General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

I can’t believe Sabitzer didn’t get a red card yesterday, it beggars belief honestly. Sure, in the end there was no damage but that’s not been the barometer for measuring the punishment previously. I’m 100% confident that had it been any Leicester player making that challenge in the same game, they’d have been sent off.

Nketiah not getting a yellow for a blatant dive right in front of the ref in our game. Their 3rd goal being allowed when goals have been disallowed previously for the same thing (offside players in the goalkeepers line of sight).

There were probably other dodgy decisions that aren’t coming to mind, this on top of last weekends horror show. 

I keep saying it but they somehow need to work ex-players into the officiating, whether it be on field or VAR, at least for the top levels of match officiating. Your typical PL player will have no interest or motivation to get involved of course but maybe look to pick up the ones whose careers are cut short by injury, or lower league players who need the income. You’d need a stringent selection process I guess because most of those ex-players will have allegiances to various clubs but I’m sure that could be managed similarly to how current refs are not selected for the teams they support.

Something has to improve because VAR and the referees are conspiring, inadvertently yeah, but nevertheless both contributing heavily to football becoming really quite shit.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I keep saying it but they somehow need to work ex-players into the officiating, whether it be on field or VAR, at least for the top levels of match officiating. Your typical PL player will have no interest or motivation to get involved of course but maybe look to pick up the ones whose careers are cut short by injury, or lower league players who need the income. You’d need a stringent selection process I guess because most of those ex-players will have allegiances to various clubs but I’m sure that could be managed similarly to how current refs are not selected for the teams they support.

Something has to improve because VAR and the referees are conspiring, inadvertently yeah, but nevertheless both contributing heavily to football becoming really quite shit.

what they really need to do imo is get released academy products who don't make it to the senior level and provide a pathway for them to get refereeing courses and help moving up the ladder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I can’t believe Sabitzer didn’t get a red card yesterday, it beggars belief honestly. Sure, in the end there was no damage but that’s not been the barometer for measuring the punishment previously. I’m 100% confident that had it been any Leicester player making that challenge in the same game, they’d have been sent off.

I didn't think it was a red for Sabitzer.  He didn't stamp down properly so it wasn't that dangerous.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I didn't think it was a red for Sabitzer.  He didn't stamp down properly so it wasn't that dangerous.

Well then I guess all the tech and all the refs in the world can’t reach a right decision in that case then, I don’t know how much more of a red card it could have been, leading with the studs above the knee, that has all the potential to end someone’s career, the fact that it didn’t shouldn’t have so much bearing.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well then I guess all the tech and all the refs in the world can’t reach a right decision in that case then, I don’t know how much more of a red card it could have been, leading with the studs above the knee, that has all the potential to end someone’s career, the fact that it didn’t shouldn’t have so much bearing.

It didn't because he didn't go in full force at all, which makes the challenge not that dangerous.  It's a completely different situation if he actually goes through with full force (or even 3/4 force).

Went on the Everton forum to see what they thought of the ref yesterday, was expecting them to be fuming over the Onana and Doucoure yellow cards, the commentary team I had were convinced neither were yellow card offences, not talked about that much but they did think the ref was poor

Was did surprise me was how many of them think the penalty was a 50/50,it was a stone waller, also a few of them think pickford on Ollie was a penalty which to be fair I did at first but on the replays I wasn't too bothered about

Did see an interesting suggestion though, the refs shouldn't be leading the players out and picking the ball up, the refs should be an almost unknown element rather than the first thing we all see, it immediately puts too much emphasis on them, I like that and agree

• Like 2

The standard is the absolute lowest it’s ever been. 

The new ‘letting things go’ directive allowing refs to influence the game by giving no fouls and no yellow cards leading to bad injuries and cloggers committing 4/5 fouls with no booking

VAR seemingly being a coin flip with obvious decisions being missed or just blatantly wrong

its maddening. 

Looks like the general rule on handball is that handball from defending crosses is prohibited (again), but handball from defender saving a direct shot on goal is fine. I'm sure that's all in the rule book.

Edited by HongKongVillan

5 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Looks like the general rule on handball is that handball from defending crosses is prohibited (again), but handball from defender saving a direct shot on goal is fine. I'm sure that's all in the rule book.

Based on the arsenal game misreading a dropping ball and it hitting your hand is OK too

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

I know we won but wow that Zaha decision looked onside. Ref was dreadful also

Did it? On the screens at the ground it looked clearly off. Close, but off. 

But then again I wasn’t exactly close to the screens so happy to be corrected

Let the game flow.

Shock face when people are hobbling off injured and you're dishing out cards for fun on 60 minutes after everyone has got away with murder

How do they, year on year, make the standards and rules even shitter?

Actually impressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Did it? On the screens at the ground it looked clearly off. Close, but off. 

But then again I wasn’t exactly close to the screens so happy to be corrected

On TV screens Konsa I think looked to play him slightly onside. Was close but would be fuming other way around

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On TV screens Konsa I think looked to play him slightly onside. Was close but would be fuming other way around

It’s one of those where if there was no VAR then everybody would have just said he was level and moved on. There was no more in it than that Wesley offside against Burnley.

Having to wait a couple of minutes while the officials micro-analyse a screen shot which isn’t particularly accurate in itself is boring.

As you say we’d be fuming with it the other way around so even when it’s in our favour I have no issue in saying that those sort of decisions are half of the problem with VAR. 

Offside is one of few factual decisions they can make (theoretically, down to technical limitations), so I've no problem with them taking a little time to get it right (and automation will further help this). Zaha was offside and the decision was correct. It also sounds like the linesman gave it too afterwards so it's actually one that pre-VAR would've been ruled out and everyone would've moved on (rightly so in this case).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s one of those where if there was no VAR then everybody would have just said he was level and moved on. There was no more in it than that Wesley offside against Burnley.

Having to wait a couple of minutes while the officials micro-analyse a screen shot which isn’t particularly accurate in itself is boring.

As you say we’d be fuming with it the other way around so even when it’s in our favour I have no issue in saying that those sort of decisions are half of the problem with VAR. 

You know this is objectively wrong right? He’s like a foot off 🤣 Wesley was a cm off based on very zoomed in lines. 

zaha was clearly off, it’s not controversial in the slightest. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Â