Emi is top class and the defence is well praised in the Fanbase.....so somewhere or other, we did concede too many goals in certain games, despite a tremendous stat of 15 clean sheets.

where I share your view, I think the back line gets too exposed, in certain games....midfield, would be a good place to tighten up.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I agree the risk is different but so too are the numbers. We get much more kids for the same price as a 30m player so there is more contingency for the risk and a larger spread to hit gold

Yet we may still not hit gold hence why sometimes you pay for the gold. I’ve seen so many Villa youngsters down the years that we were convinced were going to be special and never did.  If they do then great but to plan based on that from us fans is foolish imo.  Let the kids do their stuff and then later down the line if we benefit then great.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Why do people assume we've completely stopped? Obviously Dean has made some comments but no one on here has any idea about what happens behind the scenes so why the assumption?

My comments are based on the assumption it’s stopped (which I think it has). 

If we go on and sign a midfielder or two then happy days! 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If it didn’t happen so often, why do the stats suggest it did? 

I remember teams like Leeds, Palace and Brighton carving us open on numerous occasions. 

If you think we protect our back 4 and goalkeeper enough, then fine, but the stats suggest we don’t and it will continue to be a problem for an 11th placed team without Grealish. 

For the first half of the season we were one of the best in terms of shots conceded, we generally really kept things tight. We also didnt drop any points from winning positions

After the covid break though we got absolutely wrecked, the Man City game, West Ham at home in particular they shelled us. We became one of the worst sides for conceding shots and we also dropped 19 points from winning positions!

We have it in us to be defensively sound, but we need to be fit, and to be disciplined in our play. They were both absent against Watford, but looked better against Newcastle. Need to continue that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

we played 38 games in the league, with 15 clean sheets, that means we conceded goals in 23 games.

We conceded 46 goals in total, divided by 23, averages exactly 2 goals per game.

That to me suggests you have a point, worth investigating deeper.

Emi is top class and the defence is well praised in the Fanbase.....so somewhere or other, we did concede too many goals in certain games, despite a tremendous stat of 15 clean sheets.

where I share your view, I think the back line gets too exposed, in certain games....midfield, would be a good place to tighten up.

Of course it would, but to discuss that, on a forum is blasphemous and you get labelled a moron 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s probably already been discussed on here but surprised to see Norwich might sign William Carvalho. Seems to fit the profile of the DM we crave.  

Don't like his moustache.

Next! 

• Haha 2

Good window so far. I agree we need another mid. Would be fine with Witzel - someone still at the top of their game until our clearly amazing youth prospects come through.

I think we can get by with rotating a few of the youngsters in, but it delays our progress a year.

That said, I think it's crazy to say this has been a poor window...

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

My comments are based on the assumption it’s stopped (which I think it has). 

If we go on and sign a midfielder or two then happy days! 

I know that. I’m asking why you think it’s stopped? Are you just fully buying into what Dean has said?

As the a couple on here have already stated, the stated goal from our management team was about building a sustainable club that could compete for Europe every season. The key points there are sustainable and compete

You could argue last year year we absolutely had a competitive go of it at the European spots. Our challenge started out hot but fizzled for a number of reasons that have been been discussed thoroughly on the summer on here. 

Now to the other point, was it sustainable?  That would probably be a big no. Our owners have had to inject large sums of cash $300 million plus since promotion up.  If we carry on needing that level of outside investment to remain solvent then eventually we will end up like Icarus and suffer a repeat of the Lerner years. It's imperative we become self sufficient so that even if our owners decide to leave or lose interest, Aston Villa Football Club can continue on as before challenging for the European places in the Prem. 

• Like 3

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

I know that. I’m asking why you think it’s stopped? Are you just fully buying into what Dean has said?

Not sure really. Lack of links, smiths comments, noise around us being done. 

Guess I’ve subconsciously bought into us being finished. Hope I’m wrong!