Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, macandally said:

So I take it you always spend all the money you have in your account every week/month without any forward planning?

Just because we have it, doesn’t mean you blow it on sub-standard players that are not part of our plan.  I think if we could have got ESR or JWP fee agreed we would have spent it, that was the standard we were looking at.  We didn’t so now we keep our powder dry until someone that significantly improves us appears.

No, I agree. If the right player at the right price was available, I'm sure we would go for them. I think we are wise enough to not overpay for players just because we have the cash. I was just saying that from the outside looking in, it is just a bit disappointing that we have a negative net spend.

• Like 2

i'll be very disappointed if we don't sign anyone else, which it looks like we won't. i don't see any reason why we shouldn't be going all out for another cm and a lw. when grealish was here, we were told that the signings we made would be to compliment him. now he's gone and nothing is being done to kick on any further.

in the end it seems like a bit of a wasted summer treading water, more or less. i can't really see us pressing for europe anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, abdomlahor said:

i'll be very disappointed if we don't sign anyone else, which it looks like we won't. i don't see any reason why we shouldn't be going all out for another cm and a lw. when grealish was here, we were told that the signings we made would be to compliment him. now he's gone and nothing is being done to kick on any further.

in the end it seems like a bit of a wasted summer treading water, more or less. i can't really see us pressing for europe anyway.

Exactly. Looks like we’re happy to stand still this season at best. Which is fine, just a little disappointing. I thought we’d really try and kick on. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

That is genuinely one of the best things I’ve read in here. Superb stuff. 

You clearly haven't followed much of Louie's career or seen much of him play. I have been watching the guy play for about 5 or 6 years now and he is a very very special talent and if he avoids injury and continues improving as he is doing he will be a world class player in a few years time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, a-k said:

No, I agree. If the right player at the right price was available, I'm sure we would go for them. I think we are wise enough to not overpay for players just because we have the cash. I was just saying that from the outside looking in, it is just a bit disappointing that we have a negative net spend.

Net Spend is a meaningless figure, not reflecting how the transfers are actually accounted and paid for.

Our actual cash spent this summer on transfers will significantly outweigh the cash received. People seem to forget we still paying large chunks of moneys for our 2019 and 2020 summer transfers. For example we still had to pay outstanding £6m to Bournemouth for Mings last month.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

You clearly haven't followed much of Louie's career or seen much of him play. I have been watching the guy play for about 5 or 6 years now and he is a very very special talent and if he avoids injury and continues improving as he is doing he will be a world class player in a few years time

Ok mate. Let’s hope so. You said he could replace Grealish though. I think we should probably aim to replace Grealish earlier than 2027. 

1 minute ago, Czarnikjak said:

Net Spend is a meaningless figure, not reflecting how the transfers are actually accounted and paid for.

Our actual cash spent this summer on transfers will significantly outweigh the cash received. People seem to forget we still paying large chunks of moneys for our 2019 and 2020 summer transfers. For example we still had to pay outstanding £6m to Bournemouth for Mings last month.

It is not meaningless when we dropped 35mil on player to play with JG, ergo we were looking at having a net spend of circa 35mil . That's the point.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Ok mate. Let’s hope so. You said he could replace Grealish though. I think we should probably aim to replace Grealish earlier than 2027. 

Louie is 18 now. A year with Ipswich and then back to Villa age 19 and straight into the senior squad. He will be scoring goals for Villa long before 2027

• Thanks 1

Louie is 18 now. A year with Ipswich and then back to Villa age 19 and straight into the senior squad. He will be scoring goals for Villa long before 2027

So you think that Louie Barry will be as good as Grealish (or better) next year?

(Bearing in mind he’s struggling for game time at Ipswich).

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Presumptuous lad, aren't ya? I'm quite sure Delphinho has seen Louie Barry play and is aware of his record and reputation.

It was touch and go whether Jack Grealish would realize his full potential and become the player he now is just 2 years ago, so Louie is far from a sure thing. High hopes, yes, but your predictions are a little premature.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

It is not meaningless when we dropped 35mil on player to play with JG, ergo we were looking at having a net spend of circa 35mil . That's the point.

Net spend is meaningless touted by Sky as it is easy to understand by average punter. 

What counts to clubs is the overall cost of ownership of a player (amortisation plus wages) and cash flow. You forgeting to factor wages of any more of potential incomings.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

So you think that Louie Barry will be as good as Grealish (or better) next year?

(Bearing in mind he’s struggling for game time at Ipswich).

No, I didn't say that. I do think Louie will be a better player than Grealish though in a few years. As for getting a game at Ipswich. He is only 18, has just joined them on Aug 6th and has 3 appearances. Give him a chance to get his into the team.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Hopefully he ain't gone on holiday yet?

Worrying that Smith has reiterated he is happy with the squad and has said he has youth options if required.

he is in big time not championship can't rely on youth in worst case scenorio

No, I didn't say that. I do think Louie will be a better player than Grealish though in a few years. As for getting a game at Ipswich. He is only 18, has just joined them on Aug 6th and has 3 appearances. Give him a chance to get his into the team.

But you did say that you think he’ll replace Grealish. I’m asking when. When do you think Barry will be as good as Grealish and starting regularly for Villa? At what age? 

28 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

NSWE and CP have told us the plan is to get the youth system to feed the 1st XI. I expect we will still have big signings but they will be complimented by promoting the youth. Louie Barry is perfect for replacing Jack and imo, he is just as good if not a better prospect than Jack

Yes I agree with that.