Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 23:59

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

1st goal a bit similar to the City one. 

If the defender let's it go the goal does not stand but since he intentionally touches it the goal is fine. 

No it isn't. The City guy was offside before he made his move, Watkins was clearly onside when the ball was crossed. So totally different.

If he let's it go and Watkins puts it in the net it is a goal because Watkins was never offside.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Thanks for the clarification ... surprised VAR did not go to the referee?

He would have done, they are in constant communication so after seeing just one replay he would have OK'd it whilst we were celebrating. 

There was nothing to check as Watkins was clearly behind the ball

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 22:08, AvonVillain said:

Why would anybody actually want a manager to lose their job at another club!?

especially because they are playing bad.....give him a 10 year contract.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If the defender let's it go the goal does not stand but since he intentionally touches it the goal is fine. 

the only difference being Rodri was 10 yards offside and Ollie was debatable.

I think we won in 2nd gear today. We can be much better than that but didn’t need to be. In complete control all game. It’s so nice this season to go in to games we expect to win and actually win.   Newcastle are shocking. 

Gave Konsa man of the match for the way he dealt with potential sticky situations so calmly but to be fair the whole defender were hardly troubled all game. Credit to Nakamba too for coming in and doing a good job. Kept the ball moving nicely. 

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They were so shit it confused us.

The highlight was Jack having a big wah wah cry cry. McGinn will have been pissing himself watching that, he's getting it in training this week.

This is right.  Sometimes you need a team to give you a challenge for you to raise your game. I think this is why we looked a bit casual and didn’t really go for the kill. They seemed to play like a team that were just happy if we passed it around in our own half. Even when they were 2-0 down. 

I think they going to get relegated.

In those tough times, my season ticket holding daughter asked me why I could not have been born near Highbury. Your message made me smile as if he has truly  given his allegiance to the Villa he will find out it will not alway be this good! 😀

26 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

A couple of days ago my son (4 years old) said "Dad, I have a football team now, it's Aston Villa because that's your football team." Go through a lifetime of trauma supporting this lot only for my kid to be a glory hunter in disguise. Happy times.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Definitely not how the offside rule works. Defection, shanks, and what not do not reset an offside attacker.  It has to be a delibrate attempt to CONTROL and play the ball. 

Watkins was behind the ball when Targett struck it. Thats why he is onside.  Same reason no one can be offside on a corner kick. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Thought our first goal could have been given offside by the rules I thought I knew...

I have seen a couple of people mention it as controversial. I don’t get why? He was behind the ball when Targett passed, still behind it when the defender touched it - when are people saying he might have been offside?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I have seen a couple of people mention it as controversial. I don’t get why? He was behind the ball when Targett passed, still behind it when the defender touched it - when are people saying he might have been offside?

Don't think he was. Watched the slow mo as they discussed after the game

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't think he was. Watched the slow mo as they discussed after the game

Oh I guess that answers my question of why people are commenting but I totally disagree. Just watched it back 4 more times - he’s behind the ball as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Â