Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I doubt the owners genuinely believe this squad should be getting Europe. 

Deano is in trouble if they do, we will do very well to finish 11th again imo. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Can’t believe it’s FFP related, we spent £70m prior to Grealish going. Unless of course they knew he was going all along…

they said in interview(s), that they knew Mike Lubb was probably going fairly early on in the window.

Thats clearly why we were throwing bids in for ESR etc.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I doubt the owners genuinely believe this squad should be getting Europe. 

I doubt the owners would have the ability to make that judgement and nor would they attempt to. They will give CP his objectives and he needs to manage their expectations and tell them if the squad is good enough or not and if not how much money to fill the gaps. If objectives are set and not met then someone on the chain gets the sack 

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Exactly didn't they say specifically Europe was the aim? Or am I imagining that?

This season? I don't remember that. Pretty sure Smith said the aim is to improve on last season, but not particularly in a European place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

they said in interview(s), that they knew Mike Lubb was probably going fairly early on in the window.

Thats clearly why we were throwing bids in for ESR etc.

Did they, pretty sure Purslow said they didn’t expect anyone to meet the clause. Either way someone’s lying, Smith definitely said he was excited by the list of potential signings we were looking at prior to the transfer window opening. 

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Exactly didn't they say specifically Europe was the aim? Or am I imagining that?

Purslow said it. Yet again it's cover for Smith, is case he don't make it.

He said: "Clearly, the club would not want to comment on specific transfer business. However, qualifying for European football is very much part of our strategic plan.

Qualifying for European football would provide opportunities to drive more revenue."

We are so short still . Not partucularly in terms of numbers as we will have 25 which i reckon is fine for a non European football squad. 

But in terms of quality where we are standing still in midfield which in reality means going backwards. 

Other posters are right in that our youngsters are not ready to hugely effect a premier league game as yet.  Chuk would have had a wake up call yesterday to see just how frenetic premier league football is . Just like Jacob last year. Another 20 appearances over this season and he will hopefully come on leaps and bounds . But if that means a period of consolidation then that means regression most likely in the league table.

Dean likes to develop players. I have a huge doubt that McGinn is going to improve in his 4th season and Luiz and Nakamba in their 3rd with us . He will get an improvement out of Jacob which hopefully will be a big one but thats not going to bridge the gap in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

He said: "Clearly, the club would not want to comment on specific transfer business. However, qualifying for European football is very much part of our strategic plan.

Qualifying for European football would provide opportunities to drive more revenue."

So strategic doesn’t necessarily mean this season

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Then Smith and Purslow need to stop bigging it up. 

Haven't heard it for a while and it would be a mistake to say it again until we have some semblance of our preferred team on show. If Europe being the aim is said again then Smith will definitely be under pressure.

4 minutes ago, WHY said:
11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Did they, pretty sure Purslow said they didn’t expect anyone to meet the clause. Either way someone’s lying

I think that is also known as managing the messaging to the fans 

The season we need a squad to cope more than ever, we make it smaller and weaker than ever. How is this squad supposed to cope with injuries, suspension, Covid isolations, international quarantines.

Pure villa. I get a sense the owners may have realised it's am impossible game to win and may be looking to sell up.I think seeing Grealish **** off when Purslow said himself they didn't expect, has made them realise it can't be done without the backing of a nations wealth. Which would be very unfortunate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Doesn’t state a time frame. 
could be this season, short term plan or the long term plan. 
I believe fans expectations have been added to what the club has stated what the plan is 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think that is also known as managing the messaging to the fans 

If they came out and said we need to cut spending to be FFP compliant I don’t think any genuine fan would have a problem, given the money the owners have put in. To continually mention exciting transfer targets and reaching Europe won’t wash for long and will bite them on the arse. Just worried how many of our other players don’t have ‘release clauses’ in their contracts as well. 

30 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

A little, but not particularly. there’s many factors for players wanting to join or not. 

We finished midtable and we attracted bailey and Ings.. we’d expected both would be going to European competition teams, yet they came to us. So I think we should be fine 

True enough!