Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 23:59

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

No it isn't. The City guy was offside before he made his move, Watkins was clearly onside when the ball was crossed. So totally different.

If he let's it go and Watkins puts it in the net it is a goal because Watkins was never offside.

Fair enough. Not watched replays of it thought he looked just offside at the time. 

Regarding the city one. Once Mings touches the ball and deliberately plays Rodri is no longer deemed offside, according to the rules 

• Like 1

That felt like a training session.

Well done to Nakamba for coming into the side and slotting in seamlessly.

Few Newcastle players going through the motions. Only time Shelvey looked like he gave a **** was when he followed through on Jack.

Bruce is a dead cabbage rotting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smg said:

How long can we allow Barkley to be rusty ? Getting a bit of an easy ride IMO.

I agree. It wasnt that he was anonymous for large parts, which is likely down to his lack of fitness as he returns from injury, but also the constant flicks he did that very rarely came off. Should play a simple ball more often.

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

1st goal a bit similar to the City one. 

If the defender let's it go the goal does not stand but since he intentionally touches it the goal is fine. 

Watkins was onside. He was behind the ball when it was played so the defender was irrelevant in this one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, blunther said:

Watkins was onside. He was behind the ball when it was played so the defender was irrelevant in this one. 

Not sure I'd trust VAR to have called that one in our favour !

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Easy. Didn’t break a sweat.  

That was the most pleasing thing. Newcastle are shit but you still have to go out and show that. 

Today looked like exactly what it was. A very very good team playing against a poor one. It looked like an exhibition mate at times and that's credit how good we have become. 

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I agree. It wasnt that he was anonymous for large parts, which is likely down to his lack of fitness as he returns from injury, but also the constant flicks he did that very rarely came off. Should play a simple ball more often.

Smith said when we signed him he'll get him back into the England squad. 

Conspiracy theory I know but he might have it in his contract that he'll play every game regardless. 

Could of easy been around 6 nill I reckon, Attempts from Barkley, Trezegeut, Luiz and Grealish should of all brought a goal.

I think Newcastle were utter rubbish and never really threatened Martinez, yet they leaked so much at the back.

I do not think Bruce Ball will live on much longer at Newcastle, I think his sacking will be on the way soon if he doesnt find a win from somewhere.

So glad we got rid of Bruce along time ago, he offers nothing to a club.

35 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Could of easy been around 6 nill I reckon, Attempts from Barkley, Trezegeut, Luiz and Grealish should of all brought a goal.

I think Newcastle were utter rubbish and never really threatened Martinez, yet they leaked so much at the back.

I do not think Bruce Ball will live on much longer at Newcastle, I think his sacking will be on the way soon if he doesnt find a win from somewhere.

So glad we got rid of Bruce along time ago, he offers nothing to a club.

Can see Newcastle making a move for Eddie Howe to be honest

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Can see Newcastle making a move for Eddie Howe to be honest

Probably not the right thread for this but if they sack Bruce they have to back the new manager which Ashley doesn't want to do. I think they will keep SB until after Jan so the new manager can't buy players and is brought in to work with the squad they have. I think SB will be be there unless they look like getting relegated and they need a new manager bounce. 

Surprised by the barkley criticism, though he looked really good in the final third, rusty yes but dictating the play and most importantly getting close to Watkins. Probably the first villa player to get within 10 yards of Watkins in the last 8 games. No surprise for me that he was in the box to score that header.

I thought we won that game without really getting out of second gear which is either  a sign of remarkable progress on our part &/or a damning indictment on Brucies Newcastle (Likely somewhere in the middle).

It was so comfortable i felt we slipped into sloppy play especially in the second half but it was never going to cost us.

We will need to be sharper in the week against a bouncing Burnley side who have just ended that Liverpool home run however.  I hope we don't carry on and start that game in the sloppy manner we finished this one as go 1-0 down against that lot and your up against it.

• Like 1

Allround solid performance good reaction after the citeh nonsense, the backline did their job well , midfield handled it fine and so happy for ollie to get a goal, Second goal was a nice bit of play and well slotted, beginning to look like a top ten side.

Â