Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Whilst I do agree with you to an extent, this season in particular is showing that there are no easy games in this league Liverpool at home to Burnley for example. So i think when people are thinking we should be beating teams like Newcastle by 3 or 4, while giving our defensive players motm,  a bit much. 

We've gone from awful football and awful results to exciting football and the ability to beat anyone... it takes some getting used to for me.. of course we aren't gonna beat everyone by 3 or 4 but we now have the ability to do it

• Like 2

The other thing often forgotten is we entered the season with inadequate defenders because Bruce threw his toys out of the pram about not being allowed to bring Terry back. Consequently the fat piece of shit ruined James Chester's career. I **** despise the man. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why are they making comparisons with the first Man City goal on Wednesday? Watkins was not offside for his goal; he was behind the ball before it was crossed. They just seemed to ignore that, even when Townsend pointed it out.

To be fair,  they mostly seemed to be mentioning this with regards to why there was no VAR check on the goal - it didn't matter whether he started the move onside or not because as soon as the defender touched it that became irrelevent. Which is worth pointing out given it's not exactly clear what the rules are these days...

• Martínez 8 Did what he had to do ...  not that it was much.
  • Cash 8 I liked his forward runs
  • Konsa 8 He was solid
  • Mings 8 Again solid ...  did what he had to do
  • Targett 8 Really strong especially in the first half, went off the boil in the second, but still hot
  • Luiz 7 ... not his best game
  • Nakamba 8 Stepped in for McGinn nicely
  • Traoré 8 One of his better games from the point of view tracking back
  • Barkley 7 Good but looked a bit rusty
  • Grealish 7 Not the best by his standards, 8 or 9 by anyone else's.
  • Watkins 7 was in the right place at the right time
I liked the strategy of sucking the pus out of the boil, especially after going one up. Getting Newcastle to open up ... passing the ball back to Martinez, getting their frontline to cut off the outlet pass and then passing the ball to Nakamba. Over and over again. It was only towards the end of the game that did Newcastle bother to have anyone mark Nakamba for the outlet pass.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is this a joke? We spent a ridiculous amount for a Championship team, and Bruce had them all underperforming consistently. We had a team with Abraham, Mings, McGinn and Grealish midtable in the second tier. 

I guess maybe I've blocked out the details 🙈

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

1st goal a bit similar to the City one. 

If the defender let's it go the goal does not stand but since he intentionally touches it the goal is fine. 

According to the commentator I was watching, Watkins while ahead of his defender was actually still behind the ball when the ball was passed, so it would not have mattered if the defender had not touched the ball. But I am surprised it did not go to VAR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Oh, and not sure I’m on board with Watkins’ new found trick of falling over in the box 

I suspect after being on the receiving end of the Pogba fall.. smith has thought ‘**** it’

• Like 1

I'm so pleased and relieved we've ended our mini-winless run and so pleased and relieved for Ollie too! 🙂 Phew! 😛 And happy too for Traore yet again! They're not just good players, they're very nice people as well.

I loved the way Traore's shot bounced down off the bar and then up into the top corner! 🤩 Spectacular! After watching two of his highlights reels in the summer I was saying how skilful he looked and he hasn't let us down. 

I learnt tonight that until last season's win at VP against Newcastle, we'd somehow managed to go 12 games in a row without a win against them, wtf!? Oh well, we're putting that right under Dean Smith.

So today's game was a copy of that win against them last season: 2-0 at half-time time and still 2-0 at full-time. 

12 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

According to the commentator I was watching, Watkins while ahead of his defender was actually still behind the ball when the ball was passed, so it would not have mattered if the defender had not touched the ball. But I am surprised it did not go to VAR.

By the way, things don't "go to VAR" - every goal is checked regardless of the referee asking for it.

I completely agree with you though, Watkins was behind the ball when it was played anyway.

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If the defender let's it go the goal does not stand but since he intentionally touches it the goal is fine. 

Well, possibly, and Ollie not *actually* being offside helped too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Watkins was clearly behind the ball, so in that regards it was nothing like the Man City goal at all

It's just Sky trying to protect the refs and Man City so they can forever say we benefitted from the same rule to stop our fans moaning

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, smg said:

How long can we allow Barkley to be rusty ? Getting a bit of an easy ride IMO.

It's a strange one as it's to his own detriment too, ultimately. He came here looking for a way back into the England setup for the Euros... he hasn't a hope at present I'm afraid.

I appreciate he came to us not match fit and then picked up an injury which has only hampered him further, but his drab performance tonight can't wholly be attributed to that. There's times when he just doesn't look fully arsed to be quite honest.

I feel he can be forgiven for not being as sharp as some of his teammates, but not working hard and then squandering possession when he has it aren't as readily forgivable for me tbh. 

I'd start him against Burnley and then see what sort of shape we want to have when Sanson comes in. Everyone needs to earn their place now.

Â