Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 23:59

Great performances from Traore, Konsa, Watkins,Cash, Targett and my MOTM Nakamba. Really pleased as I’ve always thought he could have a similar progression to Trez and Luiz, who both blossomed after Lockdown, but he hasn’t had a chance to prove it until now. He made 67 passes in this match with a 98.5% success rate (and they weren’t all easy passes) which is amazing.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Shomin Geki said:

Konsa 9- The crystallisation of the New Cultured and Composed Aston Villa.  Konsa finds the perfect balance between upmarket silk and streetwise watchfulness, whose stone cold consistency in those departments makes his seeming ability to be one or two seconds in front of everyone that much more impressive.

This is pure poetry! Best description of a player I've ever read

Shomin 10 👌🏻

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stegzy said:

Great performances from Traore, Konsa, Watkins,Cash, Targett and my MOTM Nakamba. Really pleased as I’ve always thought he could have a similar progression to Trez and Luiz, who both blossomed after Lockdown, but he hasn’t had a chance to prove it until now. He made 67 passes in this match with a 98.5% success rate (and they weren’t all easy passes) which is amazing.

He did a lot of McGinn esque turns away from difficulty, and into space, and then found someone after doing so. He could always do one or the other,  but never with this level of consistency and never both one after the other.  Maybe Newcastle's lack of a joined up press was a big help for him,  but you can only beat whats in front of you  and he smashed it this game. Would be interested to see him against better opposition but at least it shows we do have depth when we're only missing 1 or 2 players.

Targett MOTM

closely followed by Traore, Nakamba, Watkins & Konsa

last season we had nearly all 11 players regularly having off days. This season if one or two do, plenty of others step up to compensate.

Routine victory just like last season in the same fixture. 2 up at HT and easily seen out by FT. Would have like a few more goals but it should keep Brucey in his job for a while longer. 

Already won the same amount of games as last season. 9 clean sheets and +13 GD. Big performance on Wednesday will set us up nicely

• Like 1

thought we bossed the game tonight well deserved win, very happy.  come on here and apparently we were poor.  I know Newcastle are awful. they were the worst team we played last season as well. 

think we need to give the players more credit. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Forget Sheffield United, Newcastle are by far the worst team in this league. Seriously bad

I actually think their squad isn't that terrible - better than the current bottom three at a canter. It's just the whole package - including manager and owner - that make them toxic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, markc said:

thought we bossed the game tonight well deserved win, very happy.  come on here and apparently we were poor.  I know Newcastle are awful. they were the worst team we played last season as well. 

think we need to give the players more credit. 

We did boss it, I thought we were sloppy at times but poor is prob a bit strong. Our expectations have increased as this season goes on, above Chelsea and Arsenal with games in hand shows how far we have come since last season. I almost expect us to score 3 or 4 every game now, brilliant to watch

Didn't have to get out of first gear, but another very assured performance. Tonight was the first night in about ten years I wasn't truly worried we might revert to shooting ourselves in the foot. I think we can safely say we are on our way to better things....

If you can make Nakamba Motm, you know it's a comfortable win.

Barring Mings 😜

Voted Nakamba MOTM for slotting in so seamlessly. Konsa, Targett, Cash and Watkins all great.

How on earth can Bruce say he was encouraged watching that? Not sure we’ll come up against a worse side this season. Lovely finish Traore. Correct decision to bring Jack off on 4 yellows, not that he was happy about it!

Moment of the night: how happy Trez was to be coming back on - love that enthusiasm!

• Like 1

Thought Nakamba was excellent as the game went on just tidying up doing the simple stuff well. Hope Grealish was angry at himself getting subbed off because thought he butchered a few break away chances with bad options to put game out of reach

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

We did boss it, I thought we were sloppy at times but poor is prob a bit strong. Our expectations have increased as this season goes on, above Chelsea and Arsenal with games in hand shows how far we have come since last season. I almost expect us to score 3 or 4 every game now, brilliant to watch

Whilst I do agree with you to an extent, this season in particular is showing that there are no easy games in this league Liverpool at home to Burnley for example. So i think when people are thinking we should be beating teams like Newcastle by 3 or 4, while giving our defensive players motm,  a bit much. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, supermon said:

Feel sorry for Bruce, he doesn't deserve the cabbage jokes and criticism. end of the day he stabilized us as a club and played his part in the rebuild. He's just probably limited as a coach/manager

He also manages teams with terrible owners who don't spend money.

Â