General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

from https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/which-football-teams-do-premier-league-referees-support/bltc5a6db7933177b98

What a **** coincidence that none of the Premier League refs has declared support for a Sky 6 side, despite them being the most widely supported clubs in the country.

Unfortunately I know for a fact that Mike Dean is a huge Tranmere fan. I’ve had the “pleasure” of meeting him a few times when I was on the circuit in Cheshire/Merseyside. He’s actually somewhere between a nice enough bloke but arrogant as ****. 

I’ll add as well that I believe they support the lower teams. Refs tend to be more working class. Essentially local folk who were too shit to play football and also need pocket money. Tend to support local teams. What concerns me is the “unknowns”. It should be public. 

I’ll also add that I have refereed the Aston Villa youth teams more than once lol but I guess they don’t care at that level. I’d never be bias and I don’t believe most refs would, although it’s becoming hard to believe that with the top flight refs. I wonder if the longer you spend at the top flight the more you’re swayed by the big teams and big names as it makes your life a bit easier…

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

No, the assistant first said offside. The onfield ref changed the assistant’s call. VAR was not involved.

We need some kind of backup system in place for times when VAR don’t stop a clear and obvious error. VAR2 maybe? 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I’ll add as well that I believe they support the lower teams. Refs tend to be more working class. Essentially local folk who were too shit to play football and also need pocket money. Tend to support local teams. What concerns me is the “unknowns”. It should be public. 

Boys, I will now show you what we do with those who speak out of turn. To the front of the class with you, Master Spoony…

B23593CB-1D65-428F-B010-46A7B81F645C.jpeg.311d0bbff17f56794da67ab9e2684e57.jpeg

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We need some kind of backup system in place for times when VAR don’t stop a clear and obvious error. VAR2 maybe? 

Adjourn the game and take it to the VAR of Appeal and then after that the Supreme VAR. 

• Like 1

We need to hear what these fools are saying to each other. That goal today was a total disgrace. I think even rashford expected it to be ruled out.

They need to be heard so we can all understand the rationale behind decisions like that otherwise we’ll just have to assume it’s good old fashioned corruption to favour united again.

It’s annoying they don’t even show what they are looking at on the screens at the games, had to have my mate txt me to say buendia’s goal was one last night before they announced it in the stadium

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

In american sports the refs are miced up and explain their decision. When there is a challenge which is the same as VAR. Still some calls I disagree with but better overall.

I think the unofficial reason for not doing it is that you’ll end up hearing all the bad language the players use and the disgusting way they speak to the officials. I suspect the broadcasters would have a problem with that.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I think the unofficial reason for not doing it is that you’ll end up hearing all the bad language the players use and the disgusting way they speak to the officials. I suspect the broadcasters would have a problem with that.

In cricket you only hear what the TV umpire is saying.  At least that way you get an idea of what's going on.

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Ivan Toney scammed a penalty there and is lauded for it. The duality of punditry. 

He didn't scam a penalty, just inept refereeing. VAR is supposed to overrule those kind of on field decisions

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Makes the product entertaining though doesn't it...

Another Monday morning dominating the water cooler chat secured by the world's most exciting league

Agreed, but it's actually making me personally watch less and less football.

49 minutes ago, a-k said:

He didn't scam a penalty, just inept refereeing. VAR is supposed to overrule those kind of on field decisions

I mean, he did.  He grabbed a players' arm and then fell over.  Or, as the pundits like to call it when an English player is involved, he "was clever".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, he did.  He grabbed a players' arm and then fell over.  Or, as the pundits like to call it when an English player is involved, he "was clever".

I agree 100%, never a penalty and should have been a FK the other way. In a way you can see how the on field ref has given it, but an absolutely ridiculous decision that VAR hasn't overturned it

• Like 1

Â