Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

To improve you need to, primarily, replace the current starting players. Adding depth only helps you for the handful of games you need with injuries and suspensions.

So we need to be aiming to sign players that can genuinely fight for that spot. There are some easier targets than others - Martinez clearly isn't going to be given much of a fight!

But I think Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Traore, El Ghazi, Trez and, to some extent, Watkins all need a genuine challenge to their spot. If they become the back ups then we have improved as a team.

Konsa is ahead of Mings for me. I'd like to see Guilbert back to genuinely challenge Cash but think Cash will win out. Still adds strength vs Elmo periods. Targett has zero threat to position but is only area on pitch I can see we'd be buying purely for back up. Grealish is a can of worms obviously.

My knowledge of players outside Premier League is limited to non-existant so I'd be looking at the likes of Tuanzebe, Eze, Pereira, Buendia, Abraham. All would improve our starting line up. We'll probably go for none of them!

Could be an interesting summer.

Completely agree with your first two paragraphs.

Then it went off course.

I appreciate your knowledge of players outside the Premier League is limited, that’s cool.

I also appreciate you probably don’t think Tuanzebe is better than Mings or Konsa but is probably a sizeable upgrade on Engels for sure and Hause.

My issue is with the others. Eze is injured until 2022 and the time to buy him was last summer not now his price has doubled.

Pereira, is not a player who is clearly better than Traore. Nothing about him suggests that, equal level maybe even slightly better.

Buendia is a genuine option but for 40 million plus you can get better abroad.

Abraham would be a future window signing, maybe. We have limited funds and 4 strikers, we don’t know how Wesley will do granted but it’s a fair gamble he will be up to standard as a stand in when pre season is over. Barrie is tearing it up in the under 23’s and between those two and other forwards who could fill in there is no way we prioritise a striker for 40m in this window.

We aren’t going to play two up front as some suggest and neither is Watkins going out wide.

I can name at least 5 positions to buy for before a striker comes up for debate.

Two clearly better wide forwards, a clearly better DCM, a left back which can genuinely compete with target and a centre back that isn’t too big of a come down in quality from the two first choices.

I can name at least half a dozen better options abroad for every position you mentioned bar centre back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

7m is a cup of coffee in today's market.

What is the point when he isn't a clearly better player, we don't need any midfielders that aren't clearly better.

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

What is the point when he isn't a clearly better player, we don't need any midfielders that aren't clearly better.

Would add depth to the squad and at 21 adds huge potential , like said if fee is anywhere near that , it's not big risk, when you see how easy Tierney has settled to premier League and then McGinn with us makes it more tempting

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Depends. If Lange has been scouting him and they like him long term, then it would make sense. An up and coming young player for a small fee and likely small wages. Develop him more and see where it goes. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Would add depth to the squad and at 21 adds huge potential , like said if fee is anywhere near that , it's not big risk, when you see how easy Tierney has settled to premier League and then McGinn with us makes it more tempting

So currently we have.

McGinn, Sanson, Luiz, Nakamba, Ramsey, Conor and Chuckwumeka

We need to bring in a DCM and sell Conor that is 7 players competing to start for 2 or 3 places depending on how you view the attacking midfielder as an 8 or 10.

Depth is not needed in central midfield right now, substantial upgrades are needed to the starters 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

7m for Turnbull, oh yeah

Might be worth a punt for that money. I am surprised Celtic don’t want more, I had a theory that if a Scottish player had ambition to join an English club moving to Celtic scuppers that because they would want to much money and clubs would bulk at paying because he is playing in a pub league. £7 million suggests my theory is wrong.

29 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Might be worth a punt for that money. I am surprised Celtic don’t want more, I had a theory that if a Scottish player had ambition to join an English club moving to Celtic scuppers that because they would want to much money and clubs would bulk at paying because he is playing in a pub league. £7 million suggests my theory is wrong.

They arent in a healthy financial place. No fans and shit European runs have damaged them

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Signings like Turnbull are ok but wont take us to the next level.

We need to look at higher calibre players if we want to challenge for europe

Looking at Celtic fan comments about this last night they were furious, saying they needed to build their team around him. 

If there’s any truth in this at all it’s because our scouting teaming think he is good enough for where we want to go, or could be and so is worth bringing in. 

MacKenzie has some track record. 

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

McGinn, Sanson, Luiz, Nakamba, Ramsey, Conor and Chuckwumeka

Depth is not needed in central midfield right now, substantial upgrades are needed to the starters 

Conor will be gone. Ramsey I imagine will be loaned out and Chuckwumeka is still learning his trade.

It's crucial we have squad depth next season in many positions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

Not saying we should or shouldn't sell El Ghazi, but at some point we're probably going to have to get used to selling good players, which as long as they're not our best players, will be a sign that we're doing well and that our squad is growing in strength.

Totally agree, El ghazi as well as he's done this season should potentially be moved on with some big money spent on wide players this summer and traore moving into the backup role. El ghazi to be fair has had a great impact this season and his numbers are right up there, but unless he really moves up another level quickly, we should look to cash in while his value is high. At the start of the season we probably would have sold him for peanuts, now with nearly 10 pl goals this season and in the dutch national team, he must be worth 20m+ by today's standards.

There also needs to be a pathway for the youth players with exceptional potential like Carney and JPB to get minutes from the bench. That won't happen if we're padding the bench out with senior players who are never going to push our starting 11.

Turnbull is 21, has just won Celtics player of the year and young player of the year. 

Ive never seen him play but winning those awards at just 21 is impressive. Could be an interesting transfer if it goes ahead. 

I think Ramsey will be loaned, Conor will be gone and Barkley will go back to Chelsea. I also think we may move Nakamba on. Chukwuemeka might be one more season away from making an impact so there is room to add to the midfield dept.

I wonder how close the youngsters are to being back ups on the bench. Presuming we won't have 9 players on the bench next season, Surely some of the kids can sit as well as neil taylor can?  i never like having players waste their career on a bench. Dean likes his first eleven and is generally very loyal to them. I can't see us having a similar calibre to the likes of watkins or targett coming and spending all season on the bench. 

Anyhow, I can't see us getting more than 2 or 3 tops first team standard players. - a full back, a winger and maybe another central midfielder. And generally in the mid-to late 20s range. 

Davis or Wesley are barely going to play next year again. 

I would expect more from Ramsey next season, and surely Chuck, Louis and one or two others of the kids are going to spend more time with the first team squad - cup appearances, maybe short term loans...

I know we want better, but I can't see our first eleven changing significantly come september. A winger in there,  perhaps another central defender - but surpassing Mings and Konsa as a pairing is going to be a bold move ( even considering Tyrone's propensity for clangers, he's clearly a great leader of the side ). Where do the new players come in?

• Like 1