Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/21 at 23:59

12 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Big Marv

Woa. That's.....hmm, what is the word I'm looking for? Excellent? Fabulous? Magnificent, splendid, superb, sublime, phenomenal? Wonderful? Something along those lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The difference between what we have now with Dean and what we had with Bruce is huge. A refreshing, progressive manager,  encouraging a young team to play exciting, brave,  winning football, that is winning plaudits across the country.  As opposed to a tired old manager who never really understood the game, except in it’s most basic form. 

Great post. I've always loathed the 'free hit' attitude amongst certain, old-guard managers, whose presence in football is mercifully being fazed out.

• Like 1

My motm   was Watkins. The defence had an easy job. Newcastle offered nothing although Konsa and Targett were very impressive. It wasnt a great game. we controllled it bit played well within ourselves. Luiz although playing further forward was poor, it puts to bed that hes anything other than a DM in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Also, the other thing I wanted to mention, the reason a manager tends to replace one senior professional with another, as in SJM with Marvelous, instead of automatically going for a youth product like Ramsay, is because the manager needs a harmonious squad all working together. The kids know they have to be exceptional to muscle a senior pro out of the first team. If not, instead of getting the beaming smile Trez took to the field with, you get that look Jack wore trudging off, with the game wrapped up and minutes to go, a tight hamstring, and a yellow card away from missing the next game after sneakily elbowing someone in the head!

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

quite a low key performance tbh, too casual, at times i was getting annoyed that we are almost playing like a training match.

Cash, Targett, Watkins and Konsa were immense.

Nakamba looked ok, didnt embarrass himself, was busy and worked hard, but you can see he is very limited when he has the ball.

Luiz looked really poor for me, at times he looked like he even had trouble balancing (honestly).

Barkley also looked very poor, hopefully he just needs to build fitness, but he was really poor.

cant wait for McGinn to be back, and have Sanson in the mix!

I think Nakamba misplaced one pass all evening out of 65 odd attempts.

Granted there weren’t any defence splitting passes amongst that but I thought he did far better than okay particularly considering how little game time he’s had this season.

You do of course have to factor in the opposition but you can only play what’s in front of you.

• Like 1

Now I'm wondering if any of you lot may have celebrated last night with a bottle or two of Newcastle Brown Ale, one of the many, too many, beers that I like.  I'd have liked to but couldn't due to my now annual Dry January. Boo. : <  Curse you pesky Dry January ! 

Edited by robby b

2 hours ago, robby b said:

Now I'm wondering if any of you lot may have celebrated last night with a bottle or two of Newcastle Brown Ale, one of the many, too many, beers that I like.  I'd have liked to but couldn't due to my now annual Dry January. Boo. : <  Curse you pesky Dry January ! 

If you must have a dry month, surely February, as the shortest month, is your best bet. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Bruce after the game saying that they gifted us a goal, t

Poor poor Newcastle fans.

I have some sympathy for Bruce's statement. To me me it was poor goalkeeping. If Newcastle had a Martinez in goal, Ollie would not have a ball to head in.

2 hours ago, robby b said:

wondering if any of you lot may have celebrated last night with a bottle or two of Newcastle Brown Ale,

Never could get the hang of Newquay Brawn Ale ...  much overated in my book.

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I have some sympathy for Bruce's statement. To me me it was poor goalkeeping. If Newcastle had a Martinez in goal, Ollie would not have a ball to head in.

Yeah it was more a reaction to how Bruce tries to deflect the responsibility he has, like he did at Villa all the time, it doesn't really matter if they gifted us a goal when they play turgid and poor the whole game and we score more goals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

I think it was the Sky match report writer who said yesterday they suppose he flapped because he didn't seem to know if he could handle it or not, because of wondering whether or not it might be classed as a back pass. But surely it was just a deflection resulting from an attempted clearance/block, not an attempted back pass to the keeper.

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

I think it was the Sky match report writer who said yesterday they suppose he flapped because he didn't seem to know if he could handle it or not, because of wondering whether or not it might be classed as a back pass. But surely it was just a deflection resulting from an attempted clearance/block, not an attempted back pass to the keeper.

That may well be ... I have every sympathy for the goalkeeper,  but coming off his line and not taking the ball? But it did not look like a back pass to me either.

• Like 1

A football match that from a Villa perspective, was very enjoyable indeed. Plenty of positive performances through the team, and a nice 'in off the underside of the bar' special from Bertie. I like those kind of 'dramatic' goals - so long as it's us that score them!! Chuffed for the team, and for the manager... especially pleased for Watkins. His overall play deserves goals. A very likeable player - so keep on going Ollie, probably my favourite Villa player just now. With honourable mentions for Konsa too, who seems to go from strength to strength. England can't be far away for him. 

Nice to see Nakamba do well when brought back into the side. 

I think we perhaps could have ground out more goals from our performance, but maybe we were holding ourselves back a bit. There will be tougher games to come - Burnley certainly not a cake walk given their current form. 

Up the Villa everyone... This, is a good spell for us to be a fan. 

• Like 1

As good as our defenders were, and Marvelous in the middle, I gave MOTM to Ollie. He was tireless up front. Got his goal through tenacity. Was a constant outlet and ran the whole backline ragged all match. He even had a scruffy kit at the end just for good measure. A proper centre forward's performance from him, and I still think he's lacking a bit of confidence. I still think he hasn't got over all the decisions that have gone against him because he seems to wear that resigned expression on his face. But he never stops. He goes again and he gets his rewards.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BOF said:

As good as our defenders were, and Marvelous in the middle, I gave MOTM to Ollie. He was tireless up front. Got his goal through tenacity. Was a constant outlet and ran the whole backline ragged all match. He even had a scruffy kit at the end just for good measure. A proper centre forward's performance from him, and I still think he's lacking a bit of confidence. I still think he hasn't got over all the decisions that have gone against him because he seems to wear that resigned expression on his face. But he never stops. He goes again and he gets his rewards.

There's no way his attitude doesn't affect everyone else as well.

When you're shagged in the 80th min, a clearance goes over your head and you see Ollie charge after it and win a throw 70 yards up the pitch it would give you such a boost. Plus I bet it ekes out an extra 5 mins out of your legs thinking well if he's running that much, I can do it as well.

Â